Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Change behavior of contextual menus?

Change behavior of contextual menus?
Sebastien
Apr 27, 2001, 02:46 PM

I was wondering if there's an app or a resedit that'll change the behavior of context menus (OS8/9)?

What I'm looking for is this: only clicking once (I have a 2 button Itellimouse) to get the menu, and it not disappearing/selecting something automatically until I actually left (normal) click on an item (or outside the menu to cancel it)

Also, is there a way for the system to 'precache' the context menus? Every time I bring it up for the first time it seems to take ages to appear (arrrrg!)

Thx,
Seb

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2001, 03:52 PM

a partial solution is an excellent shareware app "look mom no hands", i've used it with 8.6 thru 9.1

try www.versiontracker.com

"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

ellis
Apr 27, 2001, 07:06 PM

Along the same lines, for its many many customizeable contextual menu enhancements (and more), FinderPop is also highly recommended. Check it out at http://www.finderpop.com/

Cipher13
Apr 27, 2001, 09:45 PM

It can't precache it because its options for every file are different - certain modules slow it down, not the menu itself.
Like if you have the BeHierarchic plugin, for example. They have to work out what to display...

It doesn't slow it down by much though...

To get it to 'stick', do a quick click, don't hold it. Same with menus.

Now, if it takes a second to register the click, it might fall away... but the functionality you seek is already there. Just a few bugs/probs with it...

------------------

[This message has been edited by Cipher13 (edited 04-27-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules