Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 2014-2015 NHL Season Thread

2014-2015 NHL Season Thread
Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2014, 11:31 AM

It's finally here! Opening night for the 2014-2015 NHL Season!

I'm a Washington Capitals fan. Last year was horrific and I place significant blame on both the former GM (George McFee) and the former coach (Adam Oates). Ownership did something I didn't think they had the guts to do and fired both of them. We were fortunate to be able to hire former Nashville Head Coach Barry Trotz. As far as the GM goes, I was disappointed they went in house and promoted the Assistant GM. However, he made some strong, gutsy moves, acquiring both Brooks Orpik and Matt Niskanen as free agents, thus making our defense significantly better. Overpayment? Perhaps. I'm more worried about the term they gave Orpik but time will tell.

As former GM used to say, "I like our team". On paper, we have a strong group of forwards with balanced lines. Defense *should* be significantly better than last year, which hopefully will translate into Holtby (goalie) also having a better year. It remains to be seen if our 19 year old 2nd line center, Burokovsky, who made the team thanks to a strong preseason, can handle a full NHL season and not be overwhelmed. He's talented and will be fun to watch.

I'm expecting us to make the playoffs and will consider it a great season if they get through the second round.

What about you? How are you feeling about your team? Any big changes/acquisitions? Are you predicting a strong year or are you resigned to your team struggling?

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
Overpayment? Absolutely.
Fixed?

Seriously though, Niskanen revived his career in Pitt and has looked good. But I haven't for the life of me spoken to anyone who thinks the Orpik contract wasn't a gross overpay with strong potential to become an albatross contract.

Canadiens look solid, and again will go as Price goes. I don't understand the blustering with Subban if they were going to give him that contract anyway (I mean...then what was he asking for if that was the result? ), but it's a small and reasonable overpay to lock up a top-5 defenceman (and marketing dream) throughout his prime.

But they lost Vanek (such as he contributed) and it seems like they will struggle to score. They had terrible possession numbers, so it's possible some of last year's success was a fluke, or perhaps entirely based on Price's dominance. At the very least they should be a playoff team on paper, but I guess that depends on whether they regress because of the above, and if there are any surprises in the other eastern teams.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Mrjinglesusa  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2014, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Fixed?

Seriously though, Niskanen revived his career in Pitt and has looked good. But I haven't for the life of me spoken to anyone who thinks the Orpik contract wasn't a gross overpay with strong potential to become an albatross contract.
Ha. Yeah, that's the consensus. But it's something that can/will be dealt with when the time comes. For now, he makes the defense better. Question is how long that lasts.

Did you see that Subban said in an interview that he sometimes farts on purpose near the goal crease to piss off/distract the oppossing goalie? Really?

Caps first game of the season is versus Montreal. At home. I'll be there!

Forum Links
Forum Rules