Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > USB Port on 15"

USB Port on 15"
(",)PB12
Dec 22, 2003, 09:22 AM

I just recently bought a new powerbook 15". Every thing is fine except for a glitch that bugs me. Ok there are 2 usb ports on the 15, one on the left and one on the right. I just realised that the left usb port supports plug and play while the right does not. So far i've only tried them with my mcally DOT mouse so i'm not sure if its the mouse or just the port. But the right port is not spoilt though, it still works just that it doesn't detect the mouse on the fly like the left port does. Is this a problem ?? THanks alot for any comments regarding matter.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2003, 11:55 AM

Both of My USB works....
I thought the whole thing about USB was it was all about Plug and Play?

jcgerm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2003, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by (",)PB12:
I just recently bought a new powerbook 15". Every thing is fine except for a glitch that bugs me. Ok there are 2 usb ports on the 15, one on the left and one on the right. I just realised that the left usb port supports plug and play while the right does not. So far i've only tried them with my mcally DOT mouse so i'm not sure if its the mouse or just the port. But the right port is not spoilt though, it still works just that it doesn't detect the mouse on the fly like the left port does. Is this a problem ?? THanks alot for any comments regarding matter.
Mine both seem to work fine. It detected a keyboard just fine.

(",)PB12  (op)
Dec 22, 2003, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the reply you guys. Both my usb port works fine jsut that the right usb port doesn't seem to be able to detect the mouse when i plug it in after it boots up. But if i plug it in before i boot up every thing is just as per normal. No big porblem just that the feeling of not getting it perfect bugs me. by the way do you guys run panther or jaguar. I'm thinking it might be some software ware issues with panther since i'm having panther on my laptop. thanks alot anywayz.

PBG4 User
Senior User
Dec 23, 2003, 03:45 PM

I've found the USB ports sometimes become "deactivated" (for lack of a better word) upon waking from sleep. There is a thread about this on Apple's discussion forums.
20" iMac G5! :D AND MacBook 1.83GHz!
Canon Digital Rebel Kit + 75 - 300mm lens. Yum Yum! :D
Check out my OS X Musical Scales program

Jaeger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2003, 04:00 PM

What really bugs me is how 'wiggly' the plugs are in the ports - it's rather unnerving.

Forum Links
Forum Rules