Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > lexmark drivers suck?

lexmark drivers suck?
egg
Jan 10, 2004, 02:57 PM

all was well with my powerbook until installing the drivers for my lexmark x73.

since then, the unit is everso sluggish and acts like it's a bit ill.

At the extreme, my usb mouse is uncontrollable, and jumping all over the screen... My Fire chat software seems to take forever to load... and i see more beachballs than ever before.

IF i kill the lexmark process which is always running in the back ground... then most of these problems go away.

what's up with this?! :-(

Tantrum
Jan 10, 2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by egg:
all was well with my powerbook until installing the drivers for my lexmark x73.

since then, the unit is everso sluggish and acts like it's a bit ill.

At the extreme, my usb mouse is uncontrollable, and jumping all over the screen... My Fire chat software seems to take forever to load... and i see more beachballs than ever before.

IF i kill the lexmark process which is always running in the back ground... then most of these problems go away.

what's up with this?! :-(
maybe the driver isn't for the mac...i can't seem to find a driver for my pb (lexmark6150)
Powerbook Al 15"/1.25 GHZ/60 GB/512 MB/Airport/Bluetooth/Combo w/ 10.3
iPod 20 GB

Chris Grande
Senior User
Jan 11, 2004, 03:38 AM

Well I have a Lexmark z52 and the drivers work just fine, and I use the printer via AirPort Extreme. The GIMP print drivers that come with 10.3 work fine but the colors seem to come out very pastel while the Lexmark driver gives me more vibrant color.

The only that I hated was cosmetic and that was the prtinter icon Lexmark included...it was a physical picture of my printer taken on some table with a piece of paper stuck in it...that had to go.

Prijker
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2004, 09:42 AM

I have a Z52 in Panther, and everything works fine.
Right, the CUPS drivers are not as good as Lexmark's as far as colour printing is important.
just a note: the Z52 driver is the same since OSX 10.2, ie, there's no Panther update.

Vic

(",)PB12
Jan 13, 2004, 07:23 PM

I have a z42 and apparently there's no 10.3 update for my printer from lexmark.com I've been using the CUPS 4.2.5(provided for by Panther 10.3) for my printer on 10.3 But there seems to be a problem. Whenever my print job is done the printer icon on the dock doesn't seem to go away(doesn't quit on its own). And when i click on the icon the printer utility will show my print job as not being done yet. What is wrong?

Accordingly, there are 2 versions of the z42 being manufactured, the 001 and 002. I'm not sure if the problems i'm experiencing is due to incompatibility with the CUPS driver since mine is 001. Is the CUPS meant just for the 002? Any other z42 owners facing the same problem?

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2004, 11:19 PM

I have a Lexmark Z42 and found that the default CUPS drivers that came with Panther don't work. So, I went and re-installed the Lexmark driver that can be found here:

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-per...me=&fileID=881

My model is the -001 if that helps.

(",)PB12
Jan 14, 2004, 12:11 AM

I've tried this particular driver myself. It is a little unstable and unpredictable. I've decided to uninstall it and hoping i could find a permanent fix through gimp/cups but apparently to no avail. might just hvae to switch to a new model after all its been 3 yrs. well it depends. Thanks anyway.

lsumharper
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2004, 11:02 AM

THe x73 driver is horable. I had done extensive trouble shooting on my PB 12inch by myself and with Lexmark and after every print the system becomes unusably slow and required a reboot.

We bought a HP 2650 this weekend and it works GREAT, no system performce issues, fast and great print qualtiy. I am going to get a standalone scanner at some point.

Matthew.

egg  (op)
Jan 15, 2004, 09:40 AM

I think I have the solution.

The Lexmark driver installs an app called "Lexmark x73 Monitor". This process will run regardless of whether you have a printer connected. This process will kill your CPU and bring your Mac to it's knees!

The solution is to open/examine the scan/print application package. Within the contents folder, you'll see the Lexmark x73 Monitor application. Simply delete this*.

You'll never this process again and your machine should work perfectly again!!

* (You'll lose the ability to use the buttons on the printer though.)

For those with problems, let me know if this helps!

(edited post to change mistake in model number)
( Last edited by egg; Jan 15, 2004 at 11:09 AM. )

cenutrio
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 10:56 AM

I also have problems with a Lexmark Optra 312 and 310.

Forum Links
Forum Rules