Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > I need System 7.5.5...

I need System 7.5.5...
Seamus
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 08:17 PM

I recently acquired a Mac SE/30, but the operating system is toast. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of system 7.5.5 on floppy?
I'm a bad...motherf%#!ing DJ

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2003, 01:01 PM

You can download it from Apple's older software downloads and then make floppies from that.
Well, they have 7.5.3 available for download, and also an update to get you to 7.5.5.

jasonyates
Mar 12, 2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by Seamus:
I recently acquired a Mac SE/30, but the operating system is toast. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of system 7.5.5 on floppy?
If you poke around Apple's FTP site you will see that they have System 7.5.3, and the 7.5.5 updater available for download. I don't know if you have ethernet on the SE/30, but if you do you can also download the System 7.5 Network Access disk, boot from that, and then just do the install over your network. Otherwise you will have to make a bunch of disks to install from.

Either way, I have an SE/30 running 7.5.5 and it works very well. When you do the install, I would suggest going into the custom setup and basicly taking out all the optional software, as you don't need much more than the core operating system, and there is no need to waste memory and disk space.. If you have a network I would also recommend picking up a network card from eBay, as it is fun to be able to get online with the SE/30. (Or maybe I'm just a geek.) There is also memory and hard drives to be had on eBay for pretty cheap. An SE/30 with some memory, a decent hard drive, and network access can make a (somewhat) surprisingly capable little machine.

-Jason

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2003, 06:13 AM

Do they have System 6 for download LOL I pluged in my plus the dam thing still works!
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

jasonyates
Mar 13, 2003, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
Do they have System 6 for download LOL I pluged in my plus the dam thing still works!
They do actually; You can get as new as 6.0.8 I believe.

-Jason

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2003, 09:46 PM

IIRC, system software before a certain point was free. I think that it was with System 7 that Apple really started to sell the OS.
Agent69

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2003, 02:18 AM

Originally posted by Agent69:
IIRC, system software before a certain point was free. I think that it was with System 7 that Apple really started to sell the OS.
Sure be nice if that was the case now!

Forum Links
Forum Rules