Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Do you know any Good DJ Mixing Software?

Do you know any Good DJ Mixing Software?
kmarketing
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 4, 2004, 09:27 PM

Hi,

I am not a DJ, but I want to be able to mix some of the music that I already own.

Do you know of any good software (for pc and/or mac) that would be good for this?

Please let me know of any links, reviews, and prices.

Thanks so much!!

macx0r
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2004, 11:43 PM

it may be more than what you're willing to spend for this stuff, but Traktor DJ Studio (for both PC & Mac) is probably the best DJ software i've ever used.

it's as easy or as flexible/complex as you want it to be. it's around $230 though for the software. There's a cheaper version called Traktor DJ but i'm not sure what the feature limitations are.

traktor: http://www.nativeinstruments.de

another one I hear people like is MegaSeg: http://megaseg.com

versiontracker returned a few freeware/cheap shareware options but YMMV with those (haven't tested any)

nica
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 5, 2004, 01:13 AM

Here is an article on wired magazine about this DJ that uses Final Scrath

JimKane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2004, 07:05 AM

I am a mobile DJ & former club DJ.

Personally, I use MegaSeg on my Mac. It is not the greatest software out there but does do a fair job after you take the time to learn and set it up. I still like the offerings on the PC-side much better as they have better automation features.

IIRC, Final Scratch is a hardware/software interface with Traktor that allows you to use a couple turntables to control the mix. If you desire a hands on mixing solution, this is truly the only way to go. Since I never did much cutting or scratching myself, I couldn't see the point of still needing to lug in tables to every event. Although, I might have considered it for a club install as you have different needs in those situations.

I haven't played with stand-alone Traktor much as when I was doing feature set evaluations for my business, it lacked in a few key areas for our needs. Once I get some time I do plan to play with the demo, but I'm currently regenerating the library since my Echo Audio card is revealing the limitations of CBR128 AAC.

There were a few other Denon-styled software packages out there such as DJ-1800 or Baytex Party! I haven't tried these at all however.

Forum Links
Forum Rules