Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Any Sample Resumes?

Any Sample Resumes?
KeriVit
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2004, 10:08 PM

I'm in the process of updating my resume- which I haven't done in 8 years. Just having some trouble with the written part. I'm not sure how much detail to go into, low long it should be etc.

I have received many resumes over the years and I know what I tend to throw away and what I keep, but when it comes to my own, I am having trouble. I know I will tie it in with a digital portfolio and I've got the presentation down-

can anyone help me tie it together? Do you have any samples you'd like to share that have worked for you in the past?

Any help would be great.

BTW- this is for an application to graduate school- ten years after undergrad...

Thanks

Kikaida
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
I'm in the process of updating my resume- which I haven't done in 8 years. Just having some trouble with the written part. I'm not sure how much detail to go into, low long it should be etc.

I have received many resumes over the years and I know what I tend to throw away and what I keep, but when it comes to my own, I am having trouble. I know I will tie it in with a digital portfolio and I've got the presentation down-

can anyone help me tie it together? Do you have any samples you'd like to share that have worked for you in the past?

Any help would be great.

BTW- this is for an application to graduate school- ten years after undergrad...

Thanks
Some things to consider:
- These days, resumes are not read, they're processed. Both HR and educational institutions are constantly trying to manage the volume of resumes/applications/etc. they receive and have turned to automation processes like parsing word documents to add your info to their database.
- That said, stick with the standard Microsoft Word doc. Yes, your output will be typographically boring and bland, but it won't "jam up the works". Remember, it's a business doc, not your portfolio.
- Closely consider your resume's structure. Review Monster, HotJobs and other job site's resume builder apps for ideas. I would also review job listings for your field to see what information employers are looking for. Try to see yourself from their perspective and present yourself accordingly.

Hope this helps you get started.

Kikaida

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 11:01 PM

Interesting point. Thank you.

phataccord04
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 4, 2005, 12:19 PM

yes when i was on a hiring comitee where I work (education) we got so many resumes it was disgusting. Mind you that the main concern was education background (did the person graduate college?) But just amke sure its not wordy or anything like that just nice and clean
PB G4 1.33 15" Combo Drive 1,256 Mem :)

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2005, 01:43 PM

I'll throw mine out there if you're curious. It's for an architecture job, actually, but sort of applicable. I ran across a post here a few years back on graphics design / creative-type job resumes, and that's where I got most of my pointers. It's by no means perfect, but hope it maybe gives you some ideas.

http://www.avenirex.com/v6/resume.pdf

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

KeriVit  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2005, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by Avenir:
I'll throw mine out there if you're curious. It's for an architecture job, actually, but sort of applicable. I ran across a post here a few years back on graphics design / creative-type job resumes, and that's where I got most of my pointers. It's by no means perfect, but hope it maybe gives you some ideas.

http://www.avenirex.com/v6/resume.pdf
Thank Avenir- everything helps. I like how it is broken up too!

Funny- Avenir is the font I am currently using..

Avenir
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2005, 10:54 PM

Originally posted by KeriVit:
Thank Avenir- everything helps. I like how it is broken up too!

Funny- Avenir is the font I am currently using..
glad you liked it. As a precaution to it: I have had a business major/interviewer tell me never to show it for any job outside of a creative field. Said it might get thrown in the trash just for looking out of the ordinary. Oh well, guess that's why I don't like boring jobs that are outside of the creative field

spike[at]avenirex[dot]com | Avenirex
IM - Avenirx | ICQ - 3932806

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Jan 6, 2005, 12:04 AM

( Last edited by spiky_dog; Jan 6, 2005 at 01:37 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules