Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How long will you let your G4 iBook ...

How long will you let your G4 iBook ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 5, 2005, 06:43 PM

sleep before shutting it down? Is it okay to let mine sleep for hours on end?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Applefreak01
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 06:55 PM

I don't have a iBook G4 just the G3. I just close the lid and it goes to sleep. Never had any problems with it. The only times I've restarted/shutdown it are after updates that need to restart or if there's a storm outside then I'll completely shut it down.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

im_noahselby
Senior User
Mar 5, 2005, 07:37 PM

I have a 12" PowerBook, and I rarely ever shut it down anymore. The only time I ever have to shut it down is when an update requires that I do. I usually shut it down anyways, once a week, just to keep everything running smoothly and the only other time I find a shutdown useful is right before I load up an intensive game.

Noah
Macbook 2.0 Ghz - Black
iPhone 4GB - Fido

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 5, 2005, 08:01 PM

You can let it sleep for as long as it has power, either from the battery or from the power adapter. I don't know the repercussions of letting the battery run down completely while the computer is sleeping, but you shouldn't let it get that far. An iBook can sleep for hours on end without any problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 5, 2005, 08:10 PM

I reboot every 2 or 3 days just to refresh the ram

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2005, 08:45 PM

I usually restart about every 10-12 days, or if I install an update that requires a reboot.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2005, 03:32 AM

the one feature that I do miss from Windows XP/2000 is hibernate. I really wish Apple would add that feature.

And my iMac is on 24/7 and gets rebooted maybe twice a month at best. My 2 servers have been running 24/7 one for 6 years and the other for 4 years.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

cold aspiration
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 04:38 AM

what is the difference between hibernate and sleep mode?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2005, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by cold aspiration:
what is the difference between hibernate and sleep mode?
hibernate saves everything from RAM to a temp file on the hard drive and shuts off the computer. When you turn it back on it reloads whats in that temp file back into memory and its like you never stopped working on your computer. Only things that get affected are instant messengers which have to reconnect to the internet. With sleep it reduces port to most areas of the computer but leaves enough on to keep the memory going. If you turn off the computer when its sleeping you lost everything. On my laptop I was making a copy of a DVD and when I got to stage 2, which is put in a blank I had run out. Being lazy I didnt close the program and it took me 7 days to actually get around to burning it. And in that time I turned the laptop off dozens of times.

Side note to my orginally post, generally with laptops you do want to turn off if your not using for a couple reasons.
1 They run warmer and heat isnt good and never EVER leave a laptop on alone if its sitting on a blanket or something blocking the vents
2 Because they usally run warmer you keep the Battery at a warmer temp which does reduce the life of the battery

If your laptop is on the desk then it isnt really much of a problem as long as it has ventalation and if you never run it on the battery just store the battery in a cool place which will pro long it. Desktops dont have these problems.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 12:44 PM

i gotta say.. i much prefer sleep over hibernation.

Wake from sleep... 1 second.
Wake from hibernation... many annoying seconds.

i don't burn a lot of CD/DVDs but when I do it's usually before I need to bring the actual disk somewhere or if i have plenty of free time at home to do so. I'm not claiming it's wrong to be on the move. I just dispise hibernation.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2005, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Ben:
i gotta say.. i much prefer sleep over hibernation.

Wake from sleep... 1 second.
Wake from hibernation... many annoying seconds.

i don't burn a lot of CD/DVDs but when I do it's usually before I need to bring the actual disk somewhere or if i have plenty of free time at home to do so. I'm not claiming it's wrong to be on the move. I just dispise hibernation.
Fortunately, Windows supports both. Hibernation is useful for longer periods of sleep and greater power conservation.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
You can let it sleep for as long as it has power, either from the battery or from the power adapter. I don't know the repercussions of letting the battery run down completely while the computer is sleeping, but you shouldn't let it get that far. An iBook can sleep for hours on end without any problem.
The amount that the battery will drain in sleep mode varies a bit from model to model. I would say my iBook 466 loses about 3% of its charge per hour of being disconnected and asleep, but that's a really rough estimate. In general, the only time to be concerned about discharge during sleep is if you've put your Mac to sleep when its battery is nearly depleted. In those situations it a better idea to save your work and shut down, because the battery may die before you can get to a charger, and you'll lose unsaved work. Hibernation would be particularly nice in those situations. Ever since I have owned systems capable of sleep mode, I have been using it instead of shutting down.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Balneum
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 10:21 AM

The amount of memory also has to do with the consumption of the battery. When I upgraded from 256 to 768 it needs more fuel to keep it in sleep mode due to the fact that sleep mode keeps some battery life in the memory slots.
"Solitido coeli junua."

iBook G4/1,2 GHz
768 MB
60 GB

KianD
Mar 13, 2005, 10:44 AM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
Fortunately, Windows supports both. Hibernation is useful for longer periods of sleep and greater power conservation.
Hibernation will also keep your Windows session alive whilst you're using a different OS on the same machine. Which is a feature I miss *a lot* from my Dell machine - which was a 1998 system, it was supported that long ago.
Refusing to resign myself to using an Apple full time - cost so far: �152 for a new hard disk for my Vaio, �10 for new IDE cables for my desktop.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Mar 14, 2005, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by Balneum:
The amount of memory also has to do with the consumption of the battery. When I upgraded from 256 to 768 it needs more fuel to keep it in sleep mode due to the fact that sleep mode keeps some battery life in the memory slots.
I have found that my battery life increased after my jump from 256 -> 768 since I need to read from the HD less.

Also, my ibook has been up for 84 days and used every day. I wake it and put it to sleep a few times a day depending on how many classes I have. I only lose maybe 1% charge per hour sleeping and I get 5:30 to 6 hours per charge.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 17, 2005, 11:45 AM

Like others have said, I only restart when my machine says I have to. And since I'm running OS 9, that's a little more frequently than others, since I occasionally get out of memory errors. Otherwise, I close the lid and put 'er to sleep.
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
The amount that the battery will drain in sleep mode varies a bit from model to model. I would say my iBook 466 loses about 3% of its charge per hour of being disconnected and asleep, but that's a really rough estimate.
My iBook 600 loses about 5% over about 8 hours when asleep

siMac
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2005, 04:45 AM

Originally posted by omar96:
And since I'm running OS 9...
Ba haha ha! So it's true, you people do exist!
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2005, 02:28 PM

por que!! omar por que!!
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 27, 2005, 02:32 PM

I haven't shut my iBooks down in the past 4 years except for restarts required for system updates, when I board a plane, or when I'm cleaning them.

ixus_123
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2005, 07:44 AM

I never switch mine off. I recently restarted due to software update but before that I think it was about 3 months of uptime.

Right now it's:

Last login: Thu Mar 24 11:39:04 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[ixus-123s-Computer:~] ixus_123% uptime
12:40PM up 6 days, 17:45, 2 users, load averages: 0.94, 0.92, 0.86
iBook G3 366mhz as a web server:
http://kieren.demon.co.uk/wordpress/

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2005, 12:35 PM

I just sleep my iBook G3 900 as long as I can; only shut it down when going on trips.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

omar96
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 29, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by iREZ:
por que!! omar por que!!
It's been since rectified. The reason is that the iBook (a 500) only came with OS X 10.0.3, which was utter poo. Upgraded it to Panther and now it's an OS X machine.
eMac 1.25GHz | 1.5GB PC2700 | 250GB Maxtor HDD | 8x LiteOn DVD+-RW

Sawtooth 1.5GHz | 1GB PC133 | 120GB Maxtor HDD | 40x CD-RW (external) | 16x DVD-ROM | Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 08:33 PM

i dont shut my ibook down unless i am going on vacation or not using it for days on end.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Forum Links
Forum Rules