Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will there even be April Ibooks??

Will there even be April Ibooks??
Ben17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2005, 04:55 PM

HI, I am new to forum, though I have been visitng for a couple of months, and I am serious about a purchase of the 14" superdirve Ibook. I was waiting for two things : Tiger, and an upgrade. I don't NEED one for the summer, but I need one by the time school starts. However if you've met my brother, that awful kid loves to screw with my stuff. Luckly apple has set a release date for Tiger finally, but about the so-called "April Ibook", will it even occur. I mean if there was to be a new ibook, it would have to come standard with tiger now, and tiger doesn't release till April 29th. So that pretty much cancels that out. So then when do you expect upgrades. I want to buy asap, but I'd hate buying and then finding out a kick ass new model, comes out. Since the PB's got upgrades recently I dont expect dual g4's or g5's, but maybe a 1.5g4, who knows? So when is the latest you would expect an update is what im getting at?

pat++
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 07:42 PM

Only Steve Jobs knows... but iBooks are updated twice a year (usually april and october). The new iBook might show up just after the official Tiger release... They may just need to wait for the release of Tiger to officially ship new machines with Tiger preinstalled.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2005, 09:27 PM

The day before Panther was to go on sale new iBooks where announced. They started selling the same day as Panther so they would come preloaded with the new OS. If April is to bring an update to the iBook the day of the "Tiger" will most likely be the day.

I wouldn't get one now. If you can hold off I believe you won't be sorry.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 15, 2005, 10:50 PM

It only stands to reason that new hardware would be released concurrently or after the next big revision of the operating system. The 29th still leaves a bit of April, does it not?
Nemo me impune lacesset

trip
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2005, 11:24 PM

I think they have to update. Even if they only update to 512 ram, I think it's needed to work 'well' with tiger and give us a reason to buy an ibook. They know the maxed out ibook is the same price as the 12 inch powerbook having better technology. They need to bring c onsumers back to the ibook.
"The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations". --David Friedman

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 08:21 AM

I would love to see any kind of a bump 100-200 more mhz and perhaps a small bump in the HD.

Naturally I would love a wide screen monitor and a bunch of other bells and whistles, but I'll be very satisfied with a bump with Tiger. I think that's what I'm holding out for at this point.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by trip
I think they have to update. Even if they only update to 512 ram, I think it's needed to work 'well' with tiger and give us a reason to buy an ibook. They know the maxed out ibook is the same price as the 12 inch powerbook having better technology. They need to bring c onsumers back to the ibook.
I think the iBook is very much still on the consumer radar. The fact that Apple even offers a well stocked $999 notebook is amazing to anyone that's been around the Apple platform for a number of years.

I don't think many people are maxing out their iBooks other than sticking in a 512 or 1GIG RAM upgrade.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2005, 11:26 AM

I predict an April 26 release for the new iBooks.

Ben17  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 02:01 AM

Well it's gettin close. Just a few days now and I am anxious to see if it may happen. Please make a slight speed boost, PLEASE! I'll get one anyways, but o how I'd love a 1.5 or something. April 29th is so close now, pray for an upgrade, PLEASE....

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 02:20 AM

Sorry, I've just gotta say this:

April iBooks bring May flowers!
Aloha

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 25, 2005, 11:11 AM

I am probably one of the many waiting for the upgrade as well.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 25, 2005, 12:24 PM

if it's only a mhz bump...i don't see why apple wouldn't lower the price $50 or so, if that's the case...i just might sell my pb and get an ibook and a mac mini (roughly the same cost as one 12" PB).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 03:43 PM

I've been close to ordering a refurbished ibook for some time, but I'm waiting to see if it will be updated. A upgraded graphics card would seal the deal for me.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 08:51 PM

April or May. There's got to be an update soon!

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2005, 09:04 PM

A new graphics card would also persuade me into buying one over a PB.

galarneau
Senior User
Apr 25, 2005, 10:17 PM

Ditto that. A better video card would sway me as well.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 27, 2005, 09:06 AM

Ugh, I thought we would get a bump today

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 09:23 AM

Me too. Just the PowerMacs, though.

Voch

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2005, 09:33 AM

I was hoping as well.

Oh, well.

Garage81
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 10:15 AM

maybe a bump is still in order, but amazon just forgot to leak the new ibook information

Mac Mini : 1.66 Core Duo : 2 GB ♥

toffe
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 02:41 PM

Man, i have looked at Apples website every day for an update for a while, and still nothing, and all the rumors got me so excited...

However, I will not give up hope.
And i think/hope that atleast on friday they will come.

p.s.
The upgraded iBook (+Tiger) will be my first mac as i am switching from PC/Windows.

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 03:15 PM

me too

pantalaimon
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by markb8705
me too
where are the new ibooks?!
1.33GHz G4 iBook 12"

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 05:24 AM

The iBooks wouldn't be announced so close to Tiger. Silly thinking. If there's a revision, mid-May seems more likely, I would think.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 05:51 AM

What about the Power Macs, Randman?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Randman
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2005, 05:58 AM

PowerMacs are a little more prosumer than the iBooks, I would think. Plus, pushing the top-of-line machines out at the same time as the low-rung ones would also seem a bit wonky, don't you think?

Besides, the PMs were announced before Tiger, not a few days after it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 07:59 AM

I think the release of Tiger is a good incentive for people to buy the current iBooks, so Apple won't bump them yet.
( Last edited by Voch; Apr 29, 2005 at 09:03 AM. Reason: (forgot a preposition))

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2005, 12:25 PM

No !

-t

nickw311
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 02:14 PM

Well today is the last weekday in April and nothing yet.... I am definantly buying the next revision of the iBook a few months after it is released to make sure there are no major bugs or problems.
27" iMac C2D

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 02:24 PM

Well, this was a letdown. No one expected anymore than a mild update, but for there to be no update just sucks. The worse part is that I don't think the update will be any bigger later, so it will be even more off a letdown, unless Apple surprises us. Nevertheless, I refuse to buy a current generation iBook, for the belief that the next is closer than the previous.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by nickw311
Well today is the last weekday in April and nothing yet.... I am definantly buying the next revision of the iBook a few months after it is released to make sure there are no major bugs or problems.
Unless there are some very different changes, I don't think you'll have to worry. The iBook's design is rock solid, and has been around for many revisions at this point.

Hopefully a rev in the next week or two. For some reason, ThinkSecret mentions iMacs and eMacs soon, but nothing about the iBooks.

dialo
Senior User
Apr 29, 2005, 03:05 PM

I'm starting to get the feeling that we won't be seeing updated ibooks for a while. If there is a speed bump and/or video card upgrade it will push them right up against the powerbooks.

irus
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 03:20 PM

I think the answer is pretty clear.... if Apple changes current iBooks' description to include Tiger, the upgrade will not happen within the next month. However, if the rest of the lineup (iMacs, eMacs, Mac minis) lists Tiger, then the new iBooks are days away.

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 29, 2005, 04:24 PM

what dialo said - no way will ibooks get upspecced so that they start taking any more market share from powerbooks. i figure the most we'll see any time soon will be pretty minor, with a bigger upgrade once the pbs get a decent one (which they sure as hell didn't last time around).

sminch

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 05:06 PM

A clarification: I didn't say Tiger was an incentive for me (or anyone else) to buy a new iBook before any specifications bump...I'm just assume that Apple thinks that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules