Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > anything similar to carbon copy cloner for OS 9?

anything similar to carbon copy cloner for OS 9?
Tennberg
Apr 2, 2003, 12:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I have 2 G4 (1 GHz) PowerBooks coming in this week that will be swapped for 2 older G4 PowerBooks. One of the users is running OS X while the other is running OS 9. For the user with OS X, I am going to use carbon copy cloner to copy his current HD to the new laptop (booting the new machine in FireWire target mode).

My questions is, how would I do this with the OS 9 machine? I want to copy his current HD over to the new laptop as is, so that way I don't have to spend a lot of time on it. What program similar to Carbon Copy Cloner will let me do it? (CCC only seems to be an OS X program...)

Thanks!

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 02:52 AM

You should be able to drag and drop. The main purpose of CCC (I think) is to preserve permissions and copy special, invisible files and folders. It's nice that it's automated too.

subrosasupport
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 08:03 PM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
You should be able to drag and drop. The main purpose of CCC (I think) is to preserve permissions and copy special, invisible files and folders. It's nice that it's automated too.
Depends on what you want to do afterwards. If you just want to do it once, drag 'n' drop is fine. If you want to keep the two system sychronized, or need to back up recent changes, and etc, you may want to look into a backup product such as Tri-Backup or Data Backup.

Gene Jockey
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2003, 01:33 PM

You can clone disks with Disk Copy 6.4. No mucking about with drag and drop, just select a source and target and walk away. Works quite well, my old boss bought a bigger HD for his old G4 and it allowed him to move over everything with no fuss at all. If you poke around on the 'Net you should be able to find it, otherwise feel free to PM me and I'll slide a copy your way.

--Josh

Forum Links
Forum Rules