Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library and DVDProfiler

Delicious Library and DVDProfiler
chainlightning
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 02:12 AM

Hi

I have some Problems with 1.6.2

1. When i enter a UPC like 002986-610298 - the DVD Information will not be found.

2. If i have a XML File like (export from DVD Profiler) - what should i do for importing the File. I want to look how many of my DVDs DM find over Amazon (i have over 1000 DVD). If delicious finds not enough, i stay with DVD Profiler...

<Collection>
<DVD>
<ID>002986610298.5</ID>
<UPC>002986-610298</UPC>
<ProfileTimestamp>2004-05-13 15:47:54</ProfileTimestamp>
<Title>Amos & Andrew - Zwei fast Perfekte Chaoten</Title>
<SortTitle>Amos & Andrew - Zwei fast Perfekte Chaoten</SortTitle>

... and a lot more tag per dvd

</DVD>
</Collection>

chainlightning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2006, 05:29 AM

Hi

I realy like the Design from delicious monster and i dont need that many features like "DVD Profiler" has. But DVD Profiler has one big advantage - a Movie Database build by the Users of DVD Profiler. DVD Profiler runs only on Windows and Windows Mobiles - so maybe there is a chance to get access to the DVD Profiler Database (for a fee or by buying the DVD Profiler License). That would be a Killer Feature, Amazon is not the best source for DVD Information.

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 04:43 AM

Try taking the hyphen out of the barcode number. Also, when you send me that file, I will, as a token of gratitude, convert it to DL format for you, so you can see if it meets your needs.

Oh, and I'm going to merge your other post into this one, since we don't need that many posts talking about DVDProfiler.

-Mike

chainlightning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 9, 2006, 11:57 AM

002986-610298 or 002986610298 - both dont work when i try to enter a new DVD.

Cheers, Reto

P.S. No problem with the merging because of DVD Profiler. But i think DVD Profiler is prob. the most used one, all i know use DVD Profiler and once i bought a DVD the salesman gave me the hint to look at DVD Profiler (i already used it). It does not look very nice, but it does a good job (for a Windows Program ;-) ). DVD Profiler is one of the reason i own a PC (beside of EvE Online, Garmin and Polar). If you need some Beta Tester for DM 2, feel free to ask me.

foodog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2006, 10:18 PM

So I've been working on this a bit. Half the problem seems to be that DVD Profiler doesn't store the entire barcode, e.g. it strips the first digit.

The best bet at this point would be to export your DVD Profiler file as a tab-delimited text file with two columns, one for title, and one for format.

So, bearing in mind you should use real tabs and not the word tab, it would look something like:

title [tab] format
Harold and Kumar go to White Castle [tab] DVD
A Lemur's Tale [tab] DVD
Go [tab] DVD

Make sure you have "Reload Items" checked and import it. This will produce a number of lists, that is, brown movies with blue two-headed arrows, each of which, when highlighted, yields a list of potential matches, which you can then click to add.

I realize this isn't as good as simply having all the titles magically pop up, but I've gone through this process with thousand-item libraries and it doesn't take long and is actually kind of fun. In the meantime, I'll think about how to import DVD Profiler files directly.

-Mike

weldon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster
So I've been working on this a bit. Half the problem seems to be that DVD Profiler doesn't store the entire barcode, e.g. it strips the first digit.
This is a pain. DVD Profiler doesn't use the first and last digits (normally printed in a smaller type size). Of course, this makes it hard when everyone else is expecting to see 12 digits instead of 10. The first digit is "type" and will almost always be 0, 6, or 7. The last digit is a checksum, so it could be calculated. While maybe a special case, it could be possible to write a DVD Profiler import "cleaner" that would try the 10 digit code with a 0, 6, or 7 and then calculate the checksum digit for each entry.

chainlightning  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 02:51 AM

and was does the "type" mean?

Cheers, Reto

P.S. Mike, ty for the information i try it out with the name and i hope ich can remember what DVD i have bought when i get multible results ;-)

weldon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2006, 09:09 AM

I'm reaching the limits of my knowledge here, but a first digit of '3" would indicate pharmaceuticals and stuff from the grocery store that is measured out will typically have a first digit of 2 or 4. I'm not sure what else the NS digit can be used for.
( Last edited by weldon; Jun 12, 2006 at 09:16 AM. )

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 18, 2006, 12:09 AM

Yes, we could guess at the EAN given the UPC, but the problem is, that's an ambiguous search, so you'd still have to pick which item it was, so you might as well just do the title search.

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2006, 03:19 AM

I do have DVDs with type 3 ;-) - i dont think the type i necessarily to be unique with DVDs and the checksum is not needed too, its redundant information.

But i dont know you what possibilities Delicious have to search the amazon database, but at the moment its a hard decision to enter over 1000 DVD by hand and scann the pictures from over 130 DVD (who could not be found at amazon). I think i will wait for Release 2 to see what features Delicious brings and how good it runs before i go to enter my DVDs again.

Cheers, Reto

P.S.

1130 Imported DVDs

- 0 matched
- 133 with a red Exclamation mark sign
- 997 with the blue crossing sign

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jun 29, 2006, 02:08 PM

Amazon is not the best source for DVD Information.
..... And they are not the best source for playstation 2 games. I used the trial version of DM.. and was adding a few games just to see if it was worth the 40 bucks... Out of the 25 games I entered, 3 were not found in the database.. I still had more to enter, but 25 is the limit. So now I'm debating on whether DM is worth it or not.

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2006, 01:03 PM

i think only 3 from 25 - thats not too bad - unless you have over 1000 Games ;-). If your not shure now, then maybe you should wait for the Version 2?

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2006, 12:16 AM

yea.. it's not bad.. I'll have to figure funds right now.. but may still get it.. now I have 165 DVD's.. so I hope it does good on that.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 04:24 AM

Quick tip:

Delicious Library and Amazon's home page use different search algorithms, so if you have something pretty common, like a Playstation game, before resorting to manual entry, try looking it up on Amazon. If you can find it, you can drag the item into Delicious LIbrary and add it that way.

-Mike

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2006, 04:31 AM

Quick tip:

Delicious Library and Amazon's home page use different search algorithms, so if you have something pretty common, like a Playstation game, before resorting to manual entry, try looking it up on Amazon. If you can find it, you can drag the item into Delicious LIbrary and add it that way.

-Mike
That's pretty cool dude... I really like the graphics and the way DM looks.. Yea, sure i'll miss alot of the features of DVDprofiler.. But DM I think is one of the best out there for the Macs. I'd like to have an option on DM for PRICE paid and where the item was bought. Hope those get added soon.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2006, 06:47 PM

For any given item, click on My Info, then the pencil icon to reveal, for example, a purchase price field. There's no purchase place field, but purchase price is alphanumeric, so you can type "$19.99, Barnes and Noble" if you want.

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2006, 12:14 AM

For any given item, click on My Info, then the pencil icon to reveal, for example, a purchase price field. There's no purchase place field, but purchase price is alphanumeric, so you can type "$19.99, Barnes and Noble" if you want.
Cool.. I'm scrouning around for some cash..

iSteve
Forum Regular
Jul 21, 2006, 12:25 AM

Well, DM.. I bought the program. I was looking at another one for 39.00, and I went with DM Library, and couldn't be happier (okay maybe more report options), but I love it, almost as much as I loved my PC version of DVDprofiler!

First here are the stats... I added 149 movies in under 20 minutes! Of those 149, 3 were listed with no pictures (easily fixed!). I had trouble with scanning a few with the iSight camera.. but everthing went GREAT and I love it! Now we just need some report options for printing.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2006, 05:30 AM

Fortunately, more export and print options are in the works.

Forum Links
Forum Rules