Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Gateway Profile4 Commerical - with the iMac

New Gateway Profile4 Commerical - with the iMac
CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 11:09 AM

I just saw the new Profile4 commerical from Gateway on CNBC (they where talking about it) and it shows a bunch of iMacs and the Profile4 jumping around it with the narrartor saying things like "The Profile4 runs thousands more software titles then the iMac" and "The Profile4 is much faster than the iMac"...

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
I just saw the new Profile4 commerical from Gateway on CNBC (they where talking about it) and it shows a bunch of iMacs and the Profile4 jumping around it with the narrartor saying things like "The Profile4 runs thousands more software titles then the iMac" and "The Profile4 is much faster than the iMac"...
Did the ad happen to mention "The Profile4 sounds like a 747 on your desktop"

Amorya
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 11:22 AM

Please, please, let Apple make a response!

Have the imac smiling smugly, while the P4 hops around it. Then a caption "Trying to compensate for something?"

Ok, I suck at writing ads. But an advertising war between Apple and Gateway would be just too funny!

(BTW, I thought it was illegal to mention your competitors in an advert?)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 26, 2002, 11:23 AM

Moving to Lounge.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 11:40 AM

How about a bunch of Profile4's bouncing around like Lemmings one after another, all falling off the same tremendous cliff, while the iMac and his iPod stand together on a precipice with the light of Heaven shining down upon them? Created by Pixar, directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Yea..

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 26, 2002, 11:45 AM

This only means one thing. Apple now has some ground.

When the PC companies are afriad and start advertising, Apple is doing good.

This is a GOOD thing.

CheesePuff  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
This only means one thing. Apple now has some ground.

When the PC companies are afriad and start advertising, Apple is doing good.

This is a GOOD thing.
Hey, yeah, you're right.

You... you... you're good you.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
How about a bunch of Profile4's bouncing around like Lemmings one after another, all falling off the same tremendous cliff, while the iMac and his iPod stand together on a precipice with the light of Heaven shining down upon them? Created by Pixar, directed by Francis Ford Coppola.

Yea..
Sounds good, but Apple would probably hire John Landis and the iMac and iPod would get decapitated during the shoot.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 12:04 PM

I can see why Gateway is doing this- Apple can't keep up with demand for the 17" iMac.

SimeyTheLimey
Posting Junkie
Aug 26, 2002, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by Amorya:
(BTW, I thought it was illegal to mention your competitors in an advert?)
AFAIK, it is in the UK but not in the US. In fact, such direct comparison ads are common here.

mbryda
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 12:17 PM

Considering:
1) Gateway is on the verge of bankrupcy
2) Gateway should not be talking to anyone about speed - arn't they the target of a suit aledging P4 speed is not up to snuff (which we all know it isn't)....

Ken_F2
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 02:10 PM

Gateway just launched the first ever television advertising campaign targetted directly against the Macintosh. The ad campaign that is designed to parody and criticize the Macintosh and iMac for its old/backward technology, slow processors, and high prices.

For more information on the advertising campaign, see this article. For more information on Gateway's new systems (which supposedly run silent, btw), see this page.

Codename
Banned
Aug 26, 2002, 02:25 PM

Go Gateway!

Perhaps still will make Apple get off their asses and introduce a compelling product. There hasn't been one in 3 years and the sales show it.

Apple is probably going to have a really bad quarter. The PowerMac already bombed with the Mac community and has zero appeal to price/performance-aware consumers to the rest of the PC world. The iMac has been stagnant for 9 months with rampant shortages. It's obvious that Apple's multi-million dollar switch campaign is having little effect and probably was a waste of cash.
( Last edited by Codename; Aug 26, 2002 at 02:31 PM. )

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 26, 2002, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by Codename:
[B]Go Gateway!

Perhaps still will make Apple get off their asses and introduce a compelling product. There hasn't been one in 3 years and the sales show it.
So why it is that most PC makers run to copy Apple? Hmmm

Apple is going to have a really bad quarter. The PowerMac already bombed and the iMac has been stagnant for 9 months with rampant shortages.
Heh I read the opposite, Apple should have a good quarter.

But when you are a MS zealot, Apple always has a bad quarter, And Apple is always going out of business forever all the time constantly.

Apple's grave has been dug so many times by zealots that people in China are using Macs.

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 02:37 PM

gateway is trying to take advantage of apple's concept of the imac. but the imac is entrenched in pop culture dispite what the market share is.

The ad may help gateway, but it just ads to the "visibility" of the imac brand as well. If a "war" develops...what's going to happen is more people will become exposed to macs and OSX. i think a screenshot of jaguar in a article depicting the "war" may be enough to get a potential switcher inside a apple retail store for more info. people like the underdog mentality...once a big dog like Gateway starts picking on the pretty lil imac, people are going to find out imac ain't so little.

the imac has gotten great press and for gateway (who is not as acclaimed) to jump on a more established brand is like Jordache jeans comparing itself to Versace.

Codename
Banned
Aug 26, 2002, 02:57 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:

So why it is that most PC makers run to copy Apple? Hmmm
Just because you find something from the PC world is meant to be aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it was copied from Apple. The arrogance of a Maclot.

As I see it, all Apple does it put dated and common PC technology into aesthtically pleasing cases and then charges a massive mark-up.

I think it is actually Apple that is running to copy from the PC world, incorporating those technologies into Macs. I am speaking in terms of hardware. Apple as a hardware company as I see it is as good as dead.

Many think the first LCD AIO was the 20th Anniversary Mac from 1997. It wasn't; it was the Monorail from early 1996 which, coincidentally, looks very similar to the 20th anniversary Mac Apple introduced a year later.
Gateway brought the first fully featured LCD AIO to mass market last year.

Mongrel
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 02:58 PM

So can somebody post a link to the ad?

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 26, 2002, 03:01 PM

Just because you find something from the PC world is meant to be aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it was copied from Apple. The Arrogance of a Maclot.
No, that isn't what I am doing. When the x86 world comes out with something similiar to Apple after the fact, I say it was copied. The ignorance of a MS zealot.

As I see it, all Apple does it put dated and common PC technology into aesthtically pleasing cases and then charges a massive mark-up.
And of course that is how you see it. Because you are a ignorant MS zealot. No surprise here.

I think it is actually Apple that is running to copy from the PC world, incorporating those technologies into Macs. I am speaking in terms of hardware. Apple as a hardware company as I see it is as good as dead.
Yeah keep telling yourself that sugar buns

Many think the first LCD AIO was the 20th Anniversary Mac from 1997. It wasn't; it was the Monorail from 1996 which, coincidentally, looks very similar to the 20th anniversary Mac APple introduced a year later.
Fact is troll, if Apple wasn't making wavs, Gateway would have never wasted it's money .

Think about it again, wipe your chine, then reply.

Read ---> Comprehend ---> Reply

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 26, 2002, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:

Yea..
Lemings don't actually inentionally or regularly commit suicide. >:o

Kon-El
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 03:31 PM

Here's a TRUE comparison between the 2 machines and this time using an iMac using Mac OS 10.2 unlike when Gateway paid for research using a mix of 10.1.4 and 10.1.5 on the low-end iMac.

http://www.aapltalk.com/shootouts/imac_vs_gateway.html
In Christ,
Deacon Nikolai
http://nstanosheck.wordpress.com

Fluffy
Aug 26, 2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by rampant:

Lemings don't actually inentionally or regularly commit suicide. >:o
Except in Disney "documentaries", of course.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 03:42 PM

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 26, 2002, 04:05 PM

Many think the first LCD AIO was the 20th Anniversary Mac from 1997. It wasn't; it was the Monorail from early 1996 which, coincidentally, looks very similar to the 20th anniversary Mac Apple introduced a year later.
Actually, I think Gateway's LCD-AIO was even earlier than that!!! Yep, too bad tho b/c it only runs Winblows (The Yugo� of Operating Systems).

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 26, 2002, 04:08 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:

Actually, I think Gateway's LCD-AIO was even earlier than that!!! Yep, too bad tho b/c it only runs Winblows (The Yugo� of Operating Systems).
And too bad Gateway's LCD AIO flopped. Too bad

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 04:18 PM

This is why i'm not in charge of apple.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 04:47 PM

I'm not even going to sink this low

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Camera God
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by chris_h:

That just made my day!

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 06:59 PM

"see FBI warning"
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 26, 2002, 07:41 PM

At least Apple does not feature mooing cows in TV ads and holstein boxes.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 07:50 PM

i just saw the commercial well most of it

not to beat a dead cow, but the thng is ugly

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 08:30 PM

Saw it on CNBC too. Commercial was hilarious quite frankly.

However, I'd have to say that the timing is a bit suspicious. The iMac systems tested were using 10.1.5 where instead they should've tested it with Jaguar when it came out. I say rerun those tests and see how things turn out.

If you read the report, it looks like the Gateway can open PDF files faster then the iMac. Ouch, that really hurts. I mean we have PDF technology embedded in X and the Gateway still kills it?

Something's not right here.
F = ma

schep
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 09:09 PM

<Image removed>

That was great

uochris
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 09:34 PM

It seems to me like Gateway could spend its advertising dollars on something better but it's not my company. It's like they're doing it to hurt Apple and for no other reason. How much business could this possibly drive their way? Given that company expects the ad will be viewed by 83 percent of Americans an average of 14 times in September, how much does it cost to get that kind of reach? This is just unbelieveable to me that a PC manufacturer would do something like this. I must say that after seeing the reaction to Jaguar among my clients and PC using friends the PC manufacturers should be afraid of Apple.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/
Apple doesn't read these message boards. If you have a complaint or suggestion for OS X send feedback where it will do some good.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 10:14 PM

hell I'm still amazed it wasn't Dell who did this, seeing how much he seems to hate apple personally.

Gateway has bigger problems then apple, like staying in business.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 10:57 PM

I think that new Gateway is sexy.

It would have been sexier with some wheels, copper piping and a little woodwork, but...

clod
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 10:57 PM

You sir are a comedy genius.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
I think that new Gateway is sexy.

It would have been sexier with some wheels, copper piping and a little woodwork, but...
AHAHAHAHAH!

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 11:07 PM

So Gateway was the first company to introduce a halfway marketable all-in-one TFT LCD that was actually practical for use? Or how 'bout the first company to introduce an MP3 player that doubles as a hard drive and holds 5-20GB of Music. When Mac introduced the first iMac, PC manufactures scrambled to get anything color out. If Apple was so far behind, I would be sitting behind a beige box that looked like every other computer in the world. I am not saying that Mac is the end-all when it comes to hardware or software. But they are not as behind as some would like us to believe--I don't think they are behind at all. Productivity equals more than just raw computing power. So what if the new gateway works with "thousands" of software titles, if many of them conflict with each other or with hardware. A Mac is the alternitive for people who are sick with problems. I currently use 4 Macs, one is my own. None of them have problems and two of them are over 2 1/2 years old. One PC I use requires a complete system rebuild whenever the ethernet cable is unplugged. The other sleeps at irregular times and puts the monitor to sleep at random times. With that said, I think that Apple make much more solid machines than PC manufactures.
( Last edited by PowerMatt; Aug 26, 2002 at 11:22 PM. )
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

PowerMatt
Senior User
Aug 26, 2002, 11:27 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
hell I'm still amazed it wasn't Dell who did this, seeing how much he seems to hate apple personally.

Gateway has bigger problems then apple, like staying in business.
I don't think Dell would stoop to this. Even though they are a PC manufacturer, they are a classy company. As far as PCs go, Dell seems to have its act together the most. I think this is a last ditch attempt by gateway to save face before going under.
It I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2002, 12:03 AM

Just because you find something from the PC world is meant to be aesthetically pleasing doesn't mean it was copied from Apple. The arrogance of a Maclot.

Word-up

PS, the first Gateway all-in-one LCD ran Midori Linux.

fulmer
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 12:24 AM

apple was the first to mass-market usb, the mouse, firewire, consumer-friendly DVD burning, an ethernet port standard, etc. these all sound like very important hardware innovations and implementations to us.

sometimes apple sucks and screws up, but most of us see that they make quality software and hardware, and provide an elegance and ease-of-use that one can't find on competing platforms.

you're sounding a lot like kellyhogan or TN, codename.

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 27, 2002, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
Saw it on CNBC too. Commercial was hilarious quite frankly.

However, I'd have to say that the timing is a bit suspicious. The iMac systems tested were using 10.1.5 where instead they should've tested it with Jaguar when it came out. I say rerun those tests and see how things turn out.

If you read the report, it looks like the Gateway can open PDF files faster then the iMac. Ouch, that really hurts. I mean we have PDF technology embedded in X and the Gateway still kills it?

Something's not right here.
They was using Acrobat 5. which doesn't use OS X's built in PDF rendering engine.

They wouldn't use Preview, because it would kick the Gateway's rear.

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 12:59 AM

WHERE THE HELL ARE THE VIDEOS OF THIS/??

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2002, 01:42 AM

Originally posted by (s)macintosh:

Sounds good, but Apple would probably hire John Landis and the iMac and iPod would get decapitated during the shoot.
Nah, I think they'd hire Ridley Scott. He did wonders with the 1984 ad, and ALIEN f�cking rocked.

Or KISS... can't go wrong with bigass explosions.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Subzero Diesel949
Aug 27, 2002, 02:07 AM

Of course Gateway will support benchmarks that use 10.1.5 and Acrobat because they want to make iMacs look their worst. That's the whole idea of negative advertisement. But Gateway also knows what kind of customers they are dealing with. These ads are designed to hook those kind of customers who don't know any better. Most Gateway owners I know don't know jack $h*t about computers and never thought about system stability or software/hardware harmony; they just accept the BSOD or other problems. We know that the benchmarks are slanted and the claims are hogwash, but Apple needs to remain focused on their switch campaign because that's where it hurts. Moreover, Apple needs to market what their computers can do that the PCs can't.

Maybe this will be a wake up call for Apple marketing to get with the program. SJ is not going to let this go unanswered...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 27, 2002, 02:17 AM

geez

when was 10.2 released?

AFTER GATEWAY TAPED THE COMMERCIAL!!

besides, I thought OSX didn't suck.

Did it just now stop sucking with the release of 10.2 the other day??

chris_h
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 02:29 AM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:

no

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 05:53 AM

How about this:

Start with a close up of the iMac screen displaying all the cool iApps & 10.2. In the background can be heard a creaky, boing sound. Camera pulls back to reveal the Profile4 bouncing around the iMac. The iMac screen (head) turns back and forth following the Profile4. The iMac then stops following it and looks straight at the camera shaking its head.

Fade to the tag line, "Some computer companies are just hopping mad."

---

Ok, so without seeing the original ad this is what I came up with. And yes, the iMac looking at the camera shaking its head is just like the Luxo Jr short (Luxo Snr actually does the looking), as well as all the other Lasseter/Pixar shorts.

(s)macintosh
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2002, 06:13 AM

Word-up

PS, the first Gateway all-in-one LCD ran Midori Linux.
Ah, no wonder it did so well... After all, Linux has been "almost ready for the desktop" nearly as long as "Apple's about to go outta business."

Zimphire
Baninated
Aug 27, 2002, 06:40 AM

geez

when was 10.2 released?

AFTER GATEWAY TAPED THE COMMERCIAL!!

besides, I thought OSX didn't suck.

Did you not read the rest of this thread? The benchmarks were dishonest. ESP the PDF ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules