Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15 Al vs 15 Ti

15 Al vs 15 Ti
arkitus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 08:33 AM

Hi,

I am kinda stuck in a dilemma right now. The TiBook's prices have been reduced, and are very tempting. I dont need bluetooth or airport extreme, but i DO want my laptop to stay good in the looks ( i.e. no paint chipping and the stuff... )

I dont know what to do:

(1) Buy a TiBook right now, and start using it.

(2) Wait for a AlBook ( If i wait, I will recieve it July 15th )

And currently i am working ( infact im designing a website for a mac reseller !! ). So if i buy one, I will actually use it.

What should i do?

Thanks
www.arkitus.com

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:37 AM

WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE KEYNOTE ON MONDAY.

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 08:40 AM

If you need one now, then buy the Ti; the Al will not be as cheap.

mrmister
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 09:16 AM

That is true...still, given that it is Thursday, I'd still wait until after Steve has had his say on Monday.

cambro
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 09:47 AM

Remember, paint chipping is not a systematic problem on the Ti's.

I've had a first gen Ti400 for a long time. My uncle now has it and there is no paint chipping at all. It is used virtually every day. I replaced the Ti400 with a Ghz Ti in November. There is no paint chipping at all.

So, although there certainly seems to be issues with some TiBooks, I would bet that most have no issue with paint.

The Ti is a great machine and the bundles/prices right now are very attractive! Still probably worth waiting until next week though....

arkitus  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 19, 2003, 10:05 AM

Cool, i think i'll wait.

But i cant afford a Gigabook... Ill have to stick with the 876 Combo version. What do you think>

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 10:22 AM

I would say wait until Monday and see what happens. Its only a few says off. Personally I dont think that any new PB's will be available this early, more realistically look to July for MacExpo for an annoucement and August/September for shipping. The later they are announced the more likely they will contain 970s.

Forum Links
Forum Rules