Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The "casual" powerbooker.

The "casual" powerbooker.
an0therdumbsn
Jun 30, 2004, 12:59 AM

I got a powerbook to use while in college for projects/essays and such and to just play around on.
However i was wandering if i am the only computer "laymen" that owns a powerbook judging from this message board everyone here uses their pb's for offical business presentations/advanced achitecture designs and high end graphical stuff.
Is there anyone else out there with a pb that isnt a rich professional business person and just a casual user?
Forgive me if this post seems a little stupid i wasnt sure how to word the question...

rag on a muffin
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 01:05 AM

i am a casual user, i serve a minimal wage job, my first, and use my powerbook only on occasion at my work place, mostly for leisure. the reason i have it is for my hobbies, which are video, and stuff like that.
Superhero Of The Computer Rage
MacBook Pro 2.16 Ghz, PowerBook G4 12" 1 Ghz (DVI) Dell 24" monitor
Porsche 944, Mercedes 240D (running onWaste Vegetable Oil)

urban
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2004, 02:44 AM

I write my lab reports for school, surf the web, and chat on MSN.. that's all I do....
Powerbook 12" 1GHZ, 1.25GB of RAM
My blog

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 03:11 AM

I sit in front of an ugly, beige Dell box at work every day. On my own time, it's a 12" PowerBook. I use it for light web design/maintenance, for writing (long-term book project) and for the simple joy that is surfing wirelessly in my favorite corner at Borders.

Don't apologize for being a "casual user."
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

cszar2001
Photo Architect
Jun 30, 2004, 05:58 AM

I consider myself a casual user - I surf the net, do my research, write articles, watch DVD�s, organize my photos, build my iTunes library, ...- no heavy stuff.

OS X is incredible user friendly - Tiger will be even more so.
The PB was the best choice I ever made.
And I�m far from being rich - I had to save my money for quite some time.
"Microsoft is a cross between the Borg and the Ferengi. Unfortunately, they use Borg to do their marketing and Ferengi to do their programming." Simon Slavin

Me on Flickr.

mrgaskell
Senior User
Jun 30, 2004, 08:17 AM

I am a teacher and use my PB for PowerPoint presentations. Light web design and photoshoping for "fun" and a lot of surfing and chating is what my PB is used for.
BlackBook 2Ghz C2D, 2GB, 120GB HD | Black 80GB iPod 5.5 | 8GB Red iPod Nano |
Check out my personal and classroom sites!

Voch
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2004, 09:07 AM

Serious Java developer by day (on a Windows PC...sorry). Gaming/Internetting Powerbooker by night.

I've brought up NetBeans and a few development tools on my PowerBook to tinker a bit but I find I need to relax more after work and that's what the PowerBook is for.

Voch

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 09:36 AM

Well... I am not a rich professional businessman and yet I will use mine for intense programming sessions. Oh and some UT2004 and some 3D work. It took us 6 years to save up for a new one, but we finally did it!!!

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by DigitalEl:
I sit in front of an ugly, beige Dell box at work every day. On my own time, it's a 12" PowerBook. I use it for light web design/maintenance, for writing (long-term book project) and for the simple joy that is surfing wirelessly in my favorite corner at Borders.

Don't apologize for being a "casual user."
I sit in front of a grey/black dell machine at work. It is what I am typing on right now. I love to go home and use our mac and soon to be new PowerBook!

MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 12:07 PM

Just a guy in college. History major. Nothing to techno-geeky about that. Use my Powerbook for fun, its a hobby.

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 02:13 PM

Well I use my computer for some Photoshop/InDesign work, but mostly as my primary computer for college (I'm a Comm. major). I got the Powerbook because:

1.) I wanted a laptop

2.) I only use Macs and the iBook, although nice, was only a G3 when I bought my Powerbook. I expect to have this computer for a while, so even though I was willing to be flexible with the Mhz, I needed to have a G4.

3.) I prefer the size of the powerbooks, and the features as well (eg. I use bluetooth often as well as the keyboard backlight and PCMCIA card slot with my digital camera ) Do I need these features? Not really, but if I was going to be paying as much for an iBook, I though I might as well get everything I want and get the Powerbook (hey, it was loan money anywho!)

4.) The iBooks screens didn't have the resolutions that I think a modern laptop should. The 14" has the same resolution as my mom's G3 Pismo, and I just can't get a lot of windows/palettes with the resolution. I think even the Powerbooks could be improved in this regard, although are better.

5.) I consider myself a power-casual user in that I haven't done 3D design since high school, don't program, play games only occasionaly, yet sometimes do serious Photoshop work, have 45gb of MP3s, numerous catalogs of images, fonts, documents, etc and need some of the little extras that the powerbooks give such as processing power and hard drive space.

Not a silly question at all! Be proud of your Powerbook!

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 03:46 PM

Originally posted by djohnson:
I sit in front of a grey/black dell machine at work. It is what I am typing on right now. I love to go home and use our mac and soon to be new PowerBook!
hope this is your break.

Cliff_O
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2004, 04:19 PM

Mine's for personal use, and I also have an AMD-based PC desktop for my personal use. I am a software developer creating extract/transform/load programming for internal corporate data warehousing applications. We're a Dell shop, the tools we use are Windows-based, and I need server class hardware to run the applications with anything more than token data volumes.
MBP 15" - 2.33Ghz C2D-3GB RAM-120GB HD
PB 15"-1.25GHz G4-1.5GB RAM-80GB HD-Superdrive

Gig103
Jul 2, 2004, 04:30 PM

Well I just got mine and I'm not sure yet if it will be a casual use or desktop replacement yet. My immediate plans are internet use, steaming to my ordered airport-express, and programming (for which the Unix interface is great).

(on a Windows PC...sorry)
Never apologize for working on a PC, that's just lame. If someone here hates you for it, they have a problem. Even though it is a Mac forum
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by cszar2001:
I consider myself a casual user - I surf the net, do my research, write articles, watch DVD�s, organize my photos, build my iTunes library, ...- no heavy stuff.

OS X is incredible user friendly - Tiger will be even more so.
The PB was the best choice I ever made.
And I�m far from being rich - I had to save my money for quite some time.

ditto on every single point! ... pretty much word for word. cant wait for tiger myself

Nawus
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 06:50 PM

talk about casual pb user, all my brother does is turn it on and look at it then turns it off. He still uses his peecee for email, web surfing and stuff. He haven't even run down his battery yet and his got it for over a month now.

iluvmypowerbook
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2004, 07:36 PM

Upgraded from a G3 iBook to my new Rev C PowerBook. I use it for:-

- websurfing
- iChat
- with my iPod
- email (Mail of course)
- studying web design in college using Macromedia Studio MX 2004
- digital art using Corel Painter 8, Photoshop, Freehand, etc and a Wacom tablet
- manipulating photos from my Fuji Finepix F700. I do it in raw format then save to my HD.
- gaming (only one game though and only really when I got nothing to do)
- MS Office 2004 get's a fair bit of use for web design, client letters, journals, invoicing etc.
- I don't have a superdrive, but I do burn SVCD's with Toast and make iMovies from stills to burn to cd in QT.

Forum Links
Forum Rules