Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Batteries/Applecare??

Batteries/Applecare??
MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 11:49 AM

I have been reading around, and have heard many people with applecare, have been able to get their battery replaced when after a while it stops holding a charge. Was the applecare guy just on crack who told me "battery depletion is NOT covered under warranty"???

MrForgetable
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2004, 12:01 PM

it isn't. because all rechargable batteries (like the ones in Apple Laptops) will all die whether you use them or not. but they won't suddenly die, they'll slowly lose their charge. i suppose if you have a DOA battery that holds 15 minutes a charge with a newly bought Powerbook it would be covered, but I doubt in the long run that they will replace it.
iamwhor3hay

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 01:12 PM

Applecare covers against defects not wear and tear. A battery that slowly loses its ability to hold a charge is wear and tear. With that said Applecare does not cover batteries.

FWIW no computer mfg warranties its batteries.

Mike

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2004, 01:51 PM

Yeah, if your battery completely dies in say 6months after usage they should cover it. However, as stated above batteries usually only have a life of a few years (like 3) and then it's time to get a new battery. Lithium Ion batteries (and most other types of batteries) have similar properties. They always degrade over time no matter the usage. If you really think about it, you probably will only have to buy 1 new battery over the life of your powerbook (atleast before it becomes too obselete (sp?) to use, and that's not too bad...
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

powerduck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2004, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Maflynn:
Applecare covers against defects not wear and tear. A battery that slowly loses its ability to hold a charge is wear and tear. With that said Applecare does not cover batteries.

FWIW no computer mfg warranties its batteries.

Mike
Yes - the sad part is though that Apple care won't give you the specifics of what they consider genuinely poor battery performance vs. normal wear. They won't quote you a minimal capacity acceptable for a new battery, they go by hours of use (which of course varies widely depending on model, settings and use). When I called in about the dismal 2.5 hours I get from my brand new battery, they stated that this is within normal limits for that particular PB configuration and that I should consider the expected 3 to 4 hours just "overzealous marketing". Yes, these are their own words. I guess, everyone just subtract 1 to 2 hours from the advertised figures; that should bring your battery within specifications and you can be happy again.

MarkLT1  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 7, 2004, 02:56 PM

Makes total sense.. I had just read several threads about people getting old batteries replaced via apple-care.. guess I must have just missinterperated them..

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2004, 03:27 PM

I think it may be possible to get a new battery but you need to show that its not normal. i.e., brand new and cannot hold a charge.

Then there's Apple battery recall which may have muddied the water for you also.

mike

kafoochy
Forum Regular
Sep 7, 2004, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by powerduck:
Yes - the sad part is though that Apple care won't give you the specifics of what they consider genuinely poor battery performance vs. normal wear. They won't quote you a minimal capacity acceptable for a new battery, they go by hours of use (which of course varies widely depending on model, settings and use). When I called in about the dismal 2.5 hours I get from my brand new battery, they stated that this is within normal limits for that particular PB configuration and that I should consider the expected 3 to 4 hours just "overzealous marketing". Yes, these are their own words. I guess, everyone just subtract 1 to 2 hours from the advertised figures; that should bring your battery within specifications and you can be happy again.
Well I complained about poor battery life in my Powerbook bought last fall, and they've replaced the battery twice. The last time I complained, they sent me a complimentary battery for my troubles. So now I can watch a full-length DVD albeit with changing the battery in the middle! Make your story sound good enough and reasonable enough and they may just listen. If not, call again and talk to someone else.

LadyBlue
Sep 9, 2004, 12:11 PM

I recently had one of my batteries just die on me. (only had it for around 6 months). Applecare said it was a normal thing and refused to give me a new battery. I went to my nearest applestore and talked to a Genius there. Apparently he took pity on me and gave me a new battery ^_^.

I didn't use it to the point of depletion, infact I barely used it below 20% and most of the time its plugged in. I explained this to him and he agreed that 6 months is too short of a life span.

Guess its always easier to talk to them face to face.
I <3 Macs!

meatyocre
Sep 9, 2004, 02:25 PM

My battery was fine till about 25% remaining, then would suddenly die. It would go to 0% and fall into sleep mode. This battery had 9 months of average use. I called Apple and they wanted me to send my whole PB & Battery in for a checkup. Who can afford to send in their laptop in, and lose 1-2 weeks of use. I backed out of that. I didn't want them poking around my virgin 12" PB.

This was probably due to the PB being plugged in most of the time. In my opinion this will eventually "fry" any battery.

Now I have no Apple Care, so I will deal with it.

wunderkind
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 10, 2004, 10:25 AM

My battery died 5 months after I got iBook 700. Ran some tests suggested by Apple. They shipped me new battery, I returned the dead one to them. Everything within a week.
PB G4 12" 1.5GHz/1.2GB/100GB/SuperDrive/AE/Mac OS X Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules