Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > the mysterious 17" screen grease!

the mysterious 17" screen grease!
xMetal
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 10:40 AM

Ok, this is a little wierd, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Basically, there seems to be some kind of black grease that comes out of the screen on my 17" when I close it. It's apparently seeping out at the top left of the screen, where the aluminum trim and screen meet, and shows up by a small line of grease-like "stuff" on the left side palm rest.

It wipes up easily, but seems to show up on occasions where I close the screen and then move the whole unit. I've had to wipe this little bit of stuff off nearly everyday.

Everything works perfectly though, there's no malfunction anywhere.

Strange, ain't it? Can't say I've seen anything like that in about 13 years of Mac use.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 11:29 AM

Ummm... they are not grease... just scrach marks made from the sharp edges of the screen. A normal problem from all of us. But yea... you can wipe them off pretty easy, but you should still get a screen protector that'll cover the whole base of the keyboard. That's what most of us did, problem solved for us.

Ming

Originally posted by xMetal:
Ok, this is a little wierd, and I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Basically, there seems to be some kind of black grease that comes out of the screen on my 17" when I close it. It's apparently seeping out at the top left of the screen, where the aluminum trim and screen meet, and shows up by a small line of grease-like "stuff" on the left side palm rest.

It wipes up easily, but seems to show up on occasions where I close the screen and then move the whole unit. I've had to wipe this little bit of stuff off nearly everyday.

Everything works perfectly though, there's no malfunction anywhere.

Strange, ain't it? Can't say I've seen anything like that in about 13 years of Mac use.
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

xMetal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 11:38 AM

they aren't scratches.

Scratches do not smear when you wipe them with your finger, and black scratches do not magically appear on your finger or a tissue if you wipe it along the inside edge of the screen bezel.

it's definitely some kind of greasy material. I can take pictures if you want.

urrl5201
Apr 10, 2003, 11:54 AM

The smearing comes from the metal itself when it contacts the lower part of the frame. the marks smear but are dark and graphite powder like. Place a protector, even just a large sheet of white 11x17" paper between the two surfaces after you have cleaned them. If the grease re-occurs it is really grease.

xMetal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 12:22 PM

well like I said, this reoccurs pretty much every time I close the machine. If I close it real gently and don't move it, they don't show up. This only happens on the left side, and if I wipe my finger along that edge and totally clean it off, it will happen again next time I close it and move the unit around (like in my bag). And it really does seem like a greasy substance, not like metal dust or anything, and it completely comes off of the palm rest and leaves no scratches or marks behind.

I'm just curious to know what that is than anything else, it obviously does not affect the usability or anything.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 04:13 PM

Well... in that case, it's only on your PB then. YOU'RE THE LUCKY WINNER! hehehe light it on fire and see if that grease burns!

I'm sure it's the same thing of what we all have. Just do like that other person say, next time, use a paper on the place, and if it's liquid, you will know because it's paper, it'll soak in. But if it's other stuff that are not liquid, like what we're talking about, then nothing will be on the paper.

Ming

badnewsblair
Senior User
Apr 10, 2003, 05:16 PM

I don't get any grease. Just a tip for the normal grease that sometimes shows up on Powerbooks. I is normally the grease from your fingers that get on the keys, that in turn then gets on the screen. It is easily cleanable with numerous products off the shelf and a soft cloth.

This black grease sounds like a real problem.

BTW, I am using the piece of foam that came in my powerbook as my screen protector. At least until I have the money for a real one (f this doesn't prove good enough).
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Melchizedek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 05:30 PM

Could it be possible that your screen is leaking fluid from your LCD panel? I'm not sure what the material inside an LCD looks like, but since the word "Liquid" is in the acronym, I assume there is some kind of liquid inside the screen that makes it function probably. Might ask Apple about it.
Rev. D 1.67Ghz 17" PowerBook
---------------------------------------
4G 60GB iPod Photo
iSight
Airport Express
Final Cut Pro 4
WWDC 2004/2005 Student Attendee
---------------------------------------
Apple user for two.five years.

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 10, 2003, 05:46 PM

Yea... just call Apple Care and ask them about it... if it is really a liquid problem... you should get it taken care of right away.

Ming

Radiosity
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2003, 08:40 PM

Yes, I know what you're talking about. I've noticed that I have black streaks on my fingers after using my 17". I concluded that this has to come from the aluminum or something. It looks exactly like graphite and wipes off just as easily.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2003, 09:11 PM

Originally posted by Melchizedek:
Could it be possible that your screen is leaking fluid from your LCD panel? I'm not sure what the material inside an LCD looks like, but since the word "Liquid" is in the acronym, I assume there is some kind of liquid inside the screen that makes it function probably. Might ask Apple about it.
LCD-based displays don't leak. They are sealed units.

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 10, 2003, 09:21 PM

taking a leap, but... surely there's grease within the hinge assembly. Perhaps during manufacture, before sealing the screen assembly (combining the two halves), the inside of the casing got a squirt of it, and now it's leaking out?

But then again, that type of machine grease wouldn't really... leak... like you describe...

Maybe you ARE the winner...
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

jtbowden
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 01:46 AM

I have to agree with xMetal. If this were just the screen rubbing filings onto the palm rests, it would show up on BOTH sides, but consistently, people are reporting it on the left side. Of course, if the screen is torqued to the left as some people have suggested, this might make my point moot.

However, I think it is grease-like, perhaps some kind of sealant used in the screen or its connectors. the first time I reopened my PB, I got the mark that would rub off, but also spots that looked like the same stuff on my screen rim. Like this:

They won't rub off, which makes me wonder about this mysterious material.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 08:33 AM

I have these same marks on my 17" PowerBook. It is more significant on the left-hand size, but I do have a line on the right as well. I will post pictures when I get home.

I'd like to see what I can do to get rid of them too.

-Finrock

xMetal  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2003, 09:51 AM

see, this IS a mystery!

haven't noticed my grease today, hmm. I think the grease gnomes were taking the day off.

Finrock
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 10:21 AM

This just in: a pencil eraser removes these marks.

-Finrock

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 11, 2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Finrock:
This just in: a pencil eraser removes these marks.

-Finrock
lick your finger/thumb and rub it, and it comes right off.

Since i first found this issue, I've purchased an icover ( http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html ). When used, the aluminum filings are not an issue. It also serves as a good screen wipe when i need it. I looked at Screensavrz ( http://www.radtech.us ) but they don't goto the edge of the laptop so it wasn't an effective choice to me. On top of this, the icover also protects my apple logo from getting overly scratched.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2003, 02:56 PM

Man, good thing I don't have any of these kind of problems with my pb. ^_^

Ming

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
LCD-based displays don't leak. They are sealed units.
Ya think?
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

pamelah
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 12, 2003, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by baglunch:
lick your finger/thumb and rub it, and it comes right off.

Since i first found this issue, I've purchased an icover ( http://www.acmemade.com/powerbook.html ). When used, the aluminum filings are not an issue. It also serves as a good screen wipe when i need it. I looked at Screensavrz ( http://www.radtech.us ) but they don't goto the edge of the laptop so it wasn't an effective choice to me. On top of this, the icover also protects my apple logo from getting overly scratched.
I ordered that cover too! I think it's super slick. How do you like it? does it slide on and off easily? close properly? does it stay put once on?
Architecture:Design | 17" alPB | 23" cinema display etc...

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 03:45 AM

John Travolta lost his job and now works on an assembley line in Taiwan making Powerbooks. That's why the Powerbooks have gotten wider and have grease coming out of them.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by RooneyX:
John Travolta lost his job and now works on an assembley line in Taiwan making Powerbooks. That's why the Powerbooks have gotten wider and have grease coming out of them.

Do you ever say anything constructive or relevant?

RooneyX
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2003, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by seanyepez:
Do you ever say anything constructive or relevant?
Are you the thought police who goes around checking everyone's post to see if they are all relevant to you?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Apr 12, 2003, 11:29 AM

Are you the thought police who goes around checking everyone's post to see if they are all relevant to you?
Bah, he is a complete idiot. Don't listen to him.

After all, he is the one who challenged people in the Mac gaming forum to play Unreal Tournament 2003 for the PC for money, touting he was so good.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2003, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Bah, he is a complete idiot. Don't listen to him.

After all, he is the one who challenged people in the Mac gaming forum to play Unreal Tournament 2003 for the PC for money, touting he was so good.
I got a few takers.

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 12, 2003, 09:28 PM

Some flourscent transformers are packed with grease to keep them cool, but not the powerbook. The 'transformer' (inverter board) is in the main body and is just a circuit board.

I haven't had this problem since I got the 17" nearly three weeks ago, but a few I packed it in it's bag for a cross-country trip (which isn't a heck of a long way), and after being thrown around, compressed, and generally abused (the bag containing the powerbook), I noticed this everytime I opened it. Now that I'm back to normal use, it has not recurred.

LMAO at RooneyX!

erichen
Forum Regular
Apr 13, 2003, 12:39 AM

I had the same problem for two weeks now! I thought it was greese too just like you guys did! But recently I found out that it leaves a permanent mark on where the greese used to be!

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen

rkv
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 08:12 AM

I have a similar problem. For the moment it does seem to come off with some rubbing. However, it does seem like it could build up to be a somewhat permanent mark. The marks on mine go across the entire palm rest area as if the upper screen edge is oozing something when closed.

For those who have experienced this, does it go away after time? Has anyone spoken to Apple about this?

thanks

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2003, 11:21 AM

Shall we officially name this?

How about the "17" grease problem"?

TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 02:58 PM

That is interesting. A while back there was a post about ceiling limits on 17" PB's for operation, storage and shipping and I cant remember reading anything like that on my TiBk. Someone also mentioned that some units can be packed with coolant around them. Wonder if there may be a correlation between this grease and the ceiling limits. Those of you guys experiencing this, did you by any chance have the units FedExed/overnighted to you?

OzAl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 14, 2003, 07:42 PM

Originally posted by erichen:
I had the same problem for two weeks now! I thought it was greese too just like you guys did! But recently I found out that it leaves a permanent mark on where the greese used to be!

~Eric
http://homepage.mac.com/erichen
I get the marks as well, just on the left side. I get a one inch long grease mark about three inches below the speaker grille, level with the edge of the LCD. I also find that it removes easily by rubbing it with a moist finger.

Apart from the sizzling sound when power is connected, I also have another very minor glitch - the aluminum casing has buckled a little on the front of the PB17, about halfway between the left side and the open button. As a result, it pokes out very slightly from the plastic trim. Not enough to be an issue, but once you've noticed...

OzAl

urrl5201
Apr 14, 2003, 08:04 PM

I advise those with 17" to find some protection, marks or not. Enough pressure can cause surfaces to contact and cause marks. I use radtech cusions, which work very well. One on the top corners and one midway down either frame edge; two on each side.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhardy3/PhotoAlbum34.html

tritonus
Senior User
Jun 6, 2003, 04:54 AM

I also have greasy marks. Especially after taking the PB on the road.
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by tritonus:
I also have greasy marks. Especially after taking the PB on the road.
I've had my PB17 for awhile now and use it on the road constantly. I still keep the styrofoam sheet that protected the display during shipping. The sheet never shows the grease marks but...

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry I forget to place the sheet on the keyboard. Later when I open the lid, there will occasionally be a line of grease near the edge of the wrist pad areas. This only occurs when I've carried it awhile in a backpack.

I treat it as harmless, but I do find it curious...

beanman
Forum Regular
Jun 6, 2003, 06:29 PM

I've also had this problem, but it has seemed to have trailed off in terms of its frequency. And my marks show up on the outter edges of the keyboard portion of my PowerBook. Some simple rubbing with my thumb gets rid of the marks, but it does get annoying.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

tritonus
Senior User
Aug 26, 2003, 10:26 AM

This is on the 17" PB product support page at apple.com/support:

PowerBook: Marks at Base of Display Screen
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24961

TITLE
PowerBook: Marks at Base of Display Screen

Modified:
1/30/03

TOPIC

Because of the PowerBook computer's slim profile and lighter weight, there may be small vertical marks on the its display where the edge of the keycaps touch the glass that covers the display.

Products affected

PowerBook G3 Series (Bronze Keyboard)
PowerBook (FireWire)
PowerBook G4 (All models)
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

GENERAL_SMILEY
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2004, 10:08 AM

Sorry to bring this topic back up, but I think it is a pretty good summation of the black grease issue - mine is still "leaking" a year after being bought, I also have another 17 AL in the studio - which also has similar marks.

The marks are now permanent (well they don't come off with pure ethanol) - anybody solve this, it's obviously not critical, just annoying.

To clear up one obvious misunderstanding - these are not marks on the screen, but marks on the aluminum casing around the screen, and around the edges of the keyboard.

(The marks look like they may be graphite based, and not 'grease' as they have a sort of powdery dispersal pattern.)

Hopefully somebody out there has a solution.

TIA
I have Mac

Mike Peel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2004, 03:34 AM

Damn it - I just read through the entire thread thinking it was a recent / new one...

Link to old threads, don't ressurect them.

meatyocre
Oct 10, 2004, 08:15 AM

I too get a little black grease mark on my 12" PB. It occurs on the screen hinge and reappears when opening and closing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules