Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook shell question

iBook shell question
ntsc
Senior User
Feb 15, 2002, 12:35 PM

i have and iBook 600 DVD and i was looking at the bottom the other day and noticed that the piece of plastic which goes around the ports on the left hand side is no longer flush with the side of the iBook towards the front of the iBook. I tried to push it in to make it clip back in but it didn't do anything and i was pushing quite hard so i decided to stop. My question is does anyone know how that piece of plastic attaches to the iBook and whether there is anything i can do to make it go where its supposed to be. I don't think i can be bothered to send it to Apple to be repaired and i even question whether they would take it back, but its kinda like the only imperfection on an otherwise flawless machine so i would love to fix it if i could.

Thanks in advance
"You can't waste a life hating people, because all they do is live their life, laughing, doing more evil."

-ALPHA ROBERTSON,whose daughter was one of four girls killed in the bombing of a Birmingham, Ala., church in 1963.

ibook_steve
Feb 18, 2002, 09:48 PM

How non-flush is it? If it's more than like half a mm, the only way that could happen would be if you opened up the iBook since that "bezel" attaches to the ports with spring metal for shielding. If this is a brand new machine that you did not open, then Apple would probably fix that for you under warranty.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Nawus
Forum Regular
Feb 18, 2002, 11:11 PM

I had one like that before, the sales manager sold me a loaner instead of a new one. It wasn't till I took it back and asked for a refund until they gave me a new one! He also told me that some came like that and it was normal for the side not to be flush at exactly where you've noted.

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:07 AM

mine is like that. its not bad, i dont really mind.

P.D.

x user
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:42 AM

It should be a fairly simple thing to fix. But it would technically void you warrenty to do it. So I'd have to vote to send it in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules