Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Burton's Alice in Wonderland 3D. Don't watch in RealD, prefer IMAX

Burton's Alice in Wonderland 3D. Don't watch in RealD, prefer IMAX
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 01:25 PM

I erroneously chose a RealD theater over an IMAX theater to watch the new AIW, misguided by some reviews which claimed exaggerated stereo effect and graininess in the IMAX screen. However, I felt that the 3D effect was weak in the RealD theater, almost like watching the flat version.

Awaiting for the pile of "duh!" replies.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 01:27 PM

Better yet: don't watch it at all. I found it to be an extremely disappointing movie.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2010, 01:42 PM

Yeah. If you are having a Burton craving, get the Demon Barber movie.
Burton should never have signed up anything with Disney.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Awaiting for the pile of "duh!" replies.
Actually every 3D movie I watched in a Real IMAX movie looked worse on IMAX for sure.
The aspect ratio is also more square.

I also saw alice and it was very disappointing in every way.

The strange thing was the movie had black bars on the RIGHT and LEFT side of the screens. It looked really bad and I was going to complain afterwards but there was too big of a line.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
The strange thing was the movie had black bars on the RIGHT and LEFT side of the screens. It looked really bad and I was going to complain afterwards but there was too big of a line.
What about the top and bottom? What were the aspect ratios of the screen and movie?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2010, 02:16 PM

Alice in Wonderland wasn't funny and the story wasn't very engaging. I don't think Burton had any idea what the tone for the movie should've been. Also, the horrible CG was completely throwing me out of the film.

It could have been decent if it was a dark comedy. The only chuckle I got out of the whole film was the Cheshire Cat kneading his claws on the Hatter's hat.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
Alice in Wonderland wasn't funny and the story wasn't very engaging. I don't think Burton had any idea what the tone for the movie should've been. Also, the horrible CG was completely throwing me out of the film.

It could have been decent if it was a dark comedy. The only chuckle I got out of the whole film was the Cheshire Cat kneading his claws on the Hatter's hat.
This describes my feelings exactly. Especially the cat and the hat part. Especially because the Cheshire Cat looked quite a bit like one of our cats.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
What about the top and bottom? What were the aspect ratios of the screen and movie?
Dude, it was horrible, you would have died. I was in Theatre #1 (the biggest and best at Scotiatheatre) and the movie looked like it was in 2:35 ratio PLUS it has 8 feet of black on the right and left of the screen. It was like when you watch a 4:3 ratio TV show on your widescreen TV and then they crop a fake letterbox into it so your TV looks like it has a HUGE black frame all the way around.

I dont' know if they messed up or if they blame the 3D projector but it was wrong.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2010, 11:53 AM

Ugh.... what an utter waste. nothing was where it should have been. I don't even know where to start complaining. I was expecting Burton's take on the Alice in Wonderland story.... you know dark humor, goth ('baroque') styling, drug references. Instead i got a movie that seemed like Narnia, and made for children.

This movie has definitely taken Burton down a notch in my book. And i loved Nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride(among others). In fact as weird as this might sound..... i think i prefer the PC/Mac videogame "American McGee's Alice"'s take on the story, styling and character design.

The positives to me were Helena Carter's performance and the dog.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Mar 10, 2010 at 10:34 AM. )

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2010, 10:53 PM

^^ You meant The Nightmare Before Christmas, right?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2010, 11:00 PM

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2010, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post
^^ You meant The Nightmare Before Christmas, right?
Doh... mind-fart.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2010, 01:00 PM

I found Charlie to be on the same level.

Forum Links
Forum Rules