Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Y a a-g R w i g

Y a a-g R w i g
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 04:28 PM

Yet another anti-gay Republican who is gay

"Come hither, oh young strappin' lad."

---

Emails shared with The Indianapolis Star suggest that state Rep. Phillip Hinkle -- responding to a local posting on Craigslist -- offered a young man $80 plus tip to spend time with him Saturday night at the JW Marriott hotel.

The emails, sent from Hinkle's publicly listed personal address, ask the young man for "a couple hours of your time tonight" and offer him cash up front, with a tip of up to $50 or $60 "for a really good time."

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 04:38 PM

Or maybe bi.

Or maybe 23.3956% gay.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 05:45 PM

Hmm... It seems he tried to bribe the young lad with an iPad to keep him quiet. Definitely gay.

Well maybe not. He tried to bribe him with a Blackberry too. Perhaps he's a closet Canadian?

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2011, 09:52 PM

wow...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2011, 10:50 PM

Aren't the Republicans the ones who are always blathering on about personal responsibility for one's actions? At the end of the article, Hinkle allegedly states, "You just ruined me."

The moron ruined himself.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2011, 11:05 PM

Hmmm...

Teen behind lawmaker meeting speaks out

"It was not a set-up at all," Gibson said. "It was actually a joke."
He says it was a joke between him and his sister, with no cash for sex. But transcripts of their emails obtained by the Star show Gibson appearing to bargain with Hinkle over money.
"A couple hours of your time tonight," Hinkle wrote, allegedly offering a $60 tip "for a really good time."
Later, Hinkle confirmed the meeting plans.
"Looking forward to get-together. Will call you when leaving dinner and give you room number. You get downtown, I'll get you home. Deal?" the married lawmaker wrote.
"Deal. Don't stand me up," Gibson replied.
"I won't," wrote Hinkle.
What sounds like a cash-for-sex deal wasn't, says Gibson.
"I didn't want anything out of it. When I saw him, he was an older gentleman that was really old and I didn't want anything to do with that," Gibson told Eyewitness News.
But in the hotel, the representative exposed himself, Gibson said. Later, when the 18-year-old turned to leave, "He was like, 'You're not leaving 'til we do what we planned to do'."

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 12:57 AM

It'd be funny if there was a Democrat somewhere who was secretly in a straight relationship.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 13, 2011, 01:11 AM

Democrats: Fighting for the rights of closeted gay Republicans nationwide.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2011, 01:56 AM

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2011, 05:55 PM

Ok, someone explain the thread title to me.

reader50
Administrator
Aug 13, 2011, 06:41 PM

It's an acronym of the link title.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2011, 06:55 PM

Ah.

OreoCookie
Aug 14, 2011, 04:26 AM

Yet another anti-gay Republican which is gay.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 02:49 PM

I think it telling that so many people are focusing on his being a Republican. As if that defines him.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
I think it telling that so many people are focusing on his being a Republican. As if that defines him.
It does when that's part of his job; he's a Republican representative, who supposedly represents Republican people and their viewpoints.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 04:37 PM

Just read the story. Sounds like a setup to me, possibly a load of BS.
Meaning to tell me that a bloke who did it for a joke actually turned up to the hotel? And once there, couldn't leave because a bloke in his 60s was physically restraining him? And a state rep known for being anti-gay is going to do something like this in a public hotel? No. BS.
And where's there's BS, there's usually more BS.
Smells like a smear action to me.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 04:38 PM

I think it telling that so many people are focusing on his being a Republican.
Seeing as that's where a good portion of the irony lies, I'd find it telling if someone tried not to focus on it.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 04:51 PM

Why not focus on his being gay? Perhaps that is where his identity lies.

Seems like this has more to do with him being gay than anything else. Seems like that is the commonality with him and other hypocritical failed politicians lies.

In other words, do you guys consider him open to ridicule because he is a republican, gay, or a hypocrite?

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 05:08 PM

Seems like this has more to do with him being gay than anything else. Seems like that is the commonality with him and other hypocritical failed politicians lies.

In other words, do you guys consider him open to ridicule because he is a republican, gay, or a hypocrite?
All three. Republicans are the so-called small government folks, yet they're the most interested in keeping gays from getting married, which is counter to said principles (it's government intrusion, if one has to spell it out). It's patently obvious that he's a hypocrite, and there's no doubt in my mind that he's a gay one.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 05:18 PM

Shoulda been a poll.

I vote hypocrite.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Shoulda been a poll.

I vote hypocrite.
You have my permission to start a poll thread. But please, make it public.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2011, 06:54 PM

Uh, that's politics. You choose party with the idea that people can quickly assume various things about you based on that identifier.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 08:06 PM

You can't be serious.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Uh, that's politics. You choose party with the idea that people can quickly assume various things about you based on that identifier.
Well, it's shallowness. And a case of some on the Left thinking it's all black & white in the world of politics, which is often what they accuse the Right of, which is hypocrisy in itself.

If the story is true, I really feel for the man's wife and family. Yet another gay person destroying the lives of people who trusted him.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
You can't be serious.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 09:08 PM

If the story is true, I really feel for the man's wife and family. Yet another gay person destroying the lives of people who trusted him.
A perfect 10/10 troll score.

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 09:10 PM

You don't feel for the man's wife and family if the story is true?

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Aug 14, 2011, 09:32 PM

A perfect 10/10 troll score.
How's that trolling? Looks like conversation to me.
Is this a new tactic from the left? Call anything you don't agree with "trolling" so you don't have to bother getting into a conversation and being proven wrong?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Aug 14, 2011, 09:49 PM

Well, it's shallowness.
I believe I already said it's politics. No need to repeat me.

A timely reminder of how difficult it is to get honest discourse in the PL.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 11:55 PM

Ha ha, Railroader got banned.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 11:57 PM

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 12:03 AM

But I actually laughed out loud! However, I've realized now it has nothing to do with this thread.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 07:39 AM

Hilarious comment. (Coming from someone who who's went through two married-gay-man-with-kids-finally-comes-out-at-50 episodes; no relation, but friends nonetheless.)

Ignoring the fact that this phenomenon is of course hardly confined to "gay persons", the fact that you've blamed it on the "gay person" is, of course, actually not shocking at all. Never mind that a "gay person" growing up 40-odd years ago wasn't allowed to be gay, in many areas, because of the stringent and physical application of The Rules that you adhere to, in so few closeted words. Never mind that they couldn't openly live with their "preferred partner" unless they wanted to face daily ridicule - and, if you had your way, they still couldn't get married, at the church or town hall or otherwise.

So when a "gay person" marries the perfect wife and makes the perfect kids because to do anything else would probably have meant ridicule, excommunication from family and friends, and a life spent struggling in some way or another against the vast majority of people you meet...well hello, guess who gets the blame when he strays off The Path, openly or otherwise?

Sigh.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Ignoring the fact that this phenomenon is of course hardly confined to "gay persons", the fact that you've blamed it on the "gay person" is, of course, actually not shocking at all.
He doth protest too much, methinks.

BTW, as I was hinting above in my second post, I find it odd that some feel that people must be either 100% gay or 100% straight, so that a man that marries a woman and has kids but then comes out of the closet was 100% gay in the first place but just married that woman to conform to society. I'm not specifically referring to you ShortcutToMoncton, but your post did get me thinking about it again.

I just wonder why some people (gay or straight) just cannot fathom the fact that maybe a man who left his wife for a man, is an adulterous guy who just happens to go both ways. Or maybe his wife was a psycho and he wanted out of the marriage anyway, and happened to find a caring and understanding man as the new life partner. Furthermore, there are lots of people who leave gay/lesbian relationships and then go into hetero ones and live happily ever after with the picket fence and several kids.

I do admit though that my first post as worded does perpetuate that 100% myth though.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 15, 2011 at 09:37 AM. )

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2011, 11:08 AM

Zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 11:25 AM

a case of some on the Left thinking it's all black & white in the world of politics, which is often what they accuse the Right of, which is hypocrisy in itself.
Yawn.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
I just wonder why some people (gay or straight) just cannot fathom the fact that maybe a man who left his wife for a man, is an adulterous guy who just happens to go both ways. Or maybe his wife was a psycho and he wanted out of the marriage anyway, and happened to find a caring and understanding man as the new life partner. Furthermore, there are lots of people who leave gay/lesbian relationships and then go into hetero ones and live happily ever after with the picket fence and several kids.
As I understand it there is a certain stigma among the gay community when it comes to being bi. I have heard it said that there is no such thing as bi, just people who aren't entirely comfortable being 100% gay.

I could be entirely wrong though. I don't exactly have my finger on the pulse when it comes to this sort of thing.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
As I understand it there is a certain stigma among the gay community when it comes to being bi. I have heard it said that there is no such thing as bi, just people who aren't entirely comfortable being 100% gay.
Yes, from what I understand too there is such a stigma, but it's also quite closeminded and obnoxious IMHO. Furthermore, the scientific community has moved beyond this sort of limited thinking a long time ago. The prevailing theory is that we are all on a gradient. And it's not as if the scientific community has always been the pioneers in inclusiveness in this regard either. I guess one problem is that the popular media in its own ever misguided way reinforces these oversimplified stereotypes in its desire to appear progressive.

It's ironic that in 2011, someone who is bi (which this Republican may very well be), might feel ashamed for admitting that in gay company.
( Last edited by Eug; Aug 15, 2011 at 12:01 PM. )

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 06:54 PM

Anti-gay GOP official resigns after posting bare-assed pix on gay hook-up site

AFP: Puerto Rico senator quits after gay photo scandal

In recent days local media had reported that Arango had published several nude photos on Grindr, a gay and bisexual hook-up application for mobile phones.

Arango initially dismissed the allegations as "nonsense," but later told WAPA television: "I don't remember taking these photos, but that does not mean I did not take them."

He added that he had taken several pictures of himself recently to see the effects of a diet.

Arango was known for his strong backing of "Resolution 99," which seeks to define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2011, 07:02 PM

He added that he had taken several pictures of himself recently to see the effects of a diet.
I think this was an episode of Three's Company.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Aug 30, 2011, 07:32 PM

Did he get banned for the statement in this thread?
ebuddy

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Did he get banned for the statement in this thread?
No.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 11:01 PM

I didn't realize one of the photos is actually of his anus.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 11:04 PM

Indeed. I've only seen one pic… heavily edited of course to hide the unmentionables. He's kneeling with his assets "facing" the mirror while he's snapping a photo… to assess the results of his diet, as it were.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 11:16 PM

It's an interesting tactic.

Before I saw the picture, I assumed the basis of this is where the photos ended up, and not that they were some form of truly pornographic content. My thought process being the photos had to be at least nominally consistent with the cover-up. In that sense you could consider the tactic successful. One would also presume that was what he was aiming for.

Of course, once you see the picture, the tactic sorta explodes all over his face. If I wasn't in the mood to try and get inside his diabolical thought process, I'd just write the guy off as hopelessly dim.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 2, 2011, 11:27 PM

There's a pretty simple "best practice" for these situations which politicians never seem to get.

When you hugely screw up and are discovered, make the next thing you do, whatever that may be, the right thing to do. If you do that, there's light at the end if the tunnel.

With this guy, we have pictures of what his tunnel looks like... HELLO!

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
It does when that's part of his job; he's a Republican representative, who supposedly represents Republican people and their viewpoints.
Not all Repubs have those views, and not all Dems are tolerant of gays... so, there's really nothing to this, is there?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 3, 2011, 12:39 AM

But I actually laughed out loud! However, I've realized now it has nothing to do with this thread.
You're celebrating RR getting banned? As a person, do you really suck that much?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Not all Repubs have those views, and not all Dems are tolerant of gays... so, there's really nothing to this, is there?
You're right, in that not all persons of either persuasions have those views, but it is the Republicans, particularly those on the far right with extreme religious views, who have been most vocal about being anti-gay, while at the same time being exposed for the hypocrites that they are, by being caught with their pants down, who have been newsworthy in the last few years. So there is something to this.

The hypocrisy is further compounded by the Republicans constantly blathering on about being the champions of getting government out of peoples' lives, yet they're also the ones who want to enact further legislation to insure that gay people can't marry. Sadly, few people are intelligent enough to catch the dichotomy.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 3, 2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
You're right, in that not all persons of either persuasions have those views, but it is the Republicans, particularly those on the far right with extreme religious views, who have been most vocal about being anti-gay, while at the same time being exposed for the hypocrites that they are, by being caught with their pants down, who have been newsworthy in the last few years. So there is something to this.

The hypocrisy is further compounded by the Republicans constantly blathering on about being the champions of getting government out of peoples' lives, yet they're also the ones who want to enact further legislation to insure that gay people can't marry. Sadly, few people are intelligent enough to catch the dichotomy.
What if the gay Republicans understand better than straight liberals that their homosexuality is the product of a mental phenomena developed through psycho-social/environmental factors they don't feel constitute a specified, protected class of people any more than alcoholism? Maybe you can tolerate people without always having to grant them some meaningless status to appease phobias of other kinds.

Maybe there are straight Republicans who are able to view this issue without the zealotry of atheism and partisan shilling. Or maybe none of this is as black or white as you think.
ebuddy

Forum Links
Forum Rules