Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Video Camera recommendations please.

Video Camera recommendations please.
Railroader
Banned
Jun 9, 2007, 07:24 PM

I am very ignorant about video cameras.

I want, nay make that NEED, a camera that will work well with iMovie, and is preferably hard drive based. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of tapes and I do NOT want to work with a mini-DVD-R based camera. I know nothing about solid state memory based video cameras.

The key component is working with iMovie. Also, modestly priced, around US$500, is another top priority.

Any recommendations MacNNers? Thanks in advance.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jun 9, 2007, 07:52 PM

Well, looks like I got my first moved thread.

And it looks like the death knell for it as well, because the most replies to a thread in this forum on the first page, is 12.

Oh well. I had hoped to get some worth while discussion and recommendation about video cameras going. I guess I'll go to another board.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 9, 2007, 09:48 PM

I asked the same question in this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/57/consumer-...idv-camcorder/

I only I got one reply, but I decided for myself that the Sony ZR800 was a good choice because it has decent quality and a mic-in port, which most consumer camcorders lack. I haven't gotten it yet, and it may not be the best choice today, but it seemed like the best choice at the time I was researching the subject.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jun 9, 2007, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the reply. I see you liked the Canon zr800 as well. I am going to check one of these out soon.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 05:21 AM

A good website for camcorder browsing is camcorderinfo.com.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Jun 10, 2007, 12:56 PM

Thanks.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2007, 11:26 PM

I'd generally suggest buying a 3ccd camcorder.

The problem is: good budget solutions like the Panasonic gs-500 are discontinued.

The gs-500 has larger CCDs, which is good for low light.

The gs-300 has smaller CCDs (1/6 inch) which gives you less low light sensitivity.

The gs-500 can still be bought at a shop in Canada.

Go to the Panasonic forum to get the name of the dealer.

Generally SD is on the way out, and the choices are not what they used to be.

But be careful about buying AVCHD. There is only few software out there to edit it, and it is, I think, PC. (And I don't mean policitical correct)

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jun 13, 2007, 07:42 PM

I own a Sony SR100 (hard disk camcorder) and have no problems with iMovie. Just a little different steps to get it in. Drag the movie file from the hard disk (shows up as an external hard disk when plugged in). Go to Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows and download mpegstreamclip (free) to convert it to DV. You will need an apple plug in (20 bucks). Import to iMovie and your set. When burning your movie, do not compress to fit on a dvd as you will see the quality degraded. As noted earlier, camcorderinfo.com is a great source of information on camcorders.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Forum Links
Forum Rules