Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs

'NN CONTEST: Guess the Tablet Specs
ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 03:06 PM

Let's hear everyone's best guesses on exactly what they think Apple's tablet will be.

Specs, pricing, design, features, etc... Be as specific as possible.

Let's see who gets the closest. The winner will get... NOTHING. Nothing but the smug satisfaction of knowing they are clearly better then everyone else.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:14 PM

Ugh. Mine should be patently generic.

10.7" touchscreen.
Enhanced iPhone OS (probably more similar to the already rumored OS 4 than 3)
Brushed aluminum back like the new MacBooks
Possibly some kind of new enhanced Front Row like app for viewing your media and purchasing/streaming new/external content
Kindle-like abilities with new features for magazine and newspaper subscriptions
Something artistic app (duh) regarding painting/drawing via touchscreen
No webcam
No stylus
4-5 hours of battery life.
$999

There, I think I've successfully pulled everything out of my ass and added a mild optimistic bent.

Edit: Couple of aspects that didn't occur to me.

Storage: 64 GB SSD
Wireless N / I'm really hesitant to predict a Verizon / 3G pairing here. It just seems too far-fetched at the moment. Maybe after the summer
Ports: Tough call. I'm hesitant to think this will dock like an iPod. I'll call wireless sync and one USB port (yes only one, to keep battery drain down).
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Jan 21, 2010 at 04:50 PM. )

BlueSky
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post

There, I think I've successfully pulled everything out of my ass and added a mild optimistic bent.
That's how Picasso got started.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 03:18 PM

My guess...

More of a big iPod Touch then a small Macbook. 10 inch OLED screen. Almost no bezel. Black. Will feature a media store similar to the app store, where you can subscribe to newspapers and magazines on the go, downloaded from AT&T in a similar way to how the Kindle works. Media will feature a unique interface system that is more interactive. Click here to open a graph, click here to see video... etc... similar to a webpage, but less HTMLey and more seamless.

Wirelessly stream video from a computer or Apple TV. Can run any iPhone app. New apps can take advantage of the bigger screen. New focus on portable games.

64 or 128 gigs of built in memory. No camera. 7 hours of battery life. Can be paired with an AT&T contract to get 3G on the go. Can be paired with a bluetooth keyboard that will be sold separately. No USB ports. Only connectivity is through a standard iPod dock connector. Will have a built-in pull out stand so you can set it on a desk and watch movies.

$700 for 64, $900 for 128

I think this is a pretty "safe" guess.
( Last edited by ort888; Jan 21, 2010 at 03:34 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 03:22 PM

I forgot about internal memory or connectivity. I'll ponder this and possibly edit it into my post.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 03:37 PM

I predict:

9-10" widescreen touchscreen
iPhone OS 4.0
Solid plastic
No SD slot, no USB
Camera/WebCam (take that Dakar!)
have a claimed 10 hour battery life (but only last 2 or 3 with heavy use)
and it will have one major flaw/oversight that will piss a lot of people off

edit: the price? if you have to ask: $899
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 03:39 PM

My only prediction is that someone will complain about the screen.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 03:43 PM

The OP should've given a list of parameters for everyone to guess at. THIS CONTEST HAS NO RULES!!!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 03:44 PM

We don't need no stinkin' rules.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2010, 03:49 PM

Specs? Meh.

The most significant part of the announcement is the media and connectivity companies they'll have on board.

ort888  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 04:01 PM

Rules are for commies.

freudling
Banned
Jan 21, 2010, 04:04 PM

Rule: NO EDITING POSTS AFTER THE FACT. This will mitigate posters from taking information from more recent entries.

My entry:

-$999
-10.7", 1280x800 screen (capacitive LED) - glass (oleophobic)
-Custom 800 MHz Quad Core ARM Cortex A9 OR custom ARM Cortex-A9 variant @ 1.6 GHZ Dual Core, both these latter with HD playback; Power VR IP graphics. These chips designed in-house at Apple, licensed by ARM, using PA Semi talent.
-2 GB RAM
-64/128 GB SSD
-White, polycarbonate unibody case with touch sensors on the back (dual touch system)
-Custom Multi-Touch OS X, with lots of new gestures to navigate the system and use the apps a la Fingerworks (not strictly an iPhone OS - it will have a file system, etc.)
-Under 3 lbs.
-6 hour built-in Lithium Polymer battery
-Custom Multi-Touch Apps (iTunes, Mail, etc.), and apps available on something like the iPhone APP Store, downloadable over wifi or 3G.
-Backend subscription services (i.e. Multi-Touch optimized pubs like Time Magazine, and books by HarperCollins and the like), all available via iTunes for purchase. Downloadable via wifi or 3G.
-Virtual keyboard that moves with your hands, and localizes itself based on the positioning of your hands. It includes haptic feedback. A docking station will be available.
-IO: Bluetooth, Wireless N, Mini Display Port, 1 USB port, and, audio line in/out
-3G modem
-Custom wireless video beam solution, so the Tablet can display video on other computers or projectors on the same network.
-Will sync with iTunes, and Apple will introduce wireless sync. Music, contacts, etc.
-45 watt magsafe AC Adapter
-iSight camera
-Comes with slip case

This will not be a giant iPod Touch - those are only prototypes that people have seen, if in fact they are being truthful regarding seeing an actual Apple product. It will have its own unique design, and likely sport a built in handle on the back for propping it up on a flat surface.

Here is what I think the design will be. We will get a design very similar to the back of the iPhone: it rounds from the corners, up. That is, it gets thicker from the edges toward the centre-back. Apple could infuse a frame of magic mouse skin where the fingers will be on the back of the device (all four sides will be framed with a magic mouse-skin). Just after this frame, will be the thickest point of the back. In this way, the magic mouse skin never rests on the surface when placed down on flat surfaces, because it is just slightly lower than the rest of the back. At the centre of the back, there will be rubber. This will mitigate sliding off of flat surfaces.

But in no way do I think this will be a giant iPod Touch. It's going to look different.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 04:30 PM

I don't know, I just bought one from a leaked shipment from a guy in Nigeria from ebay. Has 0 feedback and demanded I cash HIS check and mail him the balance to pay for it, but the guy seems legit. I'll let you know Monday after he overnights it to me.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 05:02 PM

as with every one of these events; no matter what, there will be something that the "general populous" will bitch about not being correct/stupid idea/wrong move/waste/whatever.

so, i will pick that. a spec nobody likes/was bad

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 21, 2010, 06:20 PM

It will utilize the 3ghz G5 chip we were promised years ago. It will run MacOS 8.6 and have a built-in 48.8k modem.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 06:26 PM

It'll be a giant iPod touch with the ability to multitask, that's about it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 06:36 PM

This time, it will cure cancer. This time.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 21, 2010, 06:40 PM

If it is awesome and ground breaking, they will put a mother****ing non-standard audio jack on it. For no reason whatsoever. Because they are morons.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 09:47 PM

My thoughts:
2ghz or less
2gb of ram or less
10" touch screen
iphone OS 4
audio port, dock connector
aluminum shell
no webcam
wifi and bluetooth, but no 3g
80/160gb hard drives, not SSD drives
6 hour battery
$600

I also think it will include other iphone/ipod touch features like the light sensor and auto rotation.

Basically, very modest expectations.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
If it is awesome and ground breaking, they will put a mother****ing non-standard audio jack on it. For no reason whatsoever. Because they are morons.
Just like Apple did exactly WHEN ?

-t

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Just like Apple did exactly WHEN ?

-t
Recessed audio port in original iPhone. 3rd parties had to make adapters or new headphones for them to be able to plug into it. It was one of the most idiotic things Apple has ever done IMO. They even made a point to emphasize that the audio port was NOT recessed when they were talking about specs of 3G iPhone in Keynote because they knew how stupid it was.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 10:16 PM

I think it’ll be a lot like a giant iPod touch and certainly look a lot like one. The reason you’ll be able to do more with The Tablet will mostly have to do with the fact that it’s bigger, and it’s a lot easier to be productive on a 10" screen than a 3.5" one.

Sealobo
Jan 21, 2010, 10:52 PM

it will have LED backlight.

it will suck as an eBook because of it.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 21, 2010, 11:15 PM

Anyway, here are my guesses:
  • display: LCD. Not OLED (and who cares?), not PixelQi (which is maybe a little regrettable)
  • size: whatever the majority opinion’s been in the rumors: 10.1"? 10.7"?
  • Case: touch-sensitive all over. I don’t know if you can do capacitive touch in a metal case, but I can’t think of anything that has it. So I’ll say glossy black.
  • I/O:
    • one headphone jack (with support for iPhone microphone & buttons, obviously)
    • one dock connector, maybe a built-in mic
    • no USB
    • no dedicated video out
    • no Light Peak (maybe in a future revision, after it hits Macs)
  • Processor: I haven’t been following this stuff closely enough to know whether Apple’s ready to use one designed in-house. I’m pretty convinced it’ll be multi-core and ARM-based.
  • Connectivity: 802.11n Wi-Fi. Some kind of 3G option?
  • Bluetooth for headphones and connecting with other tablets/iPhones. No system-wide BT keyboard support, at least not at launch.
  • No camera.
  • 2 lb or less.
  • I’ll go with 10-hour battery
  • Storage: Flash. Very slim chance of SSD. No chance of spinning hard disk. 64 or 128 GB.
  • Power button: on the front, just like an iPhone
    • I think it will be possible to write binaries that run on an iPhone but have additional functionality/interface elements for the bigger screen.
    • It’ll run existing iPhone apps in a quarter-screen window, with the option to zoom to full-screen.
    • It’ll multi-task, but apps will either take up the whole screen or 1/4, without the ability for arbitrary window locations or positions
  • Text entry: hold with the heels of your hands, type on the back with 4 fingers/hand, thumbs on the front. Option to turn it off and use what’s essentially a giant iPhone keyboard, but they’ll encourage you to try the back-typing method.
  • Additional media store for what used to be considered “print”. This is definitely going to happen, but given the precedent for other reader apps on the iPhone/iPod touch, I don’t think they’ll lock out competing eBook apps. The store’s format will be HTML-based with proprietary Apple DRM wrapper. The reader application will also handle PDFs. On the Mac/PC side, this stuff will probably still be sync’ed with iTunes, making the name even more ridiculous. Big question: how easy will it be for indie writers/editors/publishers to get their media onto the store? More like the App Store, or like music, or like audiobooks (which I think essentially Audible-only).
  • Sync: Will sync everything an iPhone does via USB. But there will be an extensible sync architecture, a la Palm conduits, that will allow developers to share data between Tablet apps and Mac apps. MobileMe users will have the same sync functionality as on iPod touch/iPhone. The extensible bit seems less likely here, since it’s hard to predict whether 3rd-party apps will need to sync massive amounts of data.
  • No way in hell is this thing going to natively run Mac OS X or Mac applications. If anyone thinks Apple is going to release a MacBook minus keyboard and plus touchscreen, I’ll wager a Tablet is you’re wrong (winner not responsible for loser’s data contract in the event the device has mandatory 3G).
  • Name: I want it to be called Magic Slate. But Arnold Kim is a pretty smart and thoughtful guy, and veteran Apple watcher. So while I don’t like it, I’ll say iPad.
  • Price: I want it to be less, but I’m guessing $800 and $1000. No price drop until the 2nd generation

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 12:26 AM

Oh lordy, I done scared everyone off this thread, didn’t I?

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 12:37 AM

/topic a bit

When will iTunes be rebranded to reflect its change from just peddling music to peddling everything else?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Oh lordy, I done scared everyone off this thread, didn’t I?
We seem to agree about the lack of USB ports and lack of video out, but I still don't think we will have SSD drives. Apple finally gets that price matters and this product won't sell as well at $1000 as it will at $700.

I'm keeping my expectations low so I'm not disappointed next week.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 01:41 AM

Yeah, I agree with you on the SSD, but I still think the storage will be flash. I just don’t think they’d gain anything by having it go through a SATA interface. I’m under the impression that plain old flash (like what’s in the non-classic iPods) is far cheaper than SSD (like you can get in a MBA/MBP).

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2010, 03:42 AM

10-inch iPod touch, Verizon data service, 64GB, mobile iLife, revolutionary new creativity app, pitted against eBooks and netbooks, 1 year of mobile me free, syncs content while you think it is sleeping, $500.

freudling
Banned
Jan 22, 2010, 04:50 AM

64 GB I don't think is conceptually enough for consumers, but I put it in my specs anyway, although I think it will be 128 SSD. Why? Well, for starters I own a 128 GB SSD MB Air. They already have gotten the cost way down on those. If they push millions of tablets, they can cut a deal with manufacturers because of economies of scale. We will see I guess.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2010, 04:50 AM

10" LCD, not OLED, PA Semi low power dual core ARM, 64 or 128GB flash memory, Wifi, 3G. Unibody casing, styled like half an MBP with glass to the edges. No ports except for a 3.5mm jack, and a dock port similar to an iPhone to handle power, video out and USB. iPhone OS based, not desktop OS X, much usage of Coverflow and Stack like popup icon grids in the UI. Priced between an iPod touch 64GB and a white Macbook 2.26GHz, lets say £600/$800.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2010, 05:49 AM

Name: iPad™
Price: USD999 for 64GB model & USD1299 for 128GB model.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2010, 01:04 AM

I’ll be really surprised if the high end exceeds $999 up front.

Though I guess we’re all expecting to be surprisedby something…

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2010, 04:09 AM

2.6ghz, up to 6 gig memory, base model with 64gig ssd 128 on higher end.

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2010, 02:07 PM

Well, I'll tell you some specs I hope it DOESN'T have. I love apple products (including my Mac Pro and iPhone), but I fear that given their track record, one or more of these three "bad ideas" will in fact be true, which would basically ruin it for me personally (and I'd hope they would ruin it commercially as well):

* Bad idea #1: A price tag near or greater than $1000. Might as well spend it on a MacBook, unless you just HAVE to have an iPad (that's what I'm calling it for now) for some feature/wow factor it has. I really hope it's not just an over-priced "wow" toy. I HOPE it's a reasonably priced alternative to, for example, a NetBook in the Windows world--probably wishful thinking!

* Bad idea #2: A new type of OS to develop for. How can it run an enhanced version of the iPhone OS? iPhone development is pretty tied to screen size limitations! Will developers have to create a separate version of their code to run on the iPad? If the OS presents a new type of platform that requires a high level of specialty development, that would be a bad sign. I'm hoping it runs some level of Mac OS, but again, I'm guessing that's wishful thinking.

* Bad idea #3: Tying it to a cell phone service. It's possible Apple could hold down the price for a device like this if it's tied to a 2 year cell service contract, but at least in my case, that would suck. I already have an iPhone and pay $30 a month for it. Paying a cell company even more money every month so you can use an iPad would be a deal killer, and I suspect this is true for others as well.

I know I sound skeptical, and I guess I am a bit, but I think what Apple REALLY needs is a low-cost Mac OS compliant portable computing device that can compete with $500 laptops in the Windows world. Given their track record, I seriously doubt we'll see that in the iPad--Apple doesn't seem to target that group of buyers, no matter how large that group gets. Unfortunately, an over-priced "wow" toy sounds more like Apple's style, which would make the iPad a non-product for me and many others.

Oh well, here's hoping for a wonderful surprise...

-Jay

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2010, 05:26 PM

1) It will look like an oversize 1st Gen. iPhone with a 10.7" screen. There will be no "all over" touch interface - only the screen

2) It will have all of the connectors of an iPhone/iTouch (audio out, "Home" button, iPhone/iPod dock connector, volume control, and button to turn off)

3) It will have an iSight camera on the front and will include, in addition to the usual iPhone Apps provided by Apple, Video iChat app

4) It will run a custom in-house ARM-based processor

5) OS will be a beefed-up iPhone OS, likely iPhone/iTouch 4.0, the primary feature of which is allowing apps to run at different screen sizes.

6) In addition to running apps optimized for iPhone OS 4.0 (i.e., capable of running on different screen sizes), Apple will also include the iWorks suite, iPhoto, and iTunes - all built with touch support to run on this OS

7) Deals will be announced for media content, including eBooks, magazines, and newspapers. These can all be purchased through the iTunes store, including subscriptions to magazines and newspapers which will be automagically delivered daily or weekly depending on subscription

8) 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth built-in. OPTIONAL 3G subscription through Verizon OR AT&T. If you currently have an iPhone on AT&T, adding iPad subscription will add $10/month to your bill, which will include use all AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots. If you currently have a data service plan on Verizon, adding 3G service for iPad will also be $10/month and will also include use of all Verizon WiFi hotspots. If you don't want 3G service, you don't have to get it.

9) 64 GB version - $699, 128GB version - $899

IMO, $699-$899 is the sweet spot for this device. Less than that and there is not much reason to not simply get an iTouch. More than that and you might as well get a MacBook.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hinson View Post
* Bad idea #2: A new type of OS to develop for. How can it run an enhanced version of the iPhone OS? iPhone development is pretty tied to screen size limitations! Will developers have to create a separate version of their code to run on the iPad? If the OS presents a new type of platform that requires a high level of specialty development, that would be a bad sign. I'm hoping it runs some level of Mac OS, but again, I'm guessing that's wishful thinking.
I’m still trying to figure out where to find someone who’ll take my bet of one whatever-it-is that it will absolutely not run a variant of the Mac OS. But it looks like you’re not my taker.

I know I sound skeptical, and I guess I am a bit, but I think what Apple REALLY needs is a low-cost Mac OS compliant portable computing device that can compete with $500 laptops in the Windows world. Given their track record…
Their track record is one of making money hand over fist without competing at the low low end. They need to compete with $500 Windows laptops like I need a hole in the head. I mean, I’d love it if I could get cheaper Macs. Even more so, I’d love it if people who need a computer and have really limited budgets didn’t have to write Apple off. But Apple has demonstrated that it doesn’t need to worry about catching up to Microsoft’s market share as long as there are enough people buying in the high-margin product segments they sell.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 23, 2010, 07:05 PM

This:

Unlike the iPhone this will have a full OSX build and a slot-loading superdrive, but will also have the accelerometer and GPS chip. It will use an Intel Atom Processor. Because this is loosely based on rumors from 2008, I have both no idea what I'm talking about and no shame in talking about it.

It will be offered in 8" or 10" screen size options and contingent upon solid-state HD storage specs will start @ $900 up to $1299.
ebuddy

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
8) 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth built-in. OPTIONAL 3G subscription through Verizon OR AT&T. If you currently have an iPhone on AT&T, adding iPad subscription will add $10/month to your bill, which will include use all AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots. If you currently have a data service plan on Verizon, adding 3G service for iPad will also be $10/month and will also include use of all Verizon WiFi hotspots. If you don't want 3G service, you don't have to get it.
That would be awesomeness.

-t

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2010, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
8) 802.11n wireless and Bluetooth built-in. OPTIONAL 3G subscription through Verizon OR AT&T. If you currently have an iPhone on AT&T, adding iPad subscription will add $10/month to your bill, which will include use all AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots. If you currently have a data service plan on Verizon, adding 3G service for iPad will also be $10/month and will also include use of all Verizon WiFi hotspots. If you don't want 3G service, you will need to pay $350 more to get the tablet.
Fixed it

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2010, 12:01 PM

I want an oversized iTouch that alleviates some of the compromises of the iTouch, but I think Apple is going to try to make it more.

My guess on pricing is $foo or $foo+800 with 2 years of data service rather than another monthly bill.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 12:28 PM

Their track record is one of making money hand over fist without competing at the low low end.
iPod shuffle

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
iPod shuffle
Agh, nitpicker! They certainly don’t compete at the low end when it comes to personal computers. (I suppose you could argue that they do, a little bit, with smartphones by keeping the iPhone 3G around, including $50 refurbs.)

Anyway, it was relatively easy to expand down into the low end for the music player market. All that product needs to do is decrypt FairPlay and play a couple audio codecs.

But I was responding to the contention that they REALLY NEED to compete with netbooks & $500 laptops by offering the full Mac OS X at comparable price points.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2010, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
iPod shuffle
The iPod shuffle though is pretty expensive in its class...

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2010, 04:47 PM

first Apple device since the iMac to not have the "i" moniker

always on internet connection a la Kindle, but no conventional 3G connection like the phone. The slate could be absolutely massive in the mobile market. People see the Kindle etc as leisure devises and the slate will be this too, but imagine all those sales reps running around linked back to base with their slates, doing sales, inventory, ordering, paperwork etc on their devices, all those shop assistants using them as POS devices, all those doctors looking up patient notes across the hospital network, taking blood pressures, show xray results and much more. Sales people doing presentations, sharing data in meetings, researchers collaborating, design agencies showing off, etc etc. Plus the internet, plus e-books, plus pay for content news etc. The Kindle and other e-readers are solutions to one problem, The slate will enable EVERYTHING. If Apple get it right it will be beyond huge.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
first Apple device since the iMac to not have the "i" moniker
Huh ?

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Mac Pro
Mac mini
AppleTV
Airport Extreme
Airport Express

-t

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Huh ?

MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacBook Air
Mac Pro
Mac mini
AppleTV
Airport Extreme
Airport Express

-t
you know what I mean, even if I obviously can't type it out right.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 24, 2010, 05:40 PM

Virtual machine running Android.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2010, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
you know what I mean, even if I obviously can't type it out right.
Actually, I don't know what you meant.

Can you clarify ?

-t

Hinson
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2010, 05:48 PM

I’m still trying to figure out where to find someone who’ll take my bet of one whatever-it-is that it will absolutely not run a variant of the Mac OS. But it looks like you’re not my taker.
No, I'm not the one to take the bet, but I do see an issue with the iPad introducing yet another OS platform for programmers. Maybe it will work, but it's a different beast than the iPhone. Everyone has a phone these days, and by partnering with a service provider, Apple was able to competitively price the iPhone, so it gained a user base pretty easily. Programmers WANTED to get in on it.

With the iPad, where's the large user base going to come from? It's not going to replace my phone. If it doesn't run a version of Mac OS (no surprise here if it doesn't, mind you) then it's not going to replace a laptop (unless it can replace a major bit of laptop functionality for LESS money). It sounds like too much of a niche product that wouldn't attract many developers (mind you, iPhone development is largely based around a small screen real estate, so porting from iphone to iPad might not be an easy task).

Their track record is one of making money hand over fist without competing at the low low end. They need to compete with $500 Windows laptops like I need a hole in the head. I mean, I’d love it if I could get cheaper Macs. Even more so, I’d love it if people who need a computer and have really limited budgets didn’t have to write Apple off. But Apple has demonstrated that it doesn’t need to worry about catching up to Microsoft’s market share as long as there are enough people buying in the high-margin product segments they sell.
I guess I'm just not envisioning a large market segment for this device if it's anything like what people are talking about. Can it really simply run iPhone apps, which are developed with a major focus on the small screen size? I don't see it. If it can't, then what will it run? If it runs only a suite of Apple apps, that could limit its appeal. If it requires a lot of extra work from developers, then it might have a problem attracting lots of app-makers (which is a big selling point for the iPhone). IF it DID run some version of Mac OS, AND it was reasonably more affordable than a MacBook, THEN I could understand where it's market could come from.

I'll probably be proven wrong and tones of people will flock to buy a larger version of the iPhone that only runs Safari, Mail, and iLife Lite. I guess we'll find out soon enough

-Jay

Forum Links
Forum Rules