Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Replacement internal HD for 15 " PB

Replacement internal HD for 15 " PB
caleach
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2010, 01:13 AM

Need to try to keep this machine in working condition for a while and wanted to know if any has had specific experience with the different internal HD offerings for 15 " PB.

Thands for any help.
steve

P
Nov 23, 2010, 06:10 AM

It's a standard 2.5" slimline SATA drive, so there are many options from SATA (crazy fast, crazy expensive) to cheaper standard drives in various sizes. Exact details on how to replace it depends on the exact model you have.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 2010, 12:11 PM

If it's a PB, isn't it a EIDE drive?

I guess the question is, what laptop to you have?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 23, 2010, 01:31 PM

amazing is right. No SATA in the PowerBooks.

People like to have opinions on which is the best drive maker. Truth is they all go through good and bad periods. My favourite right now is WD, but my age old advice stands:

The drive WILL fail. Get the longest warranty you can find and keep it backed up. Typically they are all 3 years these days so it makes little odds. If you want to go for extra performance, thats a slightly different matter. But paying much extra for 7200rpm or a bigger cache is a waste of money on a machine that old tbh.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

P
Nov 24, 2010, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
If it's a PB, isn't it a EIDE drive?
Argh, you're right. Read it as MBP for some reason.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules