Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mayweather vs Ortiz - The Aftermath

Mayweather vs Ortiz - The Aftermath
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 06:41 PM

I hadn't done a PPV boxing event in quite some time. Pretty much lost interest in the sport due to the exploding number of weight classes and cookie cutter sanctioning organizations each with their own "champion" ... most of whom seem unwilling to fight each other. But I ended up hosting a Mayweather vs. Ortiz fight party at my house for my brother-in-law's birthday. I wanted to post a Youtube clip of the end of the fight but HBO is asserting copyright claims so they all seem to be taken down. For anyone who saw the fight ... clearly the end was "interesting" to say the least.

What say you on how the fight ended? There's no question Mayweather's left-right combination knockout blows were legal shots. The ref had separated the two fighters and officially called "Time In". The question is were they cheap shots considering the two had just hugged and touched gloves half a second earlier (yeah ... Mayweather really is that fast). Or did Ortiz make a rookie mistake and fail to remember the #1 rule in the ring ... "Protect yourself at all times". Did Ortiz get what he deserved since he had just received a point deduction for a flagrantly intentional head butt against Mayweather that left the inside and outside of his mouth cut?

And more importantly, what say you on the verbal confrontation between Mayweather and Larry Merchant in the post-fight interview?

OAW

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 06:44 PM

Mod ..... please move this to the Lounge. I didn't realize I was in the Political forum.

OAW

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 06:58 PM

I don't watch boxing, too barbaric. I like UFC.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 07:08 PM

Why is this thread in the PWL?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Cold Warrior
Sep 19, 2011, 07:38 PM

Moved.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 07:58 PM

You don't walk around with your hands down against a fighter like Mayweather, that was amazingly stupid. I'd say it was cheap, but it was legal.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Floyd Mayweather
HBO should fire your ass. You don't know sh*t about boxing. You ain't sh*t!
Originally Posted by Larry Merchant
If I were 50 years younger I'd kick your ass!
Originally Posted by Floyd Mayweather
You won't do sh*t!
Pure. Comedy. Gold.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 19, 2011 at 08:51 PM. )

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2011, 08:41 PM

At one time, Larry Merchant had class and didn't try to provoke a boxer after a match. Maybe he was drunk again? Jr is right, it's about time for HBO to look for a fresh commentator.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2011, 08:46 PM

"Protect yourself at all times" that is all that is needed to end the controversy, IMO. The only on that can call time out IS the ref. He got 'laxed and got KTFO.

I wish Larry Merchant was 50 years younger so he could get KTFO out too. I never liked the guy and I agree with Floyd, that he doesn't know sh*t about boxing and should be fired. You have ex-boxers and trainers telling him how it is and he puts his 2 cents in like he's been in the ring. He's been doing that for 50 years and I never had respect for the guy. His interviews are always trying to just chop down guys he doesn't like.

For the record I don't even care for Mayweather, I respect him as one of the best pound for pound, I can't take that from him, but he does to much damn cherry picking of fights for me over the last several years.

The only thing that can save boxing... make it winner take all. I BET you are gonna see a fight then and you will never see another boxer throw a fight.

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 09:10 PM

My 2 cents …

Ortiz was full of sh*t. He tried to claim that the head butt was accidental and the video clearly shows that wasn't the case. Any time you bend your knees, duck down, and then jump up to launch your head upwards into an opponent that's intentional. It wasnt like he made contact simply from moving in with a punch. On top of that … if you look at the earlier footage you can see that he tried this same maneuver and missed on 2 or 3 other occasions. The ref even warned him for it once. Then he wants to apologize 3 or 4 times afterwards. How many times do you have to hug and touch gloves? Damn … after all that I'm wondering if he wants to fight or f*ck.

In any event, the ref clearly motioned for them to resume the fight. He called "time in". Ortiz was apparently more interested in making out than finishing the fight. Another hug. Another touch of the gloves. And then he got KTFO!

Was it legal? No doubt. Was it "classy"? Not really. But considering the circumstances … oh well. Protect yourself at all times playa!

OAW

OAW  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 19, 2011, 09:14 PM

And let me add this …

Larry Merchant is most definitely a hater. Plain and simple. If he never did another match I wouldn't miss him a bit. Harold Lederman knows way more about boxing than that clown … but they never let him in front of the camera. Go figure.

OAW
( Last edited by OAW; Sep 19, 2011 at 09:36 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules