Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Making the move from PC

Making the move from PC
desmoface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 11:31 AM

Hey gang, I hope I've posted this to the right forum. Here goes:

I've had enough of microsoft and windows. It seems like everytime I get and install a windows update, my system gets worse. At this point it's very unstable and always crashing/rebooting. That, and viruses and maintaining all the various programs that go along with windows (ad-aware, spybot, norton anti virus) have forced me over the edge.

I figure most of my software won't work with the new window's vista, so it's time to move to Apple. I hope some of you can answer some questions for me.

1. I'm taking online college courses and it says that I can use Firefox for my browser, so I assume all should be well with my mac and the classes? I can't imagine it wouldn't.

2. I have to uses ms word, powerpoint and excel for school and work, so I will buy it for mac. If I create a document on the mac using ms word, excel or powerpoint, will I be able to access/modify it on a pc using the pc versions of these programs? I have to use a pc at work and the ability for these two systems using the same programs to be compatible is imperative.

3. Last but not least, I use a program that came with my camera, it's called Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 It says its for windows or macintosh, but it's probably 5 years old. Do you think it would work with a new version of mac?

Thanks in advance, I'm a total knothead when it comes to computers and need all the help I can get.

Steve

Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 11:55 AM

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Not with a new Intel Mac. Photoshop Elements 2.0 was a Mac OS 9 Program, I believe, which means it would only run on a PowerPC based Mac with 10.4 or lower installed (i.e. Not your system you plan to buy.) I have a copy of Photoshop Elements 4, which will run relatively well on your Mac, and I would be willing to sell, you can also find on eBay. However, for max. compatibility, Photoshop Elements 6 (newest version) is the way to go for about $90.

aepple
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 01:24 PM

When switching to apple from a PC/windows computer keep in mind that a apple computer is pure macintosh. When i went to the apple store to purchase my powerbook and recently a Mac Pro, i told the sales person i don't even want the word windows mention in regards to my purchase. good luck

Professional Poster
Jun 8, 2008, 01:26 PM

Ignore the above.... I'm not sure where he went, but I have found that Apple employees LOVE to talk about Windows... and how to do the same things on a Mac.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 01:56 PM

Hey everyone, thanks a lot for all the help. It's making my decision a lot easier.

Steve

Zee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 10:45 AM

Hey
I have found that the great thing about Unix based operating systems like MAC and Linux actually provide all kinds of compatibilities, which windows doesn't.. MAking MAC or Linux preferable when you are using different computer OS's at different places and you need them all to be able to work on that data, read that data etc. so you dont have to worry much about compatibility when it comes to a mac

and if you miss windows sometimes you can just run Parallels or something... running windows and mac at the same time.

and if you are a gamer you might need parallels, depending on the country you live in i guess, because here in SA its kinda hard to get games for MAC

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 11:08 AM

Photoshop Elements 6 for the Mac is $90 on the Adobe site.

While switching is the best decision that you could ever make (I changed in Feb 2007 having never touched a Mac before), one thing that I'd beware of are peripherals like your present mobile phone, your camera, your printer/scanner etc. My Sony phone doesn't play nicely with my iMac for instance.

Good luck.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 11:16 AM

Hi Matty, thanks for the reply. I ordered an Imac, 20", should be here Friday, school starts on Monday - Just in time.

I really won't be using much as far as peripherals. I have a cf card reader for my camera and that's really about it. My main concern is that the mac version of Microsoft's Word, Powerpoint and Excell work good, as that's what I'll primarilly be using for school.

I'm looking forward to get her up and running this weekend. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 11, 2008, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zee View Post
Hey
I have found that the great thing about Unix based operating systems like MAC and Linux actually provide all kinds of compatibilities, which windows doesn't.. MAking MAC or Linux preferable when you are using different computer OS's at different places and you need them all to be able to work on that data, read that data etc. so you dont have to worry much about compatibility when it comes to a mac

and if you miss windows sometimes you can just run Parallels or something... running windows and mac at the same time.

and if you are a gamer you might need parallels, depending on the country you live in i guess, because here in SA its kinda hard to get games for MAC
Couldn't agree more with you on cross compatibility. I myself am going to college and everyone there uses PC's. I have no problem creating Excel, Powerpoint, and Word documents and having them play nicely with the workstations on campus.

Make sure to give us a post from your new toy, and good luck in school!

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 01:53 PM

Hey now!! thanks again for all the responses. Maybe once I get her up and running I'll snap some photos and post them here.

Steve

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 11, 2008, 02:17 PM

Mac is short for Macintosh, by the way. It's not an acronym. That's bonus points amongst Mac users if you use it correctly.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2008, 04:58 PM

I got a 20" iMac as well - very good choice.

She's a bit slower than the latest models but she's going to get some more RAM this weekend.

Took me 30 mins between opening the cardboard box and getting onto the internet with the beauty. Gotta love Macs !!!

I signed up to about 20 different forums when I first got my Mac. I am now only a member here and two others.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2008, 05:05 PM

Hi, thanks for the reply. They guy who talked me into the Imac has a 1gb memory stick from crucial from his Imac. Hes let me have it for $30 since he's upgraded to 4gb. 2 gb should be enough for me. I can't wait till she arrives, hopefully Friday. Thanks again for the reply.

Steve

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2008, 11:41 PM

Buy the student versions. They are a lot cheaper.

For 190$ you get a student version Photoshop. (full Photoshop software, but you have to be a student to buy it).

Check out the web, and then resellerratings.com for the best student software store.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2008, 09:35 AM

The student edition of Office 2008 for Macintosh is cheap -- $129-$149 depending on where you buy it.

NewEgg Office 2008 Student Edition

I never need MS Office capability, but by most accounts the new Office 2008 is a pretty nice version. It is of course completely compatible with Windows.

One thing I would mention is that you might want to get a copy of Parallels Desktop. It's about $60, and since you already have a copy of Windows you won't need to buy it. It allows you to run any Windows-only programs you may encounter while in college on your Mac.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

kevin_in_ms
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 06:14 PM

OK, didn't want to start a new thread, so I will piggyback on this one.

Like the above poster, I am through with Windows/MS products.

Right now, I have a desktop and a laptop (both Dell and good in their own rights, but will be going to the kids rooms). I want to eventually purchase an imac as well as a macbook. I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase first, as I don't want to buy both right now.

What I mostly do is search the internet, post on forums, take a ton of digital photos, got like a bazillion songs in my itunes, etc...I like to sit in front of the tv and surf the net, so I am thinking a macbook first is the way to go, but I like the look and ease of the imac.

If it were you, which would you go with first and why?
If more info is needed, let me know...

Thanks,
Kevin

Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2008, 06:16 PM

the only reason I can see for you to get an iMac over a MacBook in your circumstances is screen space. 20" vs. 13" is a huge diff

But overall, I think portability would win it for you.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2008, 11:09 PM

Hey gang, I'm typing on my new refurb'ed Imac, and I can say it was definitely the way to go for me. I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my newbie questions, the help was greatly appreciated.

I am hoping you can give me a bit more advice;

Do you leave your mac running all the time? I see there is a "Sleep" mode - which the manual says to use if you will be away from your puter for more than a couple of days. Which I assume to mean that it's ok to leave it running? What is sleep mode? Is the hard drive still spinning? I'm trying to figure out the difference between sleep mode and off mode LOL.

I have heard that it's better to leave it running than to keep turning it on and off as it's harder on the hard drive?

Also, any recommendations on a good external HD for the time machine? I'm off to Micro Center tomorrow to pick up it, and a uninterupted power supply.

Kevin, when you make your purchase I can wholeheartedly recommend the refurb'ed route, at least as far as the Imac is concerned. I can't find a blemish anywhere, looks like a brand new machine. Thanks again, everyone.

Steve
( Last edited by desmoface; Jun 13, 2008 at 11:27 PM. )

Love Calm Quiet
Mac Elite
Jun 14, 2008, 12:19 AM

HD does not spin during "sleep". And power is way reduced. And "awakening" is so fast. Why ever shut down ("off")? Use the "Energy Saving" section of Control Panel to choose how soon you want it to sleep automatically.
For my powerbook I use the "keyboard & mouse" in Control Panel and set a key combo (like Cntl-Cmd-S) so I can instantly sleep it. Touching any key will awaken.

Also, "yes" to the refurbs. Incredible bargain. All I've done for years.

Enjoy!

PS: I got my signature from back in the System 9 days when trashing prefs was a most common fix for bugginess.
TOMBSTONE: "He's trashed his last preferences"

Professional Poster
Jun 14, 2008, 12:26 AM

Sleep mode basically powers the computer off, but it keeps the current session in memory so you can instatly get back to what you were doing. It consumes little power, but off consumes even less. My rule of thumb is to sleep it unless I'm going to be away for more than 36-ish hours.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 12:27 AM

Hi Love Calm Quiet & Adam, once I get my uninterrupted power supply I'll just use sleep mode instead of shutting her down. Thanks for the reply.

Steve

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2008, 04:10 AM

I leave my iMac on all week, until Sunday just before midday. I shut her down right after the backup for a couple of hours.

I've used a Western Digital MyBook (320G) as an external hard drive for a couple of years now with no issues.

kevin_in_ms : I'd go for the iMac first. Unless portability is top of your list of course.

desmoface  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2008, 02:35 PM

Hey gang, we have Imacage. I have everything up and running, uninterrupted power supply and an External HD For Time Machine. Mattyb, as per your advice I went with the Western Digital HD. Thanks for the recommendation. Here are some pics

Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Jun 14, 2008, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by desmoface View Post
Hey gang, we have Imacage. I have everything up and running, uninterrupted power supply and an External HD For Time Machine. Mattyb, as per your advice I went with the Western Digital HD. Thanks for the recommendation. Here are some pics

Thanks again for all the advice.

Steve
Glad to see the results. I'm sure you'll be happy with your setup!

Forum Links
Forum Rules