Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does OS X support two monitors?

Does OS X support two monitors?
markw10
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 14, 2007, 01:52 AM

My fiancee has a MacBook Pro and I know it has a video out to hook up an external monitor but if you hook up an external monitor can you view both that and the laptop's LCD at the same time.
What I mean is not for the exact same items but as an example she does stock market analysis for a living. She has many screens open at a time monitoring different things in the market and wondered if there's any way she can use a monitor for that use, to have different displays on each. Of course I'm not sure how you'd control it with the mouse/keyboard but is there anything like this that OS X does?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 14, 2007, 02:55 AM

Yes, you can do that.

Connect the external Monitor. Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and make sure "Mirror Displays" is not selected. The panel graphically shows you where the two displays 'meet' and on which screen the menu bar is displayed. You can move the screens and the mneu bar around until you have the arrangement you want. You can then drag windows from one screen to the other.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Jul 14, 2007, 09:08 PM

Macs have supported dual monitors since System 4 in 1987
Actually, the 1987 Mac II supported up to six graphics cards, so you could drive six monitors with it.

These days every Mac has either a built-in monitor + a DVI port for an external monitor, or two DVI ports.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Jul 14, 2007, 11:12 PM

You can also use the F7 key (it's F7 on my Macbook, look for the one with two boxes) to switch between video mirroring and video spanning.

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 08:29 AM

No special icons on my F7 key. I have a feeling that's a notebook-only feature, so you can either use it closed (mirroring) or open in conjunction with another monitor (spanning).

Any other way to do mirroring on an iMac?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by shinykaro View Post
No special icons on my F7 key. I have a feeling that's a notebook-only feature, so you can either use it closed (mirroring) or open in conjunction with another monitor (spanning).
Mirroring is not closed-lid mode. Mirroring means both displays are on and showing the same picture.

Any other way to do mirroring on an iMac?
System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement

shinykaro
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2007, 08:37 AM

D'oh!

Forum Links
Forum Rules