Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here*

Backpack / bag / sleeve for your Mac Notebook? *Look here* (Page 4)
Cryst
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 02:13 AM

I was deciding between a crisp suit and a base toucher. Think I'll get a Base Toucher.....I know of a guy who had a Crisp, he said that carrying the Crisp is somewhat difficult to carry after a while even if you cross sling. If you're carrying books and are on the move often, I recommend the Base toucher, it looks good and feels good. And it doesn't look like a laptop bag either! fits the 17" well too

DUDE 007
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 06:41 AM

Its hard to beat the Z Series cases from Zero Halliburton.
I just ordered the silver Z5 for my PB 17 and let me tell you that its the best protection you can get for such an expensive toy.
I mean its got it all. Aircraft aluminum casing that is rock hard. Shock absorbing buttons and form fitting foam interior for a snug fit. An additional velcro starp for added piece of mind. 3 digit combination lock. A handy detachable padded shoulder strap. A sealed gasket to keep moisture out. And best of all a lifetime warranty. Apparantly the hinges are soooo tough it can with stand 400 pounds of pressure before they dislodge and break apart. Another similar alternative are the cases by a company called Aluminium Cases. They are based in the UK I believe.
If any interest or info is required check the sites:
Aluminiumcases
Zero Halliburton Z5 Powerbook Case

StevenWRX
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 04:18 PM

I got my Shinza sleeve for my 12" ALbook... I love it!

A+

acadian
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 10:37 PM

Just got my "mcBains Lovechild" crumpler bag, XLarge version. Although the site states up to a 15" screen, the actual bag dimensions are 16" which means it fits my 17" Alu just snug enough. I prefer the slimmer look over the crisp suit.

people ruin everything....

Sirfishalot
Oct 23, 2003, 01:08 AM

Can anyone verify that the 15" PBook will fit this sleeve? I measured it at the GAP at only 14" wide. For 20 bucks couldnt go wrong if it were a fit.
Originally posted by DanielPritchard:
They have this messenger bag at the Gap with an orange laptop sleeve inside. As a PowerBook bag it's okay... my 12" fits okay, but a 15" would probably fit very nicely.

The advantage is, besides the laptop sleeve, it's a real messenger bag as well. It's roomy--it holds my huge Stats book and notebooks. You can also take the sleeve out. It's a very nifty bag.

To top all this off, it's only $19.99 now. (I think it was $34.99 when I bought it at back-to-school time.

So I recommend this strongly to anyone who wants to take their PowerBook to class with them.

Get it here, from Amazon.com

C-Bear
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 04:47 PM

I've kind of fallen for the Crumpler bags � love the look and the functionality.

I can't decide between the Crisp Suit (biggest), Very Busy Man (big), and Wack-O-Phone (medium). CrumplerUSA claims that the Alu15" will fit in any of the three, and I'm inclined towards the Wack-O-Phone because I like to keep things lean, but I worry that it might be too lean.

Anyone have some first-hand knowledge here with advice?
When the wine is bitter, become the
wine

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by C-Bear:
I've kind of fallen for the Crumpler bags � love the look and the functionality.

I can't decide between the Crisp Suit (biggest), Very Busy Man (big), and Wack-O-Phone (medium). CrumplerUSA claims that the Alu15" will fit in any of the three, and I'm inclined towards the Wack-O-Phone because I like to keep things lean, but I worry that it might be too lean.

Besides the fact that Crumplers are verrrrrrrry cool and well-made, I can't help you too much. It'd be easier if they didn't have so many bags, eh?

If you are inclined towards lean, the Crispy is straight out. It has tons of everything, and it is semi-rigid, so it would probably feel (and at least look) too bulky for you. The VBM would probably be safe, I mean you wouldn't be disappointed once you got it, I think.

Have fun deciding.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 10:52 AM

Originally posted by StevenWRX:
I got my Shinza sleeve for my 12" ALbook... I love it!

A+
Lucky! Mine's MIA in the mail

I should've just bought an Incase sleeve from the local Apple dealer - would've saved me weeks of waiting and being restricted to using my pb only at home. Ah well, lesson learnt.

Glad you're enjoying the ZeroShock sleeve, though What colour did you get?

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2003, 09:08 PM

I was walking around Bloomingdales last weekend and found some really nice messenger bags. "Jack Spade"...Does that sound familiar? Well you can visit their web site at http://www.jackspade.com/ really awesome bags... Though they are expensive... I opted instead for Gary�s Peppercorn Medium Cargo Suite Spot and it shipped today!

babynino
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2003, 09:30 AM

I decided to get the Crumpler Bags for my 12" AlBook. I currently have a Mentor Boblbee backpack which is great but I need one more smaller bag for med school next year. Anyone here got the Roll-O-Notes or the Wack-O-Phone version? Would love to hear your comments about these bags. Im stuck in what to choose between the two.

Thanks
12" 1GHz AL PowerBook G4 768MB RAM 40GB/APX

MACALEX
Oct 26, 2003, 03:26 PM

I have the same kind problem, I would like to buy PB 17", but don't find any good and slim case, just for PB and power adapter and maybe iPod and maybe cell phone. Any one maybe found one?
I've seen few cases for 17" PB, but didn't find nice one and not a big one. So, it's kind a problem at least for 17" PB.
I've seen many ugly cases as well, looks like it's a place on the market avaliable for new design case company with some kind innovation.
( Last edited by MACALEX; Oct 26, 2003 at 03:39 PM. )

stotan
Oct 26, 2003, 04:12 PM

I've kind of fallen for the Crumpler bags ?love the look and the functionality.

hey C-bear,

i have the wack-o-phone and i use it for my 12inch powerbook
its a little lose fitting (for the 12 inch powerbook), but i didnt want to get one of those brainchild smalls cuz it just looks too small. i have a 14inch panasonic toughbook that also fits into the wack-o-phone though it is a tight squeeze. I think the 15 inch albook will also probably be a tight squeeze. after putting yoru laptop into the bag i'd say you probably have enough room for a few coil ringed notebooks, but that is pretty much it. maybe a 1.5 inch ringed binder although i'd say that it is probably a tight fit (not depth wise, but probably length and width wise). after that, you've got little compartments to fit pens and other small gagets. i'd say the bag is a bit smaller than most medium sized bags, and if your a big/tall person, it might look kinda small on you

cheers

uhh shoot.. nevermind.. i bought the roll-o-notes.. so i'm guessing wack-o-phone will be a bit bigger in every way... probably will be a good fit if you like it lean

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by MACALEX:
I have the same kind problem, I would like to buy PB 17", but don't find any good and slim case, just for PB and power adapter and maybe iPod and maybe cell phone. Any one maybe found one?
I've seen few cases for 17" PB, but didn't find nice one and not a big one. So, it's kind a problem at least for 17" PB.
I've seen many ugly cases as well, looks like it's a place on the market avaliable for new design case company with some kind innovation.
I'd suggest the PS17. I picked one up about six months ago and it's the perfect bag for carrying your PB and the necissities only. It would easily accomodate the things you'd like to carry (unless you've got some gigantic headphones for your iPod) with a little bit of space to spare. Check it out at www.booqbags.com

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2003, 03:33 PM

I am not a large person, so if I get a large bag I will look even smaller I am looking for the best solution for a 15inch Aluminum + power adapter + mouse + extra battery + ipaq/ipod + cell phone. That's it I have a timbuk2 bag that is rather compact, it would fit all of that but it has some problems

it's one of the originals so

1) no laptop compartment
2) no compartments at all
3) no extra padding at all
4) the strap is a little short(at its longest setting)

I am thinking of 2 options

1) the incase shoulder strap pack (is it very small?) minimal?
2) a waterfield sleeve and maybe the piggy back addition, i could always slip the sleeve into my timbuk2 bag.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

jiholl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 01:36 PM

Hi, Does anyone have any actual experience with the Chrome Messenger bags? They look very very cool...but wonder if it is "weird" to carry them on your back...does this make access to contents difficult? Any experience with the laptop sleeve that they sell for the messenger bags? Does it velcro in?

Finally, how about size, seems like there mini (at 20 inches wide at the top), is fine for most needs...next size up is 22 wide...that seems rather large?

Thoughts appreciated

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 30, 2003, 11:33 AM

I have posted pictures on my website of Waterfield Design's Cargo Suite Spot. The bag is totaly solid. It seems like this one is going to hold up for a long time.
http://www.scottpatterson.com/images/waterfield/

beamso
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2003, 12:35 AM

I've got the Very Busy Man for my 15" Aluminium Powerbook. It's a tight fit. That having being said, I'm not sure if anything's changed between styles (mine's the old style).

pgolf
Oct 31, 2003, 09:41 AM

From SFBag sleeves to 3flavors of Crumplers to Acme Bags "the Slim".

I was getting my battery checked at the apple store, when i saw the Acme bag. It stood out from the wall of laptop bags being sold by apple. It's not a 'girlie' lookin bag; just sleek and cool. I was pleasantly suprised by the protection if offered, nylon, foam and plastic(removable sheets on the broad sides) on all sides, in such a slim package. And a soft quilted grey silk material on the inside. The small pocket on the outside was able to fit the brick charger, 5 cds (3 pahter, 1 disk warrior, 1 restore disk), dvi and video dongles and Apples wireless mouse. It was a bit tight, but no ugly bulge.

btw, on a flat surface, with all my stuff, the bag can stand on it's own.

TiUser
Nov 1, 2003, 10:30 AM

Hi, I am intereted in the Spire backpacks and was wondering if anyone knows the 15% discount still exists and where to get it. Thanks.

cal4ever
Nov 1, 2003, 09:30 PM

Judging from what people say on this thread, the crumpler bags seem pretty durable. I like the Crumpler Wee Bee, but i can't find them anywhere--except for bagselect.com. Does anyone know where else I can find the Wee Bee? I've tried searching for it on google with no such luck.

Also, does the wee bee look too small? I want to get a messenger type back--and i've limited my choices between a crumpler bag and a timbuk2 bag.

Thanks in advance!

(",)PB12
Nov 2, 2003, 12:44 AM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
Judging from what people say on this thread, the crumpler bags seem pretty durable. I like the Crumpler Wee Bee, but i can't find them anywhere--except for bagselect.com. Does anyone know where else I can find the Wee Bee? I've tried searching for it on google with no such luck.

Also, does the wee bee look too small? I want to get a messenger type back--and i've limited my choices between a crumpler bag and a timbuk2 bag.

Thanks in advance!
Here's the Wee Bee but i'm not too sure if they ship across the border.

(",)PB12
Nov 2, 2003, 04:57 PM

Has anyone tried the bags from Ogio? Here's the Ogio Clip, bagreviews.com gave it a thumbs up. Wanted some first hand review from users in the forum. here's the image

DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 03:02 PM

I bought a backpack from Eddie Bauer about 1 year ago and it is considered a "commuter bag". It has a compartment for a laptop and it would fit a 17" pb very nicely in it. Plus it has other compartments for discs, ipod, etc. Im happy with it, only paid 40 bucks for it.

P.S. it even holds a compact umbrella!
DakRT

schk
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 4, 2003, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by TiUser:
Hi, I am intereted in the Spire backpacks and was wondering if anyone knows the 15% discount still exists and where to get it. Thanks.
Here you go: SPCST1

jiholl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 08:56 PM

Hi, any thoughts of the Cordura vs. the Ballistic Nylon....you have a choice when build to order on their web site...any experiences appreciated

jiholl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 4, 2003, 11:13 PM

Cordura vs. Ballistic.....this is for the Timbuk2 bags...thanks

cal4ever
Nov 5, 2003, 04:25 PM

cordura or ballistic....

I'm actually in the process of getting a timbuk2 bag myslef. Anyway, about the fabric...

It depends on you. Both are water resistant, and the bag is pretty waterproof because of the inner lining. The biggest difference is in how the material ages. Personally, I'm getting the cordura because my friend has one (and she's had it for over 4 years) and it looks great! It looks a little more like cloth.

The ballistic nylon is a little more reflective. Most timbuk2 bags sold in stores are actually made of this ballistic nylon. Personally, it looks like plastic to me, but it's a personal decision.

One more thing. I would assume that the ballistic nylon is easier to clean. It doesn't seem to absorb as much as the cordura.

Hope that helps a bit.

///Milien
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2003, 10:29 AM

I went with the Boblbee Peoples Delite Executive for my PB 12". Perfect fit and the design is great.
 Mac Pro 8-Core 2.26GHz Xeon | 12GB RAM | 2.5TB HDD | ATI Radeon HD 4870 | 24" LED Cinema Display
 Mac mini [Unibody] 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo | 8GB RAM | 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid HDD | 24" LED Cinema Display
 MacBook Air 1.6GHz Core 2 Duo | 4GB RAM | 256GB SDD
Too many accessories to list...

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 6, 2003, 11:02 AM

Does anyone have experience with Brenthaven Mobility 1 that the Apple Store sells? It looks good, but how's the protection? I'm going to use it with a 12" PB.

TIA!

tonz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 6, 2003, 03:41 PM

I got this 15" glove from STM. Its more like a sleeve. Fits perfectly and very nice feeling to touch while added the extra protection to toss it to another bag.

JasonY01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 04:33 PM

In my opinion SPIREUSA and BOOQBAGS make some of the best looking and quality cases for the 17" powerbook. I had a friends 17" powerbook for about a week while I was selling it for her and I carried the backpack around and it felt great.

Bruck
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 12, 2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by cal4ever:
cordura or ballistic....

I'm actually in the process of getting a timbuk2 bag myslef. Anyway, about the fabric...

It depends on you. Both are water resistant, and the bag is pretty waterproof because of the inner lining. The biggest difference is in how the material ages. Personally, I'm getting the cordura because my friend has one (and she's had it for over 4 years) and it looks great! It looks a little more like cloth.

The ballistic nylon is a little more reflective. Most timbuk2 bags sold in stores are actually made of this ballistic nylon. Personally, it looks like plastic to me, but it's a personal decision.

One more thing. I would assume that the ballistic nylon is easier to clean. It doesn't seem to absorb as much as the cordura.

Hope that helps a bit.

Could you post a digital picture of your friend's bag. Does it feel more like cloth? I would think the bag would look more casual and less flashy then.
| MBA Student | MacAddict | CarAddict | PhotoNut | Dork | PhishHead |

jiholl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2003, 07:52 PM

Could you post a digital picture of your friend's bag. Does it feel more like cloth? I would think the bag would look more casual and less flashy then.

Hi, I just got a Timbuk2 El Ocho that I built off their site..I got Black on both ends and coffee in the center..I got the Cordura fabric....I have seen their bags in the Ballistic...I definetly like the Cordura better...it does look more like cloth...but it still looks professional, not at all to "outdoorsy." No shine like the ballistic..In my opinion has a toned down, upscale, tasteful look. I don't have pictures, but I don't think that you could really tell differnce that way....you could order one and return (with $20.00 restock fee) if you don't like it.

jendmb34
Nov 12, 2003, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
I emailed Spire today at 7:30pm to ask if the 15" AlBook fits in the Endo case... they responded in two hours, on a Sunday!! (And when I asked if they were every going to bring back green as an option, she said she'll tell the designers... that's what you get when it's a little company.)

If that's not awesome service, I dunno what is.

tooki

P.S. The new 15" does fit.

i am thinking about this one for my new 15"

i see that it includes a sleeve... is it the boot or dash sleeve?

do you have this case now, and do you like it?
( Last edited by jendmb34; Nov 13, 2003 at 08:05 AM. )

jendmb34
Nov 13, 2003, 12:00 PM

also, if anyone has any comments on the tom binh id laptop bag, i'd like to hear them.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2003, 01:53 AM

Does anyone have any experience with this Mobile Edge backpack from Ebags.com? I think it looks good for $69.99, but not sure if it's too big or bulky. What do you guys/gals think?

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 01:41 AM

Actually, I think I'm going to go with this. The Nike Epic 1 Backpack. Nice but expensive though.

jendmb34
Nov 17, 2003, 09:13 AM

Tom Binh ID or Spire Endo. Anyone have comments on either?

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by (",)PB12:
Has anyone tried the bags from Ogio? Here's the Ogio Clip, bagreviews.com gave it a thumbs up. Wanted some first hand review from users in the forum. here's the image
I bought the Ogio Clip for my 12" PB. It's a very good bag, but not a 'great' bag. Construction is excellent but the design could make it better. It holds a lot of stuff, with a great lined external pocket for a CD/MP3 player (with a waterproof zipper) and a nice pocket for cellphone (with a cool ejection strap). But while every other pocket closes with a zipper, the main compartment for your laptop just has a flap that buckles. The flap provides decent coverage, but I wouldn't trust it in very bad weather. Also, the shoulder strap could use a pad, and there is no option to take the strap off or even stow it somewhere when not in use.

I bought mine from eBags and shipping was free so it was only about $50 total. A good bag for that price, but if you're looking for a 'great' bag you're gonna have to spend some more.

segfault66
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 17, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
Tom Binh ID or Spire Endo. Anyone have comments on either?
I was shopping around for a messenger style bag for my TiBook 500. I bought and returned a Timbuk2 Commute. It was too bulky for the days that I didn't want to carry my PowerBook. Plus, unburdened, it had a tendency to slip off my shoulder, even with the padded strap. I also looked at the Crumpler bags at the luggage store.

I ended up with a Spire Endo, to complement my 2 1/2 year old Spire Zoom XL backpack. It's a well thought out bag. I typically carry an iPod, PDA, a novel, papers, keys, badge, newspaper, umbrella, and my PowerBook (half the time). The only drawback is the sleeve is now too big for my latest PowerBook, an Al 12". It tends to move around in the sleeve, but so far it hasn't bugged me too much.

BTW, I like the Timbuk2 cell phone/pager holster that wraps around a bag strap with Velcro. It is really useful and I use two with my Endo.

jendmb34
Nov 18, 2003, 10:07 PM

thanks for the input. i am torn between spire and tom bihn. i really like the tom bihn id with the braincell sleeve, but getting that messenger bag and sleeve will run me about $150. hmmph.

EvanV
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 04:43 AM

Eciton
Forum Regular
Nov 22, 2003, 01:15 PM

Hey folks,

don't know whether this has been posted yet, but I came across it and there are a few listings there that aren't duplicated in this thread. Enjoy.

<a href="http://directory.google.com/Top/Computers/Hardware/Systems/Notebooks_and_Laptops/Cases_and_Accessories/">Google laptop case directory</a>.

NickKohn
Forum Regular
Nov 23, 2003, 12:21 AM

Most stores online don't have pictures of the inside of their backpacks (top-down). So, if you have a laptop backpack, please post a picture of it's interior. (I'm trying to find one that can hold textbooks and a laptop at the same time)

ohwhen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2003, 01:39 PM

Hello all,

i recently switched, got myself a 12" rev. b and enjoying it to the fullest for almost a week now. I want to keep my powerbook in perfect shape so i started searching for a bag, and finding this thread prooved to be very valuable, thnx!

I have a question though, i am interested in buying the following backpack: Davos ( http://www.swissarmytravelgear.com/w...29&category=49 ) and in the specifications it notes this:

* Laptop sleeve compatible

i was wondering what this Laptop sleeve looks like, is it on the website? Somehow i cannot find it anywhere...

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 24, 2003, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by ohwhen:
i was wondering what this Laptop sleeve looks like
I think it's this.

jendmb34
Nov 24, 2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by jendmb34:
thanks for the input. i am torn between spire and tom bihn. i really like the tom bihn id with the braincell sleeve, but getting that messenger bag and sleeve will run me about $150. hmmph.
TOM BIHN ID. ANYONE?

i've been trying to get some opinions on this for a few weeks now. i made a thread, but it was locked. anyone have pictures, experience, thoughts, opinions, on this bag?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 25, 2003, 12:49 PM

i was wondering if anyone with a new 15" powerbook, or anyone actually, have one of the new Incase Back Packs?

thanks

http://www.goincase.com/DetailEduPack.php

Harpoonface
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 04:22 PM

Does anyone have one of these new Nike Epic 1 backpacks ?
Just wanted to know what the space was like inside it and how the 15" AL PB fits !

rockhaus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 12:14 AM

I love my Brenthaven Executive Backpack.

http://www.brenthaven.com/products/index.html

It fits my 15" TiBook very well - the inner sleeve is only slightly too small but not a problem - the velcro still seals, and is zippered above that by the pack. Even with the third-party carrying handle on the back of the laptop itself, the whole thing slips very easily into the sleeve.

Brenthaven uses double stitching everywhere.

Other single-stitched packs I've used not only bind in front of my shoulders because the straps do not actually wrap over the tops of my shoulders, painful, but eventually the shoulder straps themselves rip at this critical weight-bearing point.

The Brenthaven Executive might be too big for a petite person, but with very adjustable straps everywhere: contoured shoulders, cross-chest, and cross-belly, it should be more than okay.

I'm a bicycle commuter and would never consider a single-shoulder strap messenger style bag. Many cyclists argue, but they're not carrying an entire production studio - just a bunch of notes.

Protection and comfort are what it's all about. Brenthaven Executive straps are adjustable while pedaling and keep the load balanced for control - critical for avoiding wrecks. One good wipe out and a single-shoulder, unsecured bag goes flying - computer and all.

Try finding that when you're unconscious. I've done a few end-os with my TiBook and all accessories packed tightly into their numerous compartments - no damage to anything, including my back, and my Brenthaven backpack.

Most important, especially since I don't have a car trunk - a backpack is harder to steal provided it is being worn, not carried.

The Brenthaven looks like a camping pack - it doesn't have 'computer' written all over it.

If you use a briefcase-style bag, you need to pay for a cup of coffee. In order to use both hands for cash and carry, the moment you put it down is the last moment you will ever see your laptop again.

On the other hand, most computer backpacks stick out a foot behind you. While standing in line, I've turned too fast and knocked the person next to me into the next Starbucks.

But it beats wondering where I left my bag. Trust no one.

I walked into Safeway with my bike helmet and backpack on.

The guard insisted I leave my bag with him. I asked if he could put it in the safe. "What?" This attracted the manager, so I asked her, too.

"No, but we'll keep it safe while you shop".

I replied that wasn't good enough, it is already perfectly safe so long as I am wearing it.

This wasn't good enough for them, either, so I shop where I am assumed to be a customer, not a thief.

Plenty of room for groceries in there, too.

No other bags needed.
( Last edited by rockhaus; Nov 26, 2003 at 06:32 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules