Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > is my hd toast? invalid b-tree node size

is my hd toast? invalid b-tree node size
baddaawg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2009, 11:49 PM

hi all. i have an ibook g4 (1.07ghz. os x 10.4.11) and i am getting the blinking question mark folder when i start up the computer. i put in the os x disk that i have, started up with the os x disk and ran disk utilities on it and my internal hd is red under utilities and it says that smart status is failing. when i do "fsck_hfs -r /dev/disk0s3" it runs and says "invalid b-tree node size (4, 0)." i got all these tricks from reading various website on the net, but don't know what to do now. is it gone, or can my hd be salvaged?
Old and New Mac Games for Sale:

http://macintoshgames.tripod.com

Cold Warrior
Jan 31, 2009, 11:56 PM

Your hard drive is dying. Use Firewire target disk mode and another Firewire-equipped Mac to try to mount the iBook's hard drive and back up what you can.

However you could try Disk Warrior. It may be able to repair your hard drive long enough for it to boot so you can recover data. Smart status indicates it is failing, which generally means the disk corruption will return.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2009, 11:57 PM

The HD is failing and needs to be replaced, but you may be able to salvage files off of it with a product like Data Rescue II.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Your hard drive is dying. Use Firewire target disk mode and another Firewire-equipped Mac to try to mount the iBook's hard drive and back up what you can.

However you could try Disk Warrior. It may be able to repair your hard drive long enough for it to boot so you can recover data. Smart status indicates it is failing, which generally means the disk corruption will return.
DO NOT attempt a repair onto a failing drive!

Use FireWire Target Disk Mode to mount the drive on another Mac, and if necessary, use DiskWarrior's preview mode (which shows you the drive as if it were fixed, but without actually fixing it) to copy stuff off.

Then replace the drive. If SMART says it's failing, then it definitely is.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 07:59 AM

Definitely replace it if SMART has been tripped.

I've seen drives failing without tripping SMART - they're the worst because you have to guess.
Smartctl (unix app) is good for reading the values from the drive, but it requires knowledge of the command line.

I wish there was a good GUI SMART tool for OS X like SpeedFan for Windows.

baddaawg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 11:34 AM

is it possible to use an external drive on the laptop as the startup drive? in other words, can i buy an external drive, install os x on it, and use that instead of replacing the internal drive?

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 1, 2009, 11:37 AM

Yup, you can use a Firewire drive as a startup drive.

OreoCookie
Feb 1, 2009, 11:59 AM

Do not use your harddrive for anything but recovering your data!
You may want to invest $100 into Data Rescue: it doesn't attempt to repair anything, it only reads your data and tries to reconstruct. It is saved onto another harddrive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

baddaawg  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 1, 2009, 12:51 PM

so once i get the firewire drive and install os x on it, i have to select that drive as the startup drive once i restart the machine right, so it doesn't restart with the os x cd, yes?

Forum Links
Forum Rules