Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP Color LaserJet 200 m251nw troubles

HP Color LaserJet 200 m251nw troubles
HamSandwich
Dec 20, 2016, 07:28 AM

Hey everybody,

we have bought the color laser printer HP Color LaserJet 200 m251nw some time ago and it worked fine until recently. Nothing changed. We connect it to an iMac running OS X 10.9.5, so the iMac may be a bit old. The printer is connected through Ethernet.

1) For a few weeks now, the printer often cleans itself during the day, more often than it did before.
2) The printer started to print only in gray and the gray is weird, instead of black and white. Color printing still works, but black seems to be flawed.
3) Sometimes, the printer doesn't print all pages, instead only printing two pages instead of three etc. Weird!

That's the list. Any help? I will run around and see for new drivers or a firmware update. I can also call the HP hotline. Maybe, we have to send in the printer! Any other idea? Can it be connected to using such an old iMac and 10.9? So a new computer would be the answer, which is another option.

No help so far, hope you have an idea.
Greetings,
PeterParker

HamSandwich
Dec 20, 2016, 11:08 AM

4) There's a message sometimes - pretty often - that states "the page was placed wrong on the paper". But everything is okay with the paper, everything as usual. Any idea?

Thorzdad
Dec 20, 2016, 03:24 PM

Re-seat the ink cartridges.
Unplug the power to the printer for several minutes, and see if that doesn't clear-out whatever is making it do this.
Also check and make sure there isn't a job stuck in the print queue.

HamSandwich
Dec 20, 2016, 06:41 PM

Hmm... let's see,..,

reader50
Administrator
Dec 20, 2016, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
Unplug the power to the printer for several minutes, and see if that doesn't clear-out whatever is making it do this.
++ good advice

I've lost track of how many people I have to tell: their "appliance" today is an embedded computer. For anything programmable (nearly anything with buttons) it's cheaper to throw a generic processor in than to custom-engineer a controller. Computers can and do go wonky if they're left on indefinitely.

So many friends devices have all cleared up after rebooting. I'm looking at you, satellite boxes. But this issue affects even coffee makers today.

HamSandwich
Dec 21, 2016, 07:21 PM

Hey,

I tried pulling the power plug and left it for 10 minutes. It didn't help. I tried put away he toners. This didn't help either. Somehow, the software of the printer seems messed up. Always the same error message....

Help!
Pete

andi*pandi
Dec 22, 2016, 02:16 PM

Did you recently purchase or install offbrand ink cartridges? I have heard that some printers are programmed to hate that. If you have the correct brand cartridges, try those instead.

"page placed wrong on paper" implies to me that what you are sending does not fit on the paper, maybe horizontal when it should be vertical, etc. Can you select the "print to fit on page" option?

Thorzdad
Dec 22, 2016, 02:16 PM

Did the Apple rep confirm that the printer is supported in 10.9.5? They add/drop printer support with each release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules