Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cats == worst pet ever

Cats == worst pet ever
fxbezak
Senior User
Location: mysql> CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Jul 16, 2004, 11:07 AM

<Rant>

Now.. my girlfriends step mother has cats. 3 of them to be exact. They are "the girls", as stated by her. BTW cats are not humans. The cats are read to, walked outside and have free reign of the house (allowed to walk on, drink out of, claw up, piss on, anything they choose). READ TO!...who reads the NY times magazine to their cat, and if you do.. what perscription drugs are you taking so I can suggest them.

What is the limit here, is my question. If your cat, or if you dont have one, pretend, pissed all over your house and ruined your hardwood floors in the foyer, and destroyed your carpeting in the stairway, how long would that cat be alive/throw out into the street?

</rant>
( Last edited by fxbezak; Jul 16, 2004 at 11:57 AM. )
The Desires of Youth are the Regrets of Maturity.
http://www.unixtree.net

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 11:12 AM

Good book.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by fxbezak:
my girlfriends stemp mother
Yeah, stemp mother's can be annoying...

-t

voyageur
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:21 AM

She sounds like she might be very lonely, and the cats are substituting for human companionship in her life.

soul searching
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:25 AM

Don't people do this with their dogs as well? Or any pet for that matter.

"I think of lotteries as a tax on the mathematically challenged." -- Roger Jones

djohnson
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 11:25 AM

Poor kitty cats... She needs a dog.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 11:32 AM

Yes.

Walker
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 11:35 AM

Sickest cat joke I've heard---

How do you make a cat sound like a dog???

Pour gasoline on it......light it with a match..... it goes WOOOOOOF!

And I'm an animal lover. But I don't really like cats.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 11:46 AM

<Rant>
What is the limit here, is my question. If your cat, or if you dont have one, pretend, pissed all over your house and ruined your hardwood floors in the foyer, and destroyed your carpeting in the stairway, how long would that cat be alive/throw out into the street?
</rant>
How long would they be alive?!?! hope you are joking here...

This has NOTHING to do with CATS, it has everything to do with the way they are allowed to behave.

I have 2 cats and, as much as I love them, they would NEVER get away with that crap, pissing wherever they choose is ridiculous. When I first got my cats they FOUND the litter box themselves and have been using it ever since, you don't need to train a cat like you do a dog, in fact any cat I have been around unless sick or some other abnormal reason ONLY uses the litter box.

They bury their poop and piss instinctively and I would like to know how she has trained these cats to NOT use the litter box, that is quite a feat.

As for the reading to part, some people read to plants, is it weird, perhaps, but our cat LOVES to lay with us and watch TV, perhaps he just loves to be around us, but he goes away if we are there and the TV is off.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 11:54 AM

I have a dog who is very neurotic and compulsive. Recently she started forgetting where the bathroom is. She's only four, we know it's not old age, we just think she wasn't at the front of the line when brains were handed out.
We would never get rid of her, but all the same, we recognize that behavior is not acceptable and if our most recent training regimen doesn't fix things, it's time to go to the vet and get Doggie Downers. We certainly would not let it continue without trying to change her behavior. And we certainly wouldn't read the NY Times Magazine to her, since it would be mostly over her head. Newsweek, perhaps...

(We think that she's just naturally anxious, and getting more so as she gets older, and gets particularly anxious when confined or when we're not home. Of course, since she's forgotten where the bathroom is, we have to confine her when we're not home, which makes her doubly anxious. )

The one thing she does correctly, though, is bark at the neighbor's cats. I have nothing against cats, really -- I think they're the perfect pet -- for other people.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Location: mysql&gt; CREATE TABLE bar (m INT) SELECT beer FROM tap;
Jul 16, 2004, 12:01 PM

Originally posted by bleuvixen:
How long would they be alive?!?! hope you are joking here...
Sorry, IMHO Euthanasia and pets are totally acceptable.

We are talking about a cat pissing on everything that is like 15 years old and weighs about 10-14 lbs here. I think kitty cat's time on this earth is over.

no joke
Put cat in carrier
Bring to vet
vet make kitty go sleepy
no more pissing on carpets.

OR

Drop cat off at shelter(if your worried about being humane)

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:01 PM

If you really care about the girl you shouldn't let the cats get ing the way.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 16, 2004, 12:03 PM

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:05 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
she hates them too. Its her lunatic step mom who htinks the cats are "real people".

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2004, 12:07 PM

This has NOTHING to do with CATS, it has everything to do with the way they are allowed to behave.
I second this. None of my 5 cats has ever pissed/pooped where it shouldn't. One of them occasionally throws up where she shouldn't, but then so do I.
In fact, one of my cats who doesn't like using the tray will wait for hours until she's let out of the house - so long in fact, that it's been causing her bowel problems which the vet has had to look at.

el chupacabra
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:25 PM

<Rant>

READ TO!...who reads the NY times magazine to their cat, and if you do.. what perscription drugs are you taking so I can suggest them.
</rant>
I read the news paper to my pet sea sponge

Jaey
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by el chupacabra:
I read the news paper to my pet sea sponge
You have a pet sea sponge!? I'm jealous...

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
I second this. None of my 5 cats has ever pissed/pooped where it shouldn't. One of them occasionally throws up where she shouldn't, but then so do I.
In fact, one of my cats who doesn't like using the tray will wait for hours until she's let out of the house - so long in fact, that it's been causing her bowel problems which the vet has had to look at.

I'm with fxbezak on this topic. Cats piss. Enough said.

You can lie to yourself and pretend your cat has never pissed anywhere except the litterbox - but most cat owners know better.

I bet you a million dollars that your cat has, indeed, pissed/sprayed near entrances, his 'favorite sleeping spot', perimeter walls, and several other random vertical surfaces such as the sides of chairs or furniture. To deny this fact is to deny the natural instincts of domestic cats - and, to be sure, the entire feline population globally.

Wanna know where your cat has pissed? Borrow a dog for a few minutes. Or just ask me. I have enough experience to predict *where* a cat will piss - even if you don't own one yet.

A million dollars says your cat has pissed outside the litterbox. All I need is a dog, five minutes, and I'll be right.

phoenixboy70
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 12:40 PM

cats sometimes pee where they shouldn't because they are "pissed off" and want to let you know. my mom's cat used to do that all the time.

it would walk into the corner of the room and take a pig wiz right there, and then look at you like "there, now see what you've made me do. ha!"

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:54 PM

she hates them too. Its her lunatic step mom who htinks the cats are "real people".
so the problem here is the lunatic step mom, not the cats.

cats are fine. leave them out of this.

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:
cats sometimes pee where they shouldn't because they are "pissed off" and want to let you know. my mom's cat used to do that all the time.
Or they do it if they aren't castrated/sprayed.

We've just goten a wee kitten, and he has only had one accident - he peed in my bed 4 days ago, no problem anymore - he just needed to be shown where the litterbox is and ever since he has been able to do his business where he should.

Try and teach a puppy that...

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 12:55 PM

None of my cats (6, all told) have ever whizzed anywhere but their litter box (or outside, when I had outside cats). When a cat is sick, they'll sometimes crap where they aren't supposed to � especially if they're having some sort of allergic reaction or stomach issues.Other than the few times that's happenned, out cats have always been good housekeepers.

Of course, we only have 1 or 2 cats at a time � not freaking 5 at once � so that's one reason ours have always been well behaved.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
None of my cats (6, all told) have ever whizzed anywhere but their litter box (or outside, when I had outside cats). When a cat is sick, they'll sometimes crap where they aren't supposed to � especially if they're having some sort of allergic reaction or stomach issues.Other than the few times that's happenned, out cats have always been good housekeepers.

Of course, we only have 1 or 2 cats at a time � not freaking 5 at once � so that's one reason ours have always been well behaved.

Maury
a good point here.

do NOT let the cats outnumber the humans. our house has 2 cats and 2 humans.

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
so the problem here is the lunatic step mom, not the cats.

cats are fine. leave them out of this.
no its the shenanigans that go on. I SWEAR to god that that the cat is her familiar and it reports back to her. ITs all about how they are treated. They are so spoiled they run at teh sight of anyone other than her. Its insanity. I totally agree about its teh way they are treated. If you spoil them and dont treat them like pets, they are going to over run your life. Animals are not equal to humans and are going to fight for dominance if you let them.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
You can lie to yourself and pretend your cat has never pissed anywhere except the litterbox - but most cat owners know better.
Agreed, although, our male is fixed and I have never seen him spray or act in that way. Cats will sometimes piss outside the litter box, heck Ive pissed myself on occasion :-)

The norm should NOT be pissing everywhere, we pulled up the carpets after 3 years with cats and the only place we found piss was near the litter box when our female had an infection and would piss outside of it. Spray is another story as you would not normally "see" it.

Now we have 100% wood floors and would notice if it pissed anywhere!

We are talking about a cat pissing on everything that is like 15 years old and weighs about 10-14 lbs here. I think kitty cat's time on this earth is over.
If the cat is pissing because it is elderly that is a different story, if the cat was pissing because you let them behave this way to me that would be unacceptable.

When you get an animal it is a responsibility and if you are an idiot and let your animals behave in this manner you are to blame, same if a dog crapped/pissed everywhere because you never trained it. The dog should not be put down because it was never trained.

If the dog was elderly and started to deteriorate and do these things I see it as acceptable to put it down, heck even my grandma would love to be "put down" because she takes 23 different pills a day to "live", that is a whole other discussion though.

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 01:39 PM

If the cat is pissing because it is elderly that is a different story, if the cat was pissing because you let them behave this way to me that would be unacceptable.

When you get an animal it is a responsibility and if you are an idiot and let your animals behave in this manner you are to blame, same if a dog crapped/pissed everywhere because you never trained it. The dog should not be put down because it was never trained.

If the dog was elderly and started to deteriorate and do these things I see it as acceptable to put it down, heck even my grandma would love to be "put down" because she takes 23 different pills a day to "live", that is a whole other discussion though.
So the Stepmom should be Euthanased you mean? Cause they learn bad behavior through her.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 01:46 PM

So the Stepmom should be Euthanased you mean? Cause they learn bad behavior through her.
I never said that, I said she is to blame for the behavior of the Cat(s).
Do you think an acceptable punishment is to kill her?

I never said she should be punished anyway, I said she is to blame, I don't think killing a animal because you have allowed it to piss anywhere it wants and to takeover the house is being a responsible pet owner.

If the cat is elderly and doing these things because of that it is one thing, but this sounds like it has nothing to do with being an older cat.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2004, 01:47 PM

We didn't want to say it quite so abruptly, but yes, something along those lines.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2004, 01:59 PM

On a practical note, if you're having a problem with cats peeing where they shouldn't - usually because they're stressed or mad about something - I can heartily recommend Feliway.

Chills them right out.

fxbezak  (op)
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 02:18 PM

"Your cat is more than just a pet: he's a member of your family. And, if he's exhibiting urine spraying or other cat behaviors associated with stress, you want the gentlest means possible to redirect those tendencies. Feliway can help!"

WHAT!!

Im sorry. Gotta disagree. Its this same mentality that prove people like my GF's stepmom to require heavy medication. The way this reads to me is that your pet is like a child.

And WTF.. STRESS?! are you serious? cats sit around all day and do nothing. I wish I could define stress as "laying around"

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 02:32 PM

And WTF.. STRESS?! are you serious? cats sit around all day and do nothing. I wish I could define stress as "laying around"
I love Dogs and cats I need to ask what about a Dog? I'm sure most of them just "lay around" as well til you or someone gets home. Come on now, that is not a very good arguement here. Also a Cat you can leave alone when you go on vacation, a dog on the other hand you can't. With a cat you just leave it some food and water and it'll take care of itself. ANY pet will help to reduce stress not usually cause it.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 03:11 PM

These cats are one or more of the below:

* Abused
* Neglected
* Under some other form of stress (see below)
* Not properly cared for (no clean box, not enough food/water)
* Not spayed/neutered
* Sick or injured
* Allowed or encouraged to misbehave

It's not hard to have a well-behaved cat. Easier than a dog, I'd say. But if a cat is spayed/neutered, has a box which is kept clean, and is gently corrected for misbehaving when young, it's VERY difficult to have a rude cat like you're talking about. The cats are not to fault here, your stepmom is 100%.

Even cats that aren't declawed can very easily be trained to use a scratching post. Any person who has a cat that ruins furniture or pees all over the place has only themselves to blame.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 16, 2004, 03:15 PM

I love pussy!

"Hello, what have we here?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 03:35 PM

You've never owned a cat before, that's for sure.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I love pussy!
Yep. And you got a beard like one

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 16, 2004, 03:47 PM

"Your cat is more than just a pet: he's a member of your family. And, if he's exhibiting urine spraying or other cat behaviors associated with stress, you want the gentlest means possible to redirect those tendencies. Feliway can help!"

WHAT!!

Im sorry. Gotta disagree. Its this same mentality that prove people like my GF's stepmom to require heavy medication. The way this reads to me is that your pet is like a child.

Dude, you've obviously � and thankfully � never owned a cat, because that's just flat-out wrong. Wrong, at least, if you actually care for and interact with your cat/dog/bird/whatever.

Our cat pines over me, and our bird is crazy about my wife. They both engage and interact with us, and I hope that some day you'll be able to understand how great taking true care of a pet can be.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Jul 16, 2004, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by turtle777:
Yep. And you got a beard like one

-t
I don't get it.

"Hello, what have we here?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 16, 2004, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
I don't get it.
Never mind !

-t

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2004, 05:48 PM

Sorry, but if you think it's OK to kill an animal because its owner isn't providing a clean place to urinate/defecate then I think you need a little help.

vexborg
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Sorry, but if you think it's OK to kill an animal because its owner isn't providing a clean place to urinate/defecate then I think you need a little help.
You are so right!

He should try and be locked in a house with no means of escape, with a more than filthy loo, and then try and find a place to do a dump or take a pee - if he need to pee, he'll do where he is when he's going to burst...

bewebste
Senior User
Jul 16, 2004, 06:06 PM

The only instance I know of of one of our family's cats pooping/peeing somewhere other than outside or in the litter box was the time that the cat accidentally got locked in the bathroom, where the litter box wasn't. We got home and let her out, and she had climbed into the bathtub and left a poop down at the end right by the drain. Pretty smart cat, if you ask me. Cats are way way way way waaaaaaaay better than dogs when it comes to this sort of thing.

Now, vomiting in random places, that's another story, although that is, of course, not really under the cat's (or dog's) control.

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 16, 2004, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by gorickey:

Good book.
The only book to surpass it was "The Official I Hate Stepmothers Book."

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 11:31 AM

Here's the answer to your problems, fxbezak: NeCoRo, the Robot Cat!

http://www.necoro.com/theater/index.html

The best part is that they're covered in real cats fur, specially imported from Korea!

It seems that you really can have your cat and eat it, too!

dialo
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 12:06 PM

I've hat a ton of cats over the years, and only one ever pissed on anything she wasn't supposed to, that only happened a couple times and she was old.

On the other hand, I've almost always had at least one dog, and you always have to expect that at some point that dog is going to crap on the floor some day when no one is home and he/she is sick. And then it's usually even nastier than normal dog ****.

There is no question at all that dogs are far more trouble in the ****/piss department, particularly now that we have an automatic little box for the cat.

dialo
Senior User
Jul 17, 2004, 12:20 PM

Not true. My cats are actually as active and interactive as any of the dogs. The only difference between cats and dogs is that dogs typically push their activity into your face more, either through a lot of energy as a little dog or sheer size, like my 110 pound lab or my cousin's 60 pound very "protective" pit bull. But in the end, there really isn't much difference. Hell, in my experience cats pick up games like fetch far quicker than dogs.

As for stress, both dogs and cats clearly get stressed out when in stressful situations, for instance, being around people that argue a lot.

shmerek
Professional Poster
Jul 17, 2004, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by phoenixboy70:

it would walk into the corner of the room and take a pig wiz right there, and then look at you like "there, now see what you've made me do. ha!"
One of my cats when I was a kid would come in to my room in the middle of the night to let me know she wanted to go outside and if I didn't get up she would piss on me! I loved that cat it had a wicked sense of humour.

amsalpemkcus
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 01:57 PM

I love freaking the bejesus out of cats to see how amazing they are in their quick reflexes. One afternoon, I gently placed an alarm clock (the wind-up the key sort) set to go off in like 5 minutes near a stupid neighbor's cat that was taking it easy on my porch. You should have seen that cat bounce and fly away like it was hit by a lightning!! It was hilarious!! So I think cats are stupid but they can be fun to mess with.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2004, 03:06 PM

<Rant>

If your cat, or if you dont have one, pretend, pissed all over your house and ruined your hardwood floors in the foyer, and destroyed your carpeting in the stairway, how long would that cat be alive/throw out into the street?

</rant>
my cat would never do such a thing, because he knows his role. the worst thing my cat ever does is throw up, and that only happens maybe 1 every 2-3 months. but if you let your cat do whatever the hell it wants then they are going do stuff like that. cats are very good pets, i'd say blame the owners in this case (no offense)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2004, 04:36 PM

My cat never peed anywhere other than the literbox. She's very friendly and loves people. Nothing like the "bad" cats mentioned!

Forum Links
Forum Rules