Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hurricane Redux

Hurricane Redux
Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 02:57 PM

What are the chances of another hurricane hitting us head on?

First there was Frances which ruined our home and destroyed our cars:

Now there is hurricane Jeanne:

WHAT are the chances of being hit, straight on, not once but TWICE?

(Edited to fix an image)
( Last edited by Cody Dawg; Sep 23, 2004 at 03:49 PM. )

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2004, 03:16 PM

Well, now it is going to hit us, because God hates IE for Mac.

Edit: Couldn't you have just posted the GIF, instead of a big-ass pic of your browser of you looking at the GIF?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2004, 03:19 PM

Move. Seriously. There's no way I'd live in Fla. right now (or anywhere along the SE coast, for that matter).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 03:28 PM

MindFad: I converted it from .pdf to .jpg using Kunvert so that's why it looks like that, sorry! I'm not as savvy as other folks here (like you!)

Yeah, I'm starting to think that moving is a good idea?

Seriously!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 03:50 PM

MindFad: Fixed it for ya!

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2004, 07:23 PM

I am in Martin County and we are getting ready to leave now :-)

Sucks, I don't even know if I will have time to put up shutters, I am way too busy this week.

I think we have been shitting on the eart too much and this is what we get.

:::hops in SUV and drives to fill up::: j/k

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 09:52 PM

Hey, bleuvixen...you're right above me! I go up to Shrimper restaurant in Port Salerno all of the time. They have THE BEST chicken sandwich I have ever had, period.

We spent the afternoon getting gasoline on Indiantown road in Jupiter. I waited in a line for freaking 2 hours then got up to the pump and it took 20 minutes to pump gas because it is coming out in a dribble due to all of the people pumping gas. The police are directing traffic at all of the gas stations and some are just closed now because they're out of gas.

Went to Publix grocery store and the shelves are bare. No milk, bread, eggs, and even the fresh vegetables are gone.

But, we done good: Got a good supply of beer.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 23, 2004, 09:53 PM

This just came in from my kid's soccer coach -- he's a funny guy:

5 gallons of gas and gas can: $18
Generator purchased out of desperation: $650
Opportunity to spend the night in your dark, humid unair conditioned room with your children: priceless.
_
Yes, folks, mother nature has conspired against us once again.__We are all more interested in making sure everyone is battened down than anything else.__We've seen the lines and want to make sure everyone is safe and sound so that they can live to play another day.__Therefore, we are suspending soccer operations.__We hope to start up on Monday.__That decision will be made after we have the opportunity to assess the situation.
_
If the area is without significant power, you can count on no soccer on Monday.
_
I know this a disappointment, but you can't mess with the weather.__If the storm speeds up, we don't want anyone caught short because they were at the soccer fields.
_
Be safe and be on the lookout for information on Sunday.

_

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2004, 12:43 AM

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 01:43 AM

The Image Archive off of the www.noaa.gov home page has some incredible hi res imagery of these storms (as if being in them isn't enough).

The file directory at http://www.nnvl.noaa.gov/hurseas2004/ even has an amazing 23MB mpeg movie of Charley's full course from development to dissipation.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 06:52 AM

Originally posted by Cody Dawg:
snip...

Ahh, good ole' Shrimpers :-) We usually go to Bare Bones but the staff as of late has been real jerks... anyway, are you riding the Storm out?

We had 80 year old grand parents in Rocky Point and FINALLY got them to go to NJ to stay with the uncle for a few days, their roof is already leaking and tarped and that will be gone if the winds are anything like they are predicting.

Our house fared much better (lost a few shingles) so we will probably stay here to take care of anything that happens quickly.

Well, hopefully work is closed today (I work on the Island in Sewells Point) so I can drive the Grand parents to the airport in orlando... oh the joy...

I just remembered that I still have video of Frances I shot on Mini DV that hopefully one day I will sit and edit up.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2004, 07:08 AM

Hey! Up at 6:00 AM making the usual coffee and hurricane preparation plans.

What people don't realize, because they haven't been in them, is that no matter where you live, if a hurricane comes within 200 miles of you there is a lot damage, within 400 miles of you there is still damage, and a direct hit within 100 miles? Devastation.

I was thinking of leaving for another coast, yes, bleuvixen. Heading over to Sarasota if I think it's going to be devastating and depending on how strong it is.

Hey, bleuvixen, be careful if you live near the beach. Remember those people up in Jensen Beach and Hutchinson Island who had their homes fill up with sand to within two feet of their ceilings? I couldn't believe the thousands of homes that filled up with sand.

At any rate, do you need help up there? PM if you do. Our plywood is still up and we're ready to go.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 07:14 AM

clip
Coffee sounds good! hah

We should be ok, we're west of US 1, actually now I have to get to work :-( at least for a lil while, we were looking at hotels too :-)

bye for now!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2004, 07:43 AM

We're only 2 minutes from the beach so we tend to get pounded.

Good luck to you - and anyone else!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 07:09 AM

Up at 7:00 AM.

Trying to figure out if this thing is going to hit us...where?

Jupiter, again?

Or further north, Stuart, where you are bleuvixen?

It is oddly calm outside but the sky over the ocean was red this morning. Reminds me of "Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 09:35 AM

Up at 7:00 AM.

Trying to figure out if this thing is going to hit us...where?

Jupiter, again?

Or further north, Stuart, where you are bleuvixen?

It is oddly calm outside but the sky over the ocean was red this morning. Reminds me of "Red sky in the morning, sailor's warning."

My Friends in West Palm are boarding up again. I told them that as the Godfather of their child, I might have to take him away for his own protection, since they live in such a dangerous place.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 09:39 AM

If they need help then PM me, okay? We'll help anyone that we can.

bleuvixen
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2004, 10:45 AM

I guess we are waiting for the update at 11... they are saying possible cat. 4 now so I am more worried...

Judging from last time our power should be out any time now :-)

When are you planing on heading out, hope everyone stays safe and this thing stays at a 2 or 3

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2004, 10:50 AM

I played a Yom Kippur/Kol Nidrei service in West Palm Beach last night and the Rabbi's opening comments included:

"I got an email from God last week. He said if you promise to accurately count the votes, I'll end the plague of hurricanes."

Seriously though, hope all of us are prepared and best of luck - especially all you MacNNers just to my north who had way more trouble with Frances than I did.

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2004, 01:03 PM

Hey! Up at 6:00 AM making the usual coffee and hurricane preparation plans.

What people don't realize, because they haven't been in them, is that no matter where you live, if a hurricane comes within 200 miles of you there is a lot damage, within 400 miles of you there is still damage, and a direct hit within 100 miles? Devastation.

I was thinking of leaving for another coast, yes, bleuvixen. Heading over to Sarasota if I think it's going to be devastating and depending on how strong it is.

Hey, bleuvixen, be careful if you live near the beach. Remember those people up in Jensen Beach and Hutchinson Island who had their homes fill up with sand to within two feet of their ceilings? I couldn't believe the thousands of homes that filled up with sand.

At any rate, do you need help up there? PM if you do. Our plywood is still up and we're ready to go.
Hey, if you have any pets (like your Jack Russell) that need a place stay while you're over here (Sarasota), we'd be more than willing to take care of them here with our three cats and two well-behaved small yorkies. How'd you fare from Frances?
DBGFHRGL!

Psychonaut
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2004, 01:04 PM

dp
DBGFHRGL!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 01:24 PM

Thanks, psychonaut! You're a real stand-up person!

The JRT was just neutered so I'm going to keep him close by to make sure he's okay, but thanks a bunch.

We have our car loaded up and ready to go if we need to. Right now the plan of action is to see where it heads and then figure it out. If it's a head-on hit and it's already a category 3 then we're leaving.

I'm even hearing rumors of a category 4 believe it or not. That will mean millions of people without power for weeks and thousands without homes. Remember, people lost their roofs from Frances and all they have on their roofs right now are blue tarps put on by the Army Corp of Engineering or FEMA. When Jeanne blows through they will have homes without tarps and their homes will be wide open to the hurricane.

It's bad down here.

Here are hurricane Frances pix again. Frances was only a category 2 and it totaled my Nissan.

Thanks to the insurance god I got enough of a claim check to be able to afford a new vehicle. I named the new vehicle "Frances." Frances (the vehicle) is now loaded to the hilt and ready to go. I decided to buy huge instead of trying to remain socially conscious and gas-conservative (which is why I stuck with my Nissan Altima) because I thought, just thought, that I might be running away from a hurricane again. Little did I know it would be about 3 weeks later. Here's my ride outta town!

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2004, 03:26 PM

If they need help then PM me, okay? We'll help anyone that we can.

Very kind of you, Cody, thanks! i think that they're actully still mostly set from Francis. They didn't get power back until last Saturday, so they spent most of the month staying with other family.

Good luck with the storm.... I remember how much Floyd scared me back in 1999... I was sure that we were toast then!

How ironic is it that the remains of Ivan are hitting where I'm at in Texas today..

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 03:53 PM

You're welcome.

We're all sitting here waiting to see who Jeanne nails first. We're ready to zoom outta here if it decides to come straight at us. If it's heading north towards Stuart or Vero Beach then I guess we'll be safe, but I sure feel sorry for those of you further north.

Right now we're cooking all of the things in the refrigerator that can't stay good without a fridge. Subsequently we're having NY strips steaks, bacon, and eggs. Then we're all set for the afternoon.

We'll see what happens!

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 09:48 PM

Here we are in a category 3/4 hurricane, holed up, and it's coming ashore where live. There is no way to describe being in a hurricane...it sounds like freight trains are speeding by each side of the house. Along with that comes strange booms and thumps as trees fall and things hit the house at 100+ miles per hour. We have no electricity and we are sitting in the middle room listening to the roof creak and wondering if that is going to fly off at any minute. The eye wall (strongest part) of the hurricane has not hit yet, but will soon.

It is actually like being in the middle of a tornado for 5 hours. It is really unbelievable.

This storm is a killer. I can see why thousands died in Haiti from this storm.

Wish us all luck.

P.S., Posting on a laptop PC on dial-up since power is out. Neighbors truck has been knocked over on its side in his driveway and my patio screen cage has been ripped off of the house and who knows where it is. GONE. That thing was huge.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 09:51 PM

Oh, forgot to say that you can see it all on radar here.

This is pretty freaky, folks.

Wish us all luck down here.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2004, 10:48 PM

Well, after this post I am shutting down and maybe dying.

This is so bad - it's unbelievable. The entire house is rattling and shaking. The windows are rattling and the plywood has been ripped off of the windows (screwed in with 3 inch screws) and my new roof sounds like it is coming off.

So, living la vida loca down here. Just checking in to see if anyone else is going through the same.

My yard is also flooded - water halfway to my house and about 2 feet deep. This one is much worse than Frances was.

bleuvixen, wherever you are, I hope you're safe.

Over and out.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 02:39 AM

damn, local footage of melbourne/surrounding areas looks real bad. hope you're okay, there's still a few hours of solid_weather comin' your way.

this hurricane's got 70,000+ residences in Broward County (where I am) without power, and the center of the storm is 80+ miles away.

Palm Beach, 500,000+ without power.

good luck to you all north of me.
ice

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 05:33 AM

Good luck Florida.

Capt Shane
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 10:32 AM

Checking in from gainesville, going to get here in the next 4 hours or so, we still have massive amounts of trees down from frances but I am sure it is that way all over the state...

PWNED
-Shane

Go Army!

Signal Corps the Voice of Command!

wtf_reporter
Forum Regular
Sep 26, 2004, 10:42 AM

whoa!!! looks like this one has them by the balls!!

( Last edited by wtf_reporter; Sep 26, 2004 at 10:57 AM. )
--------
the best there is

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 11:08 AM

by the balls, it would seem.

currently sunny, beautiful, breezy here in fort lauderdale..

I drove around a bit, and while the storm didn't hit here (again) we did get a fair amount of tropical storm force winds and then some. most of the trees that were weak had already been pulled up from the ground in the previous hurricanes, so not much damage 'showing' around here, 'cept for the typical mobile home stuff..

melbourne, stuart.. wow. again. wtf
ice

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 11:08 AM

reporting from clearwater florida. woke up this morning to all the windows in my apartment shaking.

the palm trees outside look like they are taking some strain against the wind. a whole lot of rain and wind.

seems okay though.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 11:09 AM

oh, and over 1 million without power, and the storm's not even anywhere near out of the state yet.

: \
ice

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 02:17 PM

My friends in West Palm are ok - they lost the rest of the fence that Francis had already trashed, but otherwise there wasn't much else damaged.

They lost power again last night, and FPL had already warned them that it could be 3-4 weeks before power is back again, since they have so many people already up in the panhandle after Ivan rolled through.

I sure hope that this is the last one!

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 02:45 PM

My neighborhood in Delray Beach just got power, phone, and cable back.

Much nastier here than Frances was - I can only imagine what it's like in north Palm Beach county places above. Luckily all the previous storm's debris had been cleared out and the trees were already quite "trimmed". The real scary part got out of my area by about 3 am without taking my patio screen or any roof tiles. I have a minor roof leak, but it's manageable.

Hope all you north of me are OK.

Cody Dawg  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 26, 2004, 06:56 PM

Was posting a message, long one, when the generator stopped and my computer shut down, darn!

But, we're back online via generator. No power and the plywood ripped off of windows and a lot of flooding. Much worse than Frances.

We caught the bottom of the eye here in Jupiter Inlet, but about 20 minutes north was Stuart and just north of that is Port St. Lucie and they got it worse. We all got our *sses kicked. I haven't been to sleep for two days. It's hot as heck and humid and there are snakes everywhere.

The good thing is that people are pulling together to help each other out. If someone reads this and needs some help around here then PM me. I'll check my box. Gotta help my neighbor shovel mud out of his house so over and out and will post pics when I get back online sometime.

Everyone stay safe and if you're in the path of Jeanne, GET OUT.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 26, 2004, 10:09 PM

Was posting a message, long one, when the generator stopped and my computer shut down, darn!

But, we're back online via generator. No power and the plywood ripped off of windows and a lot of flooding. Much worse than Frances.

We caught the bottom of the eye here in Jupiter Inlet, but about 20 minutes north was Stuart and just north of that is Port St. Lucie and they got it worse. We all got our *sses kicked. I haven't been to sleep for two days. It's hot as heck and humid and there are snakes everywhere.

The good thing is that people are pulling together to help each other out. If someone reads this and needs some help around here then PM me. I'll check my box. Gotta help my neighbor shovel mud out of his house so over and out and will post pics when I get back online sometime.

Everyone stay safe and if you're in the path of Jeanne, GET OUT.

glad you're okay, even if a bit torn and tattered. I lived on Hutchinson Island for about a year, but that was many moons ago. And am I correct in assuming that, in at least that area, it's rather seasonal? and that a lot of people weren't on the island? either way, stuart/ft pierce etc got their teeth knocked out. again.

that sucks, but we live to see another day.

good luck
ice

Forum Links
Forum Rules