Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ok, how to solve the hinge problem?

Ok, how to solve the hinge problem?
Vax
Jan 19, 2002, 12:59 PM

Yes, hello, how to solve the hinge problem on the dual usb iBooks?
I have no scruple to open the ibook or something else.
Any hints out there?

Greetings Vax
--:: Insanity is also a state of mind ::--

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2002, 01:15 PM

Perhaps you could be more specific. What probem are you having with the hinge? To my knowlege, there haven't been any complaints concerning this...then again I've been away from the forums for a little while.
iGeek

phantomdragonz
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2002, 01:49 AM

uhh, THE HINGE PROBLEM!. i have heard of many ways. but the only solution was to send it to apple. you can give it small fixes but i doubt it will actually work for the long term.

I have a 600Mhz icebook and i just forced myself to use mac osx on it and it takes some getting used to but it rocks!

P.D.

P.S. i'm using omni web right now and i just noticed that it has a spell checking function, ahhh the innovation.

Milo Waye
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 20, 2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Vax:
<STRONG>Yes, hello, how to solve the hinge problem on the dual usb iBooks? I have no scruple to open the ibook or something else.
Any hints out there?

Greetings Vax</STRONG>
Vax,
Don't know to what you refer. No problem here in either version o DUSB iBook

funkboy
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2002, 02:49 PM

Are we talking of the squeaky hinges on iBooks? I don't think that's much of a "problem" more than an annoyance. I find that opening it pretty quickly from the closed position keeps the hinge silent.

Someone mentioned one time that the wiring of their laptop got injured with a creaking hinge, but that was not with an iBook, some crappy Wintel thing.

AIOg3guy
Jan 20, 2002, 02:53 PM

COME ON PEOPLE!

Have you been reading these forums? OK, for those who don't know: Some dual-USB iBooks have hinges that seem to 'tighten down' over time. This behavior can occur in both new and old iceBooks, and usually starts after a few months of use.

Basically, when you open and close the screen fast, there is no sound and everything is smooth, however, if you want to push the screen back just a little bit, the hinge catches and there is a loud "CRACK" sound from the hinge. Nothing is harmed, however, the frame around the screen bulged and bends.

Apple has only been fixing some of the iceBooks people send in with this problem. Some are returned with the same problem, others are fixed. From what I hear, fixing this is a major task because the whole hinge mechanism must be replaced.

I do have the hinge issue on my iBook, but it isn't very bad yet. I will probably send mine in to get this fixed before my AppleCare runs out. I hear that if you tell the support people that the screen is "buckling" you have a better chance at them fixing it.

-Aiog3guy

Vax  (op)
Jan 22, 2002, 09:28 AM

OK, no solutions out there to do it the "self made man" way?

Vax
--:: Insanity is also a state of mind ::--

pkjackson
Jan 22, 2002, 10:47 AM

A drop of oil on each side of the hinge worked wonders for my iBook!!!!

Before the oil treatment, I had to use two hands to pry the thing open.

Better then new now!!! very smooth....I can open it with one hand now.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: pkjackson ]

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by pkjackson:
<STRONG>A drop of oil on each side of the hinge worked wonders for my iBook!!!!

Before the oil treatment, I had to use two hands to pry the thing open.

Better then new now!!! very smooth....I can open it with one hand now.
</STRONG>
Great idea. You know that their are lots of electronics in there. Not to mention that your lid might have a hard time staying open as it is so greased up. Sure it might be fine now.... but give it a while.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2002, 03:04 PM

Well, at least it's acceptable now. IT would be THAT bad if oil was applied only when the laptop lid was acceptable in the first place.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

pkjackson
Jan 22, 2002, 05:15 PM

I have used the oil trick once....and that was over 6 months ago.

My iBook is still in better shape now than when I took it out of the box!

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jan 24, 2002, 11:01 PM

The hinge issue is a potential hazard. Someone on Apple's discussions stated that the LCD cracked trying to reposition it.

I just use one swift motion to open it. No oil or anything.

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 01:50 PM

Using the little red tube/nozzle, I "squirted" a single shot of WD-40 to the hinge. That is, I opened the display, and shot the shortest possible "squirt" to the joint betwen the hinge on the display and the base. Just a little overspray on the bottom of the display frame ... none on the lcd. Voila, no more squank!

All the best ... Bill
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

Ibson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2002, 09:14 PM

My iBook suffers from the squeaky-hinge problem, but I wouldn't consider putting oil on--I'm too paranoid about it getting into the case. I just open it with a single swift motion, although sometimes it can be rather embarrassing on planes or other public places. I just put up with it.

datoni
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2002, 02:54 AM

My iBook suffers from the squeaky-hinge problem too. Reading about it, it gives me the idea whe are all having the same problem.

What bothers me more is this:
the crack (between screen and computer)on the back-side (when ibook is clossed) is bigger where the hinge is then on the left and right side?! Do you people have the same problem? Was it there from the day it bought it?!
If not........this makes me worry!
thanx for anny replies

Biba lekker no?!

maxphunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 6, 2002, 05:28 AM

Don't use WD-40. It is a corrosive and not a lubricant. Use 3-in-1 oil or bike chain oil instead.

Originally posted by mainemanx:
<STRONG>Using the little red tube/nozzle, I "squirted" a single shot of WD-40 to the hinge. That is, I opened the display, and shot the shortest possible "squirt" to the joint betwen the hinge on the display and the base. Just a little overspray on the bottom of the display frame ... none on the lcd. Voila, no more squank!

All the best ... Bill</STRONG>

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by datoni:
<STRONG>My iBook suffers from the squeaky-hinge problem too. Reading about it, it gives me the idea whe are all having the same problem.

What bothers me more is this:
the crack (between screen and computer)on the back-side (when ibook is clossed) is bigger where the hinge is then on the left and right side?! Do you people have the same problem? Was it there from the day it bought it?!
If not........this makes me worry!
thanx for anny replies

</STRONG>
i have a similar anomoly as well.

as a synthetic chemist i wouldn't put oil on my ibook, as their is the potential that it will dissolve the plastic. WD-40 would be one, "I" wouldn't use either.

YMMV.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2002, 05:55 AM

Originally posted by mainemanx:
<STRONG>Using the little red tube/nozzle, I "squirted" a single shot of WD-40 to the hinge. That is, I opened the display, and shot the shortest possible "squirt" to the joint betwen the hinge on the display and the base. Just a little overspray on the bottom of the display frame ... none on the lcd. Voila, no more squank!

All the best ... Bill</STRONG>
I'm not a chemist but...

Just so you're aware, WD40 is a not really a lubricant. I use it to REMOVE grease from my bicycle. WD40 on bikes without a good lube afterwards is a great way to wreck your equipment.

Just a warning.

I'd be inclined not to use oil either but at least it PROBABLY wouldn't short out anything acutely. It could gum up some parts quite nicely I'm sure though.

Scooterboy
Senior User
Feb 6, 2002, 08:01 AM

I noticed that when repositioning the screen by pushing it back it can bind somewhat until it starts moving, usually with a pop or a cracking sound. It never does this when I pull the screen towards me, or when closing the iBook. I now always gently pull the screen toward me before pushing it back, and it is much, much smoother when moved this way. Also, I noticed that it is better to hold the top of the screen frame at the center, as opposed one side or the other.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2002, 12:06 PM

Originally posted by Scooterboy:
<STRONG>I noticed that when repositioning the screen by pushing it back it can bind somewhat until it starts moving, usually with a pop or a cracking sound. It never does this when I pull the screen towards me, or when closing the iBook. I now always gently pull the screen toward me before pushing it back, and it is much, much smoother when moved this way. Also, I noticed that it is better to hold the top of the screen frame at the center, as opposed one side or the other.</STRONG>
ditto to everything above. that is EXACTLY what i do. to push the screen back without cracking it helps to pull it forward 6-8" first.

either way though my screen pulls away from the frame a little in the lower right hand corner.

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2002, 04:26 PM

I sent mine back to Apple yesterday to have the stiff hinge and the sagging trackpad button fixed. In my opinion, both are unacceptable defects for a $1500 computer that's 3 months old. I didn't have AppleCare and they took it back with no questions asked. I should have it back early next week.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2002, 04:43 PM

I've just noticed a "cracking" sound when I move the screen of my iBook. But It's coming from the frame of the 'book (the base of the unit), not the hinge itself.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

yongfook
Forum Regular
Feb 6, 2002, 11:00 PM

hi there, like many others with an icebook, Ive got the same hinge problem. It really is the thorn on the rose - everything else about the computer is perfect.

Anyway, somewhere else on this BBS, a guy recommended using 'Pedros Ice Wax', which is a sort of waxy lubricant used for bike chains. I was wary of using other oils or WD40, so I thought this was the best way to go.

Found some at my friendly local cycle shop the other day, and I applied a little to the hinge. So far, its worked very nicely. If I open my lid smoothly theres no creaking. Disappointingly, it still creaks if I try to 'nudge' the display, you know, adjust it slightly.

ho hum.
http://www.yongfook.com

flatcatch
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by Technicolor:
<STRONG>I sent mine back to Apple yesterday to have the stiff hinge and the sagging trackpad button fixed. In my opinion, both are unacceptable defects for a $1500 computer that's 3 months old. I didn't have AppleCare and they took it back with no questions asked. I should have it back early next week.

</STRONG>
I absolutely agree - and I sent mine is as well (also had an optical drive problem so getting a 2 for 1). I have a 600/Combo that is about 3 months old as well. Damn straight Apple is going to fix it for me. When I first called and spoke to the support dude I said "listen to this" and held the phone up to the hinge for a nice series of pops as I adjusted it (to prove my point). His response, "Sir, please stop doing that - I'm afraid something will break!" LOL. No kidding.

Keep the rubber side down!

nick h
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 03:16 PM

Slap some KY Jelly on that iBook's hinge!
Roam: iBook (Dual USB) ~ 600Mhz, 384MB, 15GB, DVD, 12.1", OS X

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2002, 12:23 AM

I have the creaky hinge on my iBook too. It's not a big deal right now. I just got it in December, and it did this right out of the box. If it proves to be a real problem, I still have quite a few months before i have to worry about my warranty, and I'd hate to be without my iBook in the interim.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

jtc
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2002, 12:59 AM

For those who have the problem with the hinge making a "snapping" sound...mine used to do this when I opened it more than about 90 deg., I didn't want to send it in again, so I figured I'd live with it, but a few weeks ago it stopped doing it. Hasn't happened since. There's no question that it's annoying, but maybe some just need to break-in.

mavapa
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2002, 03:55 AM

The warnings about WD-40 are right. It's function is not to lubricate, and it will not do so over a long period. I don't have the hinge problem, but if I did, I might consider using a small amount of a silicone-based lubricant.

Forum Links
Forum Rules