Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Imageready and Illustrator

Imageready and Illustrator
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 7, 2006, 05:29 PM

I just borrowed Adobe CS2 from my brother, I know how to use most of the apps except for Imageready and Illustrator. What is the difference between them? I want to design some logos for my new site and dunno which one to use.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Westbo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 8, 2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Velocity211
I just borrowed Adobe CS2 from my brother, I know how to use most of the apps except for Imageready and Illustrator. What is the difference between them? I want to design some logos for my new site and dunno which one to use.

Illustrator is a vector based rendering program. ImageReady is primarily used to format and optimize graphics and images for the web. Rasterized images are usually imported into ImageReady from Photoshop.

Illustrator is commonly used for logo designing. The art is infinitely scalable.The designs can be exported from Illustrator to Photoshop in a variety of formats and resolutions. From Photoshop, the logos can then be transferred into ImageReady, converted into GIF or JPG and optimized. Although Photoshop offers a great variety of effects and rendering techniques, designs are rasterized which will limit their resizing capablilites.

If you decide to use Photoshop, make the original designs at least 200% larger than the largest usage size you anticipate. I recommend the resolution be MINIMALLY 300dpi. Sizes and dpis can later be reduced not enlarged.

If your design is primarily for the web, use RGB colors that are "web safe". Both Illustrator and Photoshop have web safe color palletes. Many CMYK and Pantone colors DO NOT translate to the web. Many RGB colors do not translate to CMYK as well.

drmcnutt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 9, 2006, 01:38 AM

For logo building stick with Illustrator. Imageready is for web oriented work like animations and optimization of web images. If you have a clean logo Illustrator will do wonders for you once you pass the learning curve.
DRM

---------------------------------
Gigabit Ethernet G4 OWC mercury upgrade 1.33
15" Powerbook G4 1.5GB/80GB/SuperDrive

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2006, 05:45 PM

the only useful one is illustrator.

Thorzdad
Jun 12, 2006, 02:25 PM

Imageready is handy for optimizing art for the web. It allows you to play with different parameters in order to get a good balance between file size and image quality. The "Save for Web" function in both Photoshop and Illustrator use ImageReady.

Forum Links
Forum Rules