Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Revision A or B of Power Mac G3 B&W

Revision A or B of Power Mac G3 B&W
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 09:54 AM

I just read the wikipedia page for the B&W Power Mac G3. At the bottom, it says that there were 2 revisions of it, I have the 350MHz one and was wondering how to tell the difference between the revisions. I think I have the A revision because I have the hard drive bay with the 3 drives side by side. On the wiki page, it says that the A revision had problems with 2 drives at once. Is this why I can only boot into OS X on a Master drive and can't boot OS9 on a Slave drive?
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

discotronic
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2006, 04:04 PM

The HD controller on the first run logicboard could only take 1 hard drive and had problems with data corruption on larger hard drives.

You have a newer version since you can use more than 1 drive at a time.

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 14, 2006, 07:13 PM

According to xlr8yourmac.com, I have the 1st revision logic board. I'm guess thats why I can't boot into OS9 on the 20GB drive. My hard drives are current in a Concatenation RAID config with OSX on them. I don't get why this is reliable and having OS9/OSX on two drives isn't.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 15, 2006, 08:46 PM

No, even the Rev A was capable of supporting slave drives. It just required a replacement drive data cable with three connectors, and of course has the problem of being incompatible with essentially every hard drive released after the machine was sold.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules