Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > PPC Mini to network file server?

PPC Mini to network file server?
Salty
Professional Poster
Oct 15, 2011, 10:42 PM

Hey all, I just got a new router which is crazy fast compared to what I used to have, I was looking into using an external HDD as something like a WiFi Time Machine backup but that it looks like it's USB port only supports Windows. (rethinking buying this thing off a friend who was strapped for cash, at least the reception's good)

I've got my mother's old Mini though which I could connect several HDDs to and run as a file server. That said I don't want OS X to always expect me to manually log into them, I'd rather just have them mount when I'm within WiFi and go away just as easily. Granted I haven't played with that sort of thing in a while, but can OS X be set up to do this easily, or can anyone think of a good 3rd party utility? I'm running Lion on my MacBook Pro, the Mini would be stuck at Leopard for PPC. (1.25Ghz machine)

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Oct 15, 2011, 11:05 PM

If you can get a copy of Leopard server, you can set up the drives as share points and enable auto-mounting.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2011, 11:20 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "log into them". What is "them"?

My Time Machine setup works as you describe. The Time Machine server is not running OS X, but that shouldn't prevent you from doing what you want to do.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 16, 2011, 07:58 AM

Mount the network drives using connect to server from the go menu. Once mounted, go to system prefs, users, login items for your user. Click the + button and navigate to the network share and choose it.

You will get the odd message about not being able to connect, or about being disconnected but this can't really be helped. You can also drag the shares to your dock for quick mounting in case you sleep your Mac, then disconnect, then come home without log gin back in.

Its not ideal but probably as good as you'll get without a server. Not sure Time Machine will work without a server, but it might.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Salty  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 16, 2011, 10:08 PM

I think I'm gonna install server.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Mount the network drives using connect to server from the go menu. Once mounted, go to system prefs, users, login items for your user. Click the + button and navigate to the network share and choose it.

You will get the odd message about not being able to connect, or about being disconnected but this can't really be helped. You can also drag the shares to your dock for quick mounting in case you sleep your Mac, then disconnect, then come home without log gin back in.

Its not ideal but probably as good as you'll get without a server. Not sure Time Machine will work without a server, but it might.

Funny that it works this way with Netatalk (a non Apple AFP implementation) but not OS X Client...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 17, 2011, 04:40 AM

Netatalk is designed for a server, albeit for home use as often as not, OS X Client isn't. Perhaps there is an option that can be tweaked somewhere in an AFP plist but I'm not aware of it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules