Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Graphics processor temperature sensor broken?

Graphics processor temperature sensor broken?
Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 11, 2006, 07:01 PM

I recently noticed that the temperature sensor for the graphics processor is reading 212 degrees Farenheit and stays around 200-212 all the time. Should I be worried or is something just wrong with the sensor?

iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

lars-man
Jul 12, 2006, 03:10 AM

I experienced the same problem, therefore I wrote an email to Marcel Bresink, the developer of "Hardware Monitor". In his first reply, he said that the temperature sensor of the GPU does not always respond correctly.

But some weeks later I got another email from him. He said that he was able to examine the problem in a little bit more detail, since the Mac OS X 10.4.5 update offered some new capabilities that allowed him to have a closer look at this problem. In the end he found out that this sensor is not measuring the temperature but the load that is on the GPU. He also mentioned, that version 3.3 of Hardware Monitor (version 1.4 of the widget) should resolve this problem.

By the way: did you ever hear the GPU fan in your PowerBook? If mine gets hot, I just can hear the CPU fan spinning (the left one) but never the right one... I'm having a PowerBook G4 1,67GHz with the 1440x960 display, too.

Kind regards, Lars

EDIT: I just installed version 3.7 of Hardware Monitor. It doesn't even show the GPU sensor anymore...
( Last edited by lars-man; Jul 12, 2006 at 09:56 AM. )

Velocity211  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 12, 2006, 02:05 PM

The thing is, my left CPU fan broke, a while ago it started making strange noises like it was having trouble spinning. But now it doesn't come on at all, even if the CPU is on heavy load. I'm still waiting for ifixit.com to get some in stock. Anyway, thanks for the response, I have version 3.2, I'll download the new version.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Forum Links
Forum Rules