Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Will you buy a Rev. A Apple iPhone?

View Poll Results: Will you buy Rev. A of the Apple iPhone?
Poll Options:
Yes 34 votes (32.69%)
No 48 votes (46.15%)
Undecided 22 votes (21.15%)
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll
Will you buy a Rev. A Apple iPhone? (Page 2)
slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2007, 06:11 PM

I don't think I can justify it at the current price. I've got a 2-line T-Mobile plan, with the contract ending in August and one line eligible for an upgrade. I guess I need to decide whether to extend my contract into '08 by finding a replacement for my SE k750i, or whether to let it run out and be commitment-free. But either way, I'm not about to switch to Cingular anytime soon.

There's obviously a lot to drool over w/r/t the iPhone, but a phone that costly really ought to be open to 3rd party apps.

Either way, knowing I won't be using an Apple phone this year might finally make me buy a HDD-based iPod.

dreamryche
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2007, 03:01 AM

I want one, but I can't justify the expense when I have no need for a smartphone. If Apple was to make a phone with a feature set (and price) more in line with the majority of phones, I'd grab that in a heartbeat.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 13, 2007, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by dreamryche View Post
I want one, but I can't justify the expense when I have no need for a smartphone. If Apple was to make a phone with a feature set (and price) more in line with the majority of phones, I'd grab that in a heartbeat.
I'm sure that 3-4 years from now, Apple iPhones will be quite affordable.

Just look at the iPod, how it started out for a high price and little features, to where it's at now. Can't wait for the iPhone in 2010.

-t

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jan 13, 2007, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Just look at the iPod, how it started out for a high price and little features, to where it's at now. Can't wait for the iPhone in 2010.
Exactly. I'm bursting with anticipation.

I realize that this is a breakthrough device which will take cell phones to the next level, but I also realize that I'll be seeing a lot of people have one before I do, because I can't afford or justify it. So basically this MacWorld was an introduction to the future oif cell phones for me, but not about anything that I'll actually have anytime soon, which is why I think it was disappointing to some people.

I'm not disappointed. So far as we get some significant Macintosh updates this year, it's immaterial if they were announced at MacWorld or not. But as far as the immediate future is concerned, I'm looking forward to those updates more than the iPhone affair.

Jan Van Boghout
Jan 13, 2007, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
Nope. Too expensive. The VAT and the Apple-Europe Tax™ will jack up that price even more. Plus subsidized phones are illegal in Belgium so that won't help either.
I've been thinking about that. Since Apple seems to be hell-bent on working with exclusive carriers (probably to force network changes, maybe because exclusivity sells), it may just decide to stay out of Belgium for a while. That would suck

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Jan 13, 2007, 07:11 AM

That wouldn't surprise me. Altough I guess they're just going to sell it anyway even if that means no visual voicemail for us.

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

tae667
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2007, 09:27 AM

I have unlimited 3G(UMTS) dataplan for 10€/month so no I won't buy it until it has 3G. Hopyfully that'd happen concurrently with european launch of the iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules