Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Interesting Mail "Feature"(?)

Interesting Mail "Feature"(?)
::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2007, 09:20 PM

Forgive me if this was posted before, or if this is something that doesn't deserve to be posted, or wrong forum (Mail comes with OS X?) but...

So I was clickin around in Mail.app today and I happened to Shift+Click on the little triangle to the left of a group of emails, the one that collapses and expands the group. Much like the way Shift+Clicking the minimize button on Finder windows puts the genie action in slo-mo, the collapsing mails go in slo-mo as well.

Feature? Don't know, but its something i didn't really expect to be in Mail.app, so I thought I'd post it here.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Aug 25, 2007, 09:25 PM

Eh? What triangle? Screenshot?
Signature depreciated.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 25, 2007, 09:36 PM

View -> Organize by thread

::maroma::  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 01:25 AM

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that its something you have to turn on in Mail.

Max_Doubt_M'Wham
Aug 26, 2007, 03:42 AM

Cool feature, didn't even ever look in the View menu ... don't really know if it's a useful feature just yet .... but I'll have a play around with it for a few weeks first.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2007, 09:21 AM

Pretty cool. Seems to be an easter egg like the others. This is the first time I have used the Organize By Thread view, so thank you for telling me about it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2007, 04:25 PM

threads is a super useful feature -- should be on by default
we don't have time to stop for gas

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2007, 06:40 PM

Have all my mailboxes, apart from Inbox set to use thread view. It's a great way to organise mail.

Transport 998
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 29, 2007, 12:40 PM

Now forgive me for adding if it's a dumb question but......why can I only send mail from 'mail' at home? If I goto work or a friends it won't send. The second I open the computer back at home. Done?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2007, 12:43 PM

You can only send mail from 'mail' at home because your outgoing mail server configuration is wrong for your friends place or for your office.

The SMTP server information (which is how the mail is sent) needs to be changed for each location. Generally you can't send mail from an SMTP server if you're outside its network. This restriction exists for SPAM reasons. If you have a .Mac account and set up the mail server with username/password you can probably send from most places -- though again some networks block *any* outbound connections to foreign SMTP servers.

It's a bit complicated, and not possible to exhaustively describe in a response here. But that's the crux of the issue.

Forum Links
Forum Rules