Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Need for Mac Pro rentals?

Need for Mac Pro rentals?
chipchen
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2008, 05:32 PM

Just curious... is there a need or a market for Mac Pro (or general Mac) rentals? I realize I've got a few too many Macs, and maybe I should look into renting them out...?

For instance, since I'm based in LA, if someone needs a Mac Pro with Final Cut Studio 2, 8 GB of RAM, 2.0 Terabytes of hard drive space... I figure $500 a week or $100 a day? Would that be too much or too little?

I've also got MacBook Pro's, PowerBooks, Mac mini's, etc....

Professional Poster
Mar 17, 2008, 07:29 PM

You would need to build a good security system to ensure that the renters wouldnt steal them.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2008, 07:39 PM

And I think there are companies that already do it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2008, 07:45 PM

Yea.. I know there's plenty of companies that already do it. (I definitely don't think I'm the first to think about computer rentals) But there could be a big enough market to undercut some of the costs other companies charge.

As for security... basically... draw up legal rental contracts, photocopy driver's license, credit card authorization slip signed, etc etc... the usual stuff... and/or take collateral.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 17, 2008, 08:04 PM

I think it's possible, then, if you're motivated to do it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2008, 08:27 PM

I could have used that Mac Pro a month ago...
I think it's a pretty good idea. I would insure them though.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 17, 2008, 09:35 PM

Ahh.. there's a good idea... yea.. insuring them would be good.

Anyone know how much rentals generally cost?

TravisReynolds
Mar 18, 2008, 12:48 AM

why would somebody want to rent a computer? I'm just curious
From the one, and Only Travis Reynolds. You stay classy San Diego

StrongBad
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2008, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
Say I'm a design firm or some other company with a handful of employees. It's not uncommon to bring in temp workers or freelancers for a month or two to knock out a big project. Why buy when you can rent?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 10:40 AM

I would think you'd need a larger inventory of computers to start a business like that.

How many MacPros with 2 terabytes do you own? What happens if you rented the MacPro for the week, and something failed on it. Would you be able to replace it, what would be the expected turn around time of said replacement?

Also do you have sufficient legal licenses. If you rent out your Mac Pro and want to rent out the MacBook Pro with the same software.

Frankeinstein
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2008, 10:45 AM

generally speaking if you had a lab of them..maybe, but idk 100$ a day doesnt sound to bad at all ~ but maybe flex the price abit
Depending on their usage i mean if theyre using it for 2~3 weeks 1500$ could be put towards their own machine granted, but i guess its a case by case scenario

its a decent idea and ALOT of Apple Authorized centers do that for testing software, hardware or productivity. id think looking into local Apple Authorized centers in your area to get a feel for what they charge, and sort of go around that, but since theyre apple authorized and have theirbusiness already - it might be a name/place people would be willing to spend the premium on.

goodluck.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 01:12 PM

Lots of people need rentals from time to time,.. just like cars. Short projects, travel, when their computer breaks down, to try Macs before they leave Windows, try the power of a more powerful setup, trade show, demos, etc...

I've got only one Mac Pro for now (several laptops, etc though).. that might be an issue. But the first car rental place probably only had one car. Not to say that's a good plan... but things happen. And if that's in the contract, that they understand there's a possibility of a failure and the possibility there is no replacement machine. Sometimes car rental places run out of SUVs... and if one breaks down... it happens.

As for licenses, I would have to make sure I only have legal installations on the machines.

And as for pricing, I would have to do some research... But I was thinking... a Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 2-23" Apple Cinema Displays, Final Cut Studio 2.0. That setup would run about $100 a day or $500 a week. A MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM and decent HD and MS Office might run $40 a day, $180 a week. Something like that...

I'm an Apple Certified Desktop and Laptop Technician, and have been toying around the possibility of opening a shop... so this could be one aspect of it. I would probably offer 25 - 30% discount on rental if repairs are done with us too.... just brainstorming a bit...

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by chipchen View Post
I've got only one Mac Pro for now (several laptops, etc though).. that might be an issue. But the first car rental place probably only had one car. Not to say that's a good plan... but things happen. And if that's in the contract, that they understand there's a possibility of a failure and the possibility there is no replacement machine. Sometimes car rental places run out of SUVs... and if one breaks down... it happens.
You made a huge assumption that car rental companies started off with a single car and I think your incorrect with that assumption. Also when car rental places run out of inventory, they tell you before you rent one. I've not heard of any rental company failing to provide a replacement if the car did in fact break down. Most people want a company to provide a replacement when things do happen.

I'd rather pay a little more $$ to a company that I know that will have a backup computer since I'm renting one for a specific and immediate need. People rent computers for short term needs, say a project or a temp employe. They generally do like to hear the excuse "things happen" and you have no replacement.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2008, 03:20 PM

I'm an Apple Certified Desktop and Laptop Technician, and have been toying around the possibility of opening a shop... so this could be one aspect of it. I would probably offer 25 - 30% discount on rental if repairs are done with us too.... just brainstorming a bit...
I didn't want to sound overly critical or anything in my prior posts but I did want to convey that having a single desktop or laptop carries with it a high degree of risks and costs. As a new business you really need to rely on word of mouth and exceptional customer service. If you stumble out of the gate because you did not account for or considered replacements, your potential customers will be upset which will make your job of starting a business that much harder.

I think what is a great idea is a replacement computer. They rent a replacement computer from your while you upgrade/repair their personal computer. This has stopped me from sending into apple once because I could not live w/o it.

Faust
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2008, 03:46 PM

Lots of people need rentals from time to time,.. just like cars. Short projects, travel, when their computer breaks down, to try Macs before they leave Windows, try the power of a more powerful setup, trade show, demos, etc...

As for licenses, I would have to make sure I only have legal installations on the machines.

And as for pricing, I would have to do some research... But I was thinking... a Mac Pro 8-core 2.8GHz, 2TB HD, 8GB RAM, 2-23" Apple Cinema Displays, Final Cut Studio 2.0. That setup would run about $100 a day or $500 a week. A MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM and decent HD and MS Office might run $40 a day, $180 a week. Something like that...

I don't think it's a good idea to rent a Mac Pro if you've only got one of them. If something goes wrong for the person who rented it, he'd need immediate replacement.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Mar 18, 2008, 04:50 PM

Something else to ponder. Liability. What happens if you rent out a mac pro, the person who rented it puts all there information on the pro to do whatever, it fries taking all there files with it and no backup because they were to dumb about using original data. Who is liable? Might want to put a disclaimer in the contract. Just a thought.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

chipchen  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
You made a huge assumption that car rental companies started off with a single car and I think your incorrect with that assumption. Also when car rental places run out of inventory, they tell you before you rent one. I've not heard of any rental company failing to provide a replacement if the car did in fact break down. Most people want a company to provide a replacement when things do happen.

I'd rather pay a little more $$ to a company that I know that will have a backup computer since I'm renting one for a specific and immediate need. People rent computers for short term needs, say a project or a temp employe. They generally do like to hear the excuse "things happen" and you have no replacement.
MacosNerd, I never said Enterprise or AVIS started with just one car... I'm saying... I'm willing to wager a dollar that historically, someone way down the line bought a Model-T, just one, and possibly rented it out when it wasn't being used. The whole point of what I'm saying is... maybe I can start small. Don't need to offer all the benefits of the big guys... but if I know what what I'm doing and can build a clientele around trust... I can start small and expand when I need to.

Sure, some people are always willing to pay a bit more for the security and the possibilities... I'm not shooting for them. I'm thinking of the market that would rather take the risk and spend less. You know, buy generic instead of brand name, go without health insurance, get only minimal auto insurance, buy concert tickets from craigslist... etc. Lots of people go to Enterprise and AVIS, but there's also people who go to Rent-A-Wreck. Not saying that's what I wanna be, but there's a market for those people I think.

About liability... any good contract limits liability. Basically something like, "while every effort will be made to be sure your data and equipment are safe, the company cannot be liable for the safety of the data or equipment in situations out of it's control. Please understand that we always recommend having a backup of your data and that mechanical malfunctions can happen.... blah blah blah" And I'll have them initial that. You'll see something similar on every Apple service form, other service providers, Best Buy Geek Squad, Circuit City Firedog, etc, etc...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
And I think there are companies that already do it.
Google is your friend. Search for "Mac rentals"...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 01:07 AM

Mid-1980's there was a firm called "Frogs" or something like that renting Macs in the SF Bay Area. Very useful.

-Allen Wicks

hbone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TravisReynolds View Post
If you are on a photo shoot, it's easier to rent (camera, monitors, Macs) than to pack all that gear on a plane.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 07:07 PM

Your machine fails and needs to be sent away for repair at the same time a deadline is due? You hire a temp assistant for a big job, and want a computer for them? You have a huge amount of rendering to do that is not a normal part of your workflow?

Forum Links
Forum Rules