Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > finder quits

finder quits
iccsd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 31, 2001, 06:51 PM

We are running OS9.0.4 on Imacs in labs. We comtinuesly get the message finder has quit. It seems to happen at random times but when quiting word 98, running netscape. One thing I suspect is our network becouse netscape and word people sare logged into the novell system. We use a standard image we made. This also happens direct from a restore of apples software.

rhino_g3
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 3, 2001, 03:35 PM

I had a problem with finder quiting at startup. I ran Norton utilities Disk Doctor and did other routine maintenance like rebuilding desktop and it corrected the problem. Before doing these things, which should be done once a month anyway, try trashing your finder preferences then do a restart. A new finder preference file will be rebuilt at startup.

zoopsia215
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2001, 04:18 PM

I booted off of my second HD and used File Buddy to change the creator type of the finder from FNDR to APPL. I then changed the memory setting from 917k to 1200k. I changed the finder type to FNDR from APPL and rebooted. Since then, I have had very rare finder crashes.

This has also been posted here before, but I just too lazy to look for it.

iccsd  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 7, 2001, 12:34 PM

What we are looking for is information on why the finder quits. Can networking cause the problem, can office 98 cause the problem with the patches run on it, or is the finder just that unstable. We have it in 3 schools using the same image that has been modifies for that school.

ibookguy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 5, 2001, 03:44 PM

We have had 4 of our Mac workstations act like this in the last 2 weeks. I am starting to think this may be a virus situation. At first, we just trash the Finder Preferences, but usually end up booting from the CD and re-installing the core of the OS before it really gets back to being stable. Is anyone else thinking this may be a virus? Seems to be a lot of it going around lately.

Michael
Michael

Costique
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2001, 06:27 AM

If you are specifically interested why Finder quits, there are a number of possible causes. First of all, there may be problems with a file system on one of connected disks. Second, lack of memory left to Finder. Third, some extensions or control panels which interfere with Finder functionality - they may have bugs in memory management. Fourth, corrupted MacOS of Finder preferences. Fifth, network activity leading to errors which Finder doesn't recognize as errors. This list can be continued.

If you want to take measures, disconnect external devices, run NDD, an antivirus, use zoopsia215's trick to increase Finder's memory partition, boot without extensions, move some fonts out of System Folder, turn off AppleTalk, trash Finder prefs - in short, experiment with your configuration. If nothing helps, clean-install the system. It that doesn't help either, test your RAM, reformat the start-up drive and pray. If NOTHING works, go to www.apple.com and try kicking AppleCare staff.

Anyway, for 8 years of using various macs I have seen problems, but I've never encountered a no-way-out situation.

------------------
Make no assumptions
Make no assumptions

Forum Links
Forum Rules