Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Replace existing preference pane?

Replace existing preference pane?
jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 12:26 PM

Whenever I access a preference pane through any method other than opening System Preferences and clicking on the desired pane, I get an error message saying, "The preference pane you are installing is already installed. Do you want to replace the existing preference pane?"

This happens when, for instance, I click on a guiKit to install a new theme or use Launchbar to access a preference pane directly.

I'm not trying to install a new preference pane, just access a currently installed one.

How do I prevent this error?

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 05:02 PM

Thats the way it works. You really have to open system prefs from the app as far as I know.
David.

jerseyfreeze  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by DavidHossack:
Thats the way it works. You really have to open system prefs from the app as far as I know.
It's not the way it works on my home computer, a PowerBook G4. When I doubleclick a guiKit file, System Prefs launches and immediately pulls up the ShapeShifter preference pane. I get no error messages.

On my work machine, a G4 PowerMac, doubleclicking the same guiKit opens System Prefs but then gives me the error I described in the first post.

poocat
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 08:37 PM

That's true for me too. Also i can LaunchBar any individual preference pane. I don't know what you've done but i'd try repairing permissions or turning off ape for a while and seeing what happens. Also just log out/in or reset the pram... all very generic fixes, but i don't have any more specific advice.

pc.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

DavidHossack
Forum Regular
Oct 19, 2004, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by DavidHossack:
stupid reply really... I see how it works

I never really try opening them after the first time.
David.

Forum Links
Forum Rules