Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > ShapeShifter 2.0 + iTunes 4.7

ShapeShifter 2.0 + iTunes 4.7
smeger
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 03:08 PM

Well, gotta have at least one bug in every release...

If you've installed the new iTunes 4.7, you'll find that many of your apps have reverted to Aqua. Here's the fix:
[list=1][*]Launch Terminal. It's located in /Applications/Utilities[*]Enter the following command:
defaults delete com.unsanity.shapeshifter CustomSettings[/list=1]

Guess I've got something to do for 2.0.1 now.

Sorry for the inconvenience. I was scared when I heard that we were releasing on the same day as an Apple Music Event...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 04:17 PM

Awesome! I want to congratulate you, Jason, and all of the dudes (and dudettes) at Unsanity for making such an amazing product. Truly the best software I have, after Photoshop of course.

One question, will ThemePark be updated soon? I think I remember someone (might have been you) saying it will be one day later than SS 2. Is that right? and will it also be jumped to 2.0 of will it be 1.4?

No rush, I can wait and you deserve a break after making such awesome software. I'm just curious. I can't wait to try out the transparency in the menubar. (I knew it was coming )

Originally posted by MacMan4000:
Anyone want to make bets on new/improved features? I'v got 5 bucks on transparency in the menubar. Any takers?
everyone here owes me 5 bucks!

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 05:00 PM

ok, Smeger just told me TP should be out by tomorrow.

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 05:55 PM

Restart worked for me.

kwyjiboy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 26, 2004, 07:39 PM

I love SS 2.0. Thank you for... well. I can't cover the scope of Unsanity's contribution to theming. You pulled off the finder background colours, even though everyone said it was impossible.
Septuple post! Quadruple word score!

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 11:14 AM

I'm not quite sure judging by this post - but I take it that Shapeshifter 2 will not theme iTunes 4.7?

If that is the case, I'll be holding off on the iTunes update!

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
I'm not quite sure judging by this post - but I take it that Shapeshifter 2 will not theme iTunes 4.7?

If that is the case, I'll be holding off on the iTunes update!
No, it does.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 01:21 PM

iTunes 4.7 is fully themed.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 02:03 PM

Oh! Alright. Thanks for the clarification.

Fusion
Senior User
Oct 27, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Twister:
iTunes 4.7 is fully themed.
Fully, or just the widgets? As far as I know the background and shape of iTunes cannot be themed beyond the level of brightness from white to black.

Stuphalina
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2004, 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Fusion:
Fully, or just the widgets? As far as I know the background and shape of iTunes cannot be themed beyond the level of brightness from white to black.
Most of A and a bit of B. The widgets are themed and depending on the theme, som itunes theme have a different color on the grayscale to them, so it won't be completely the same as the theme but have elements from it.

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!

Twister
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2004, 05:22 PM

To me it appears just as much as any other. The widgets are mostly made over, background is smoother, things like that.

sayonaraML
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2004, 01:38 AM

Thanks for the word on SS 2 and iTunes. After happily running Somatic for a day I upgraded my iTunes and got all of my aqua icons back. I also got a top bar in blue, SS in orange, and the rest of my wondows in aluminum or whatever that metal is supposed to be. It was enough for me to shut down my desktop for the night and go to the powerbook. I'll apply the terminal fix tomorrow and report back.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 03:36 PM

My issue with ShapeShifter 2.0 comes when I open iSync.

Upon opening, I'm given a warning that ShapeShifter has been disabled for iSync, and sure enough, the app is not themed. From that point on, ShapeShifter no longer themes anything. Any newly opened apps are Aqua, and when I check on the theme's status in the ShapeShifter prefpane, it indicates I'm using the default aqua theme.

I've tried the fix indicated in the first post of this thread and that hasn't helped. I dumped ShapeShifter's cache and that didn't fix it.

Jason

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by jerseyfreeze:

Upon opening, I'm given a warning that ShapeShifter has been disabled for iSync, and sure enough, the app is not themed. From that point on, ShapeShifter no longer themes anything. Any newly opened apps are Aqua, and when I check on the theme's status in the ShapeShifter prefpane, it indicates I'm using the default aqua theme.

I've tried the fix indicated in the first post of this thread and that hasn't helped. I dumped ShapeShifter's cache and that didn't fix it.

Jason
Yep, I just duplicated this on my machine. Disables Shapeshifter entirely. Restart/Log Out fixes the problem.

Odd how it disables the pref pane for the entire system though.

Mac OS 10.3.5 | SS 2.0 | Powerbook G4 | iSync 1.5 (v139)

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 04:18 PM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
Yep, I just duplicated this on my machine. Disables Shapeshifter entirely. Restart/Log Out fixes the problem.

Odd how it disables the pref pane for the entire system though.

Mac OS 10.3.5 | SS 2.0 | Powerbook G4 | iSync 1.5 (v139)
What do you mean by restarting/logging out fixes the problem?

When I restart or log out, the entire system goes back to Aqua. I can then reapply a theme, but opening iSync again starts the whole cycle again. So restarting really doesn't fix anything for me.

Jason

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 04:25 PM

What do you mean by restarting/logging out fixes the problem?
Well, it fixes the problem for me (I don't use iSync) but obviously it still presents a problem for you and many others I assume.

So, no, it doesn't fix the problem, it just fixed mine.

jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 28, 2004, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by .saNNic.:
Well, it fixes the problem for me (I don't use iSync) but obviously it still presents a problem for you and many others I assume.

So, no, it doesn't fix the problem, it just fixed mine.
I wasn't trying to attack you. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I just wanted clarification.

So when you restart, your entire system is still themed with the nonAqua theme you were using?

.saNNic.
Forum Regular
Oct 28, 2004, 04:39 PM

I wasn't trying to attack you. I'm sorry if it came across that way. I just wanted clarification.

So when you restart, your entire system is still themed with the nonAqua theme you were using?
Hey, no problem, I didn't take any offense, you're irritated as anyone would be if one of your most used apps caused this problem.

No, once I logged out I was able to reapply a theme. I wasn't able to reapply a theme until I logged out/in.

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 1, 2004, 11:49 AM

Yep, same iSync-problem here.
Makes Shapeshifter kinda unusable for me..

Fusion
Senior User
Nov 1, 2004, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
Yep, same iSync-problem here.
Makes Shapeshifter kinda unusable for me..
Yeah, same strange problem for me as well.

I emailed Unsainity > no reply
I replied to their blog post > no reply
Asked questions in this forum > no reply

I am a paying customer for this, so it really has me bummed. This is so unlike Unsanity as well to be so hush hush about it and not even give a conformation that it is being worked on. I hope this will be addressed soon. I would even be fine with reverting back to my old version, but that is not possible either.

Soon hopefully. Anyone out there listening?

aki
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2004, 12:08 AM

If you have multiple versions of iSync.app on your system, delete the old one and empty the trash.

smeger  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 2, 2004, 03:49 AM

Yeah, same strange problem for me as well.

I emailed Unsainity > no reply
I replied to their blog post > no reply
Asked questions in this forum > no reply

I am a paying customer for this, so it really has me bummed. This is so unlike Unsanity as well to be so hush hush about it and not even give a conformation that it is being worked on. I hope this will be addressed soon. I would even be fine with reverting back to my old version, but that is not possible either.

Soon hopefully. Anyone out there listening?
Sorry, I am most definitely aware of this issue, and am working on resolving it. I imagine that the reason you haven't heard back from Unsanity's support staff is that they're overwhelmed with people having the same issue.

My work-around recommendation: Search your hard drive for "iSync.app". If multiple copies are found, delete the ones you don't use (you should probably keep the one that's in your Applications folder). Empty the trash. Perform the instructions at the top of this thread. Delete the folder <your home directory>/Library/Caches/ShapeShifter. Log out and back in, and reapply your theme/icon set/whatever.

This bug is caused by LaunchServices being somewhat brain-dead since the Security Updated that made some modifications to LS a few months ago. This is slightly ironic since I helped to publicize the bug that made the Security Update necessary. Whoops or something...
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

starwxrwx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 2, 2004, 10:42 PM

Jason
I had the same problem after isync - emailed unsanity and they directed me to this thread (thanks for the response!). I tried the line at the top and *voila*! restarted safari and its all pretty and sweet slumbery again!

I had previously deleted my Library/Cache/Shapeshifter dir... so maybe do that as well before trying the above hint?

I rebooted and logged out/in to no avail... but its now working so im happy

I couldnt believe how much I had grown used to no brushed metal!!

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 11, 2004, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by smeger:
[list=1][*]Launch Terminal. It's located in /Applications/Utilities[*]Enter the following command:
defaults delete com.unsanity.shapeshifter CustomSettings[/list=1]
Well, I ran into my first SS2 trouble (came all of a sudden, out of the blue, similar to the one described in this thread), and tried the above.
Terminal returned the message saying that no such file was found and therefor no action took place. In fact, doing a search on my HD remains empty.
Is SS2 supposed to write such a file ? Why didn't it do that on my HD ? What calamity do I have coming without this file ?

I've got things running in theme again, but OMG what a buggy behaviour

cgc
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2004, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by MacMan4000:

everyone here owes me 5 bucks!
I'll email you five bucks... hehehe

Dave-o�
Senior User
Nov 11, 2004, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by cgc:
I'll email you five bucks... hehehe
Scanning and sending currency if a federal offense....

ihcra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2004, 07:23 PM

ive just installed shapeshifter and a few themes

unfortunately nothing i do seems to affect iTunes 4.7

the fix listed at the top dosnt seem to do anything

is this because shapeshifter was installed after itunes 4.7?

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 26, 2004, 08:09 PM

and we are assuming the themes said chosen do indeed have iTunes skinned? Some themes do not,other than that it may be an unsanity call.It should work,also check to see if iTunes is on the Exclude list fer some reason,let us know.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

Forum Links
Forum Rules