Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Travelling to Italy, powerbook power adapter question.

Travelling to Italy, powerbook power adapter question.
kitcho
May 15, 2006, 10:26 PM

hi.

i am travelling to italy soon and i am 99% sure i have what i need without causing any problems.

this is a picture of what i bought. since it says AC 100-240v right on my powerbook power adapter i assume all i have to do is plug in the adapter i bought and everything should work with no problems.

thanks in advance

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2006, 10:54 PM

As long as the plug fits wherever you're going, it'll work. The PB/MBP power adapter is compatable all around the world.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 15, 2006, 10:56 PM

yes. that looks like it will work. Is it a different duck-foot plug for the power adaptor?

When I went to Italy, I brought my normal US power adaptor and duck-foot plug and a generic adaptor that converted US plugs to European plugs. That has the advantage that I could also plug other things that have universal adaptors, like my camera battery charger, into it.

arthill
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2006, 11:47 PM

It's hard to tell from the photo. Is that an adapter for Italy or for general Europe? Here's a great link if you're not sure: http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

I was in Italy earlier this year and encountered a variety of different outlet types in different hotels (sometimes multiple types in the same room). In most places, my general Europe converter worked fine. But in some places only the 3 prong inline adapter worked (but in other places that wouldn't work at all). I'd recommend bringing one of each, just to be safe (they're pretty easy to find over there, if you want to wait). And bring a US plug as well; many hotels have US-style outlets in the bathroom for razors which you can use in a pinch. Also, some European converter plugs have thicker prongs than others. My thin pronged converter worked in more locations in Italy than the thicker pronged converter.

As mentioned already, your power adapter should work just fine with the Italian voltage.

Enjoy Italy!

kitcho  (op)
May 16, 2006, 01:35 AM

alright after looking at that handy link, i determined that the plug type i bought was type C. the website also said many outlets are designed to accomidate both type C (2 round) and type L (3 inline round). lets hope the hotels im staying at have type C power outlets. adapter would be for italy only.

thanks for the input

regards

gogogo9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 11:58 AM

kitcho,
Where did you buy this duck-foot plug for the power adaptor, how much was it? Asking as I'll be buying MBP in the US and I'd like to get one like that for Ireland.
Thanks.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2006, 01:20 PM

That thing seems like it is what you need. For the record that type of plug is also compatible for Spain.

kitcho  (op)
May 16, 2006, 06:29 PM

euro plug adapter

above is a link to a new ebay auction from the same person i bought my adpater from. seller is located in the uk. cheers

elcheapo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 16, 2006, 06:34 PM

Just head down to your local RatShack and pick up a travel kit for 10 bucks. Plug the adapter on the end of the AC cord, insert into wall and done.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2006, 06:47 PM

By the way, folks, it's "duck head", not duck foot!

tooki

kitcho  (op)
May 17, 2006, 05:29 PM

recieved the adapter today. it looks like oem apple but im not 100% sure.

anyway, here is a better pic for everyone. enjoy

powerbook/ibook/ipod euro plug adapter.

cheers

andgarden
May 17, 2006, 06:19 PM

In the worst case, the Italians will be able to sell you an adaptor from the general round euro type plug that you have, to their local variety.

Forum Links
Forum Rules