Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Still very happy with my (old) PowerBook G4!!

Still very happy with my (old) PowerBook G4!!
Naplander
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 11:18 AM

I have a 1.5ghz 15" PowerBook G4 and am still loving this machine.

When the MacBooks came out, I got the usual Apple lust, but I just cannot fault my current machine.

All the software is native to the PowerPC and the machine design has been tweaked to perfection.

I guess in a year or so I may be ready to upgrade, but to all those PowerBook users, with MacBook or Intel lust, you've still got yourself an awesome machine

mrmister
Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 11:54 AM

Well...duh.

A 1.5 ghz PowerBook is hardly "old". My rule of thumb is that nothing is old until it's out of extended (3 year) AppleCare...and just because it is old doesn't mean it is even obsolete then.

Especially with the Intel transition, anyone with one of the last PBs should simply wait.

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2006, 01:52 PM

Well, I have the 500MHzTiBook (512MB RAM), and it's showing its age. Although it still works perfectly and solid as a rock, performance with iPhoto is poor. I have thousands of photos, and scrolling is jerky and delayed. Bringing up full screen photos takes a while, and slideshows seem to make the photo look more blurry than the original. Wonder if bumping the RAM would help, but I have those super soft screws, and I don't think it could stand removing them again...

masugu
Senior User
May 19, 2006, 02:32 PM

I feel like my Ti PB at 1GHz is still pretty good as well. I have taken such great care of it so from cosmetic POV, it is cool as well. That said...I WANT A BLACBOOK in the worst way. Going to check it out tonight with my wife. I may have to get one anyway

skyman
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by masugu
I feel like my Ti PB at 1GHz is still pretty good as well. I have taken such great care of it so from cosmetic POV, it is cool as well. That said...I WANT A BLACBOOK in the worst way. Going to check it out tonight with my wife. I may have to get one anyway
I went from a 1GHz Ti to a MBP. WOW, the performance difference is amazing! The MBP smokes my Ti. I am sure the MP would be a great upgrade from the Ti. Get the BlackBook!!!
MacBookPro 1.83GHz - 1.5 GB RAM - OS 10.4.6

tillin
May 20, 2006, 07:54 PM

i too have a PB G4 1.5GHz ( the 17" ) and it really is a great great laptop, it has yet to let me down. i too got the Apple lust, and almost charged ahead, but i am gonna wait as well, i still have my applecare extended warranty

ghettochild
May 20, 2006, 08:42 PM

I'm also a very happy PB owner. no way that I'll even consider switching until office and CS comes in universal binary.
17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL

Velocity211
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 09:12 PM

When a product comes out of the box, it's obsolete. jk My Powerbook is running great, there are a couple scratches here and there, but I still love it.
iMac 24" | Core 2 Extreme 2.8GHz | 4GB RAM | 500GB HD
PowerBook G4 15" HR | 1.67GHz | 2GB RAM | 100GB HD
R.I.P 1995 Toyota Supra NA-T

hickey
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 12:09 AM

my 1.25Ghz is still chugging along just fine. I need to reinstall FCP and all that and then it will be back to perfect.

Long live PPC!

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 01:09 AM

My PBG4 is still a fantastic machine, but I'm itching for something faster with more RAM. Can't wait for the Intel towers (there are indeed a few things that being able to run Windows natively would be useful for).
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

maxx9photo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 08:42 AM

Same here, I'm a rev b PBG4 12" user and still waiting till my applecare runs out. Till then hopefully my PB won't have any prob and soon after I will be on the market to look what is best for me.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 08:51 AM

I'm struggling with the Apple list right now, but I agree that the G4 PowerBooks are still great machines. There's no real reason for most people to rush out and buy a MB or MBP. But for people buying new computers now, I'd certainly go for the portables with the Intel chips over the G4s.

tillin
May 21, 2006, 11:48 AM

thats true for sure. if someone is starting fresh then definately go with the MBP or the MB, but if youve already got a PB like us, then stay with it.

same with my G5, i just bought it recently ( jannuary-ish) but i needed the power of a G5 now, i couldnt wait for an intel. and it will be quite a while before my baby is so slow i cant use it anymore

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 12:22 PM

My 867 TiBook is starting to get slow. I need to get more RAM, but I am happy with it.

kitcho
May 21, 2006, 02:27 PM

once my extended warranty ends on my rev A 15in pb i will be shopping for a Macbook. Thing is, that wont be for almost 2 years. 1.33Ghz/768mb Ram runs pretty much everything I throw at it (except games - but it is a mac )

Forum Links
Forum Rules