Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best eStore Solution You've Used?

Best eStore Solution You've Used?
Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 31, 2010, 07:29 PM

Hi All,

I know this is the lounge but I always get such great suggestions for web dev stuff here.

The eStore I'm looking for is to handle branded merchandise for my client. Clothes, devices and sometimes even print stuff. It needs to be enough to handle tracking, shipping, payment gateways and to be able to scale well.

I've been researching:

Magento - Home - eCommerce Software for Growth
They look professional and offer different pricing models but I've heard bad things about them when it comes to flexibility and features. Sounds like the learning curve is steep - and annoying.

Shopping Cart Software and Ecommerce Solution: CS-Cart. Free shopping cart trial.
I've heard real great things about this one. The pricing is good and it offers a dearth of features that people actually need. Doesn't have a monster community behind it and is fairly new compared to others but is gaining momentum. Also, good usability design in the control panel.

osCommerce, Open Source Online Shop E-Commerce Solutions
Easy to use and decent community - but it's old technology now and lacks new features.

What do you guys think?

Phileas
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2010, 08:13 PM

Wordpress and the WP Shopping Cart plugin. We use it and love it.

http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2010, 12:47 PM

Thanks Phileas - I don't run anything but blogs on Wordpress, so thats not a real option for me.

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2010, 12:51 PM

Has anybody programmed their own custom store solutions or attached themselves to a hosted ecommerce solution like gobarry.com or shopify model or something?

-Q-
Apr 7, 2010, 11:25 PM

I'll ask around the office tomorrow. We haven't implemented anything like that for my client, but we may have for one of our retail ones.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 8, 2010, 07:17 AM

I'm currently migrating from PayPal (which I now dislike along with many others) to CCNow, the "merchant account alternative." It seems like a great option between PayPal and the hassle of a full merchant account setup.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 10, 2010, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Apple Pro Underwear View Post
Has anybody programmed their own custom store solutions or attached themselves to a hosted ecommerce solution like gobarry.com or shopify model or something?

I've done my own custom store solutions that use PayPal.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 12, 2010, 06:04 AM

I'm giving additional consideration to Google Checkout. Any small business owners have experience with it? It's Google, so it's probably reliable and dead simple, right?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Addicted to MacNN
Apr 12, 2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm giving additional consideration to Google Checkout. Any small business owners have experience with it? It's Google, so it's probably reliable and dead simple, right?
I've seen a demo - as a payment gateway, it's pretty simple. The more you use the Google stuff (App Engine) with it the easier it is to use.

Forum Links
Forum Rules