Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread

Official Mac Notebook Picture Thread (Page 81)
Uriel
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2009, 08:15 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2009, 12:10 AM

Nice clean setup.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2009, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Subaru_Nation555 View Post
Just changed rooms, now I have a nice big desk!

Shouldn't you have, like, a Subaru as a desktop? Well I guess since Toyota and Subaru are in bed together, , it's okay...

zolagol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2010, 08:03 AM

Very nice pics by all. I just bought my 17" MBP yesterday. I'm aware that this is always a 'touchy' time to buy one, as the next gen is right around the corner. Of course being a simple 'pro'sumer, (if that), I have more power, space, and speed than I really need. I change system at least every 18 months or so. I sold my iMac 20 (2008) to go MBP 17. Really appreciate the mobility, design, and power.

Glad to be back to the forums. Have not been here for a while. Always impressed by the informative and useful content. I may post pics of my 'baby' eventually. Not sure if necessary. We all know what they look like.

Cheers everyone!
Mac. When you want something that works. Period.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by zolagol View Post
Very nice pics by all. I just bought my 17" MBP yesterday. I'm aware that this is always a 'touchy' time to buy one, as the next gen is right around the corner. Of course being a simple 'pro'sumer, (if that), I have more power, space, and speed than I really need. I change system at least every 18 months or so. I sold my iMac 20 (2008) to go MBP 17. Really appreciate the mobility, design, and power.

Glad to be back to the forums. Have not been here for a while. Always impressed by the informative and useful content. I may post pics of my 'baby' eventually. Not sure if necessary. We all know what they look like.

Cheers everyone!
I think the pics are also to see your environment / workstation setup and perhaps even to convey a little about your personality.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by zolagol View Post

Cheers everyone!
Congrats with your purchase! Yes, you could have waited, and most people will tell you so, but the next revision of the MBP probably won't be much more than an incremental update. It's certainly not necessary to post a pic, but it's fun

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2010, 06:06 PM

( Last edited by Googer-Giger; Jan 23, 2010 at 02:12 PM. )
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

MDD867
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2010, 04:34 AM

Replaced my old trusty Quad G5 with 2,66 Ghz 15" with 8GB RAM.
I do mostly InDesign / Illustrator CS4 stuff, and was quite sceptical about the performance of the MacBook Pro vs Quad G5, but the Macbook Pro does everything faster except saving files.

ilovemymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by danbt79 View Post
I have a clean desk at the moment!

love your setup man !

applesjgtl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 21, 2010, 07:27 PM

It's not quite a mac pro, just an September 2007 20" iMac and a 23" Cinema Display, but I figured I might as well post it. Also, there's a 1.2 GHz Titanium PowerBook there. That's a loaner, I'm purchasing my MacBook Pro today.

big picture link
( Last edited by reader50; May 7, 2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: changed big pic to a link)

willar27k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 9, 2010, 09:44 PM

macndave you willingly use the original imac keyboard?!?
1Ghz Powerbook

reRESERVEDMD
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2010, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDD867 View Post

Replaced my old trusty Quad G5 with 2,66 Ghz 15" with 8GB RAM.
I do mostly InDesign / Illustrator CS4 stuff, and was quite sceptical about the performance of the MacBook Pro vs Quad G5, but the Macbook Pro does everything faster except saving files.
MDD - I take it you do design work. Is glossy screen much of a hassle for you regarding color accuracy or is it something you're fine with. Sorry for hijacking the thread.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2010, 02:39 PM

Ok, here it goes for my setup:
I am not sure why I cannot post pics or attachments here, but here is a link to my setup and specs for everything:
http://gallery.me.com/jeffdvance#100236
iMac 27inch, 8gb, 1tb - 15inch MacBook Pro - 2.53ghz C2D, 4gb, 500gb - iPad 64gb - iPhone 3GS 32gb - 500gb WD - 160gb WD - 2tb Time Machine - M-Audio ac30's I think, Wacom Intuos 3 4x6 - New slim Apple Remote - Jawbone - iPod Nano 16gb - Wireless X360 controller for PC gaming.
( Last edited by solofx7; Apr 9, 2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: attachments?)
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,
iPhone 4 - Time Capsule 2tb, Apple TV - iPad 2 64gb

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2010, 03:36 AM

Beautiful setup. The iPad makes a great addition to your technology collection.

May I ask: What do you use your Wacom tablet for? I have a similar model, but I use mine mostly to annotate notes and documents.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 16, 2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Beautiful setup. The iPad makes a great addition to your technology collection.

May I ask: What do you use your Wacom tablet for? I have a similar model, but I use mine mostly to annotate notes and documents.
Thank you for the compliment. I want to get a more stylist desk and lighting setup to make the hardware look better.

The wacom? Well initially it was bought to use for art, but I never really make time to use it. My daughter who is 3 and I use it to doodle around on the computer. I real hope to get corel painter to use on with it though. I have not used it to annotate notes or anything. What do you use for that? Built in Mac software or something different.

I love the iPad and besides it's new, it gets the most use out of all my tech because it is very useful for quick stuff and Internet use.

Sorry about the pictures link, I am still trying to figure out how to post them online here. Please talk me out of trading my MacBook pro in for a new MacBook pro i7 that I do not need!
iMac 27inch 3.4 i7 16gb ram, MacBook Air 11 inch i5 128gb, iMac 27inch 2.8 i7 8gb ram, MacBook Pro 17 inch 2.66 i7, 4gb ram 500gb HDD Seagate XT,

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 12:15 PM

Got my new 13" MacBook Pro to replace my aging elderly MacBook on the right. I love this thing so much.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 02:22 PM

Screen looks MUCH brighter. Very nice.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 05:34 PM

It definitely is. My old MacBook was a 2007 pre-LED version. It's so yellow. (I set both up exactly the same to compare them. Look at the yellow! And that's with the color settings on the least ugly setting. Thankfully my new Pro has superior screen and looks amazing. I love it. i5 or no i5 it is awesome. And 4GB of RAM is so useful. I haven't run out once. With 2GB I was hitting the wall after just launching Chrome or Firefox. (Thanks to Flash of course.) Now I haven't gone below ~1.5GB left.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 07:34 PM

Jasoco,

Did you buy the 13" because you liked the size, or because it was more affordable than the 15" ? (Just curious). I need to pull the trigger and get one myself at some point, but I'm still on the fence 13" vs. 15"
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 22, 2010, 07:52 PM

I prefer the size. I love the 15" and its features, but the screen size and overall unit size is just too big for what I use this for.

I would have LOVED to have a higher resolution option and an i5 option in my 13", but the size trumps my decision every time. 15" is just too big for me.

Go to the store and try both. I did just to see if 15" was my choice and found out 13" was just right.

Price was nothing really. I was fully prepared to spend the $100 more for a high-res 15" but in the end I still did not like the 15" size.

Dear Apple, please incorporate a resolution higher than the piddly 1280x800 into the next 13". That is all.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2010, 08:14 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the feedback ... most appreciated.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2010, 12:21 PM

nice comp, love it.
I am deciding between the 15 and 17 MBP

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2010, 01:56 PM

The only things I don't like coming from a 2007 model MacBook:

The F-keys are labeled with the icon first then the F# tiny second. It's hard to tell at a glance what key I want to hit. I have my F-keys set to open apps and control things without pressing Fn. So it's hard to hit them as fast when I can't see which one is which right away. F1 for iTunes, F5 for Chrome, F6 for Mail, F2, F3 and F4 control iTunes.

They moved the volume ones from the left to the right so I can no longer change the volume with one hand. WTF? They put the damn Exposé and Dashboard keys there now. I don't need those! I have two F-keys set for Exposé and three set to control iTunes without using Fn. This is just inconvenient.

Thankfully my second gripe is solved with BetterTouchTool and using the "tap bottom right" and "tap center right" while holding Command. I really wish they hadn't made the useless icons prominent. Guess I should do some rearranging. Maybe move my iTunes controls from F2, F3 and F4 to F7, F8 and F9 so they at least match the location of Apple's icons.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 23, 2010, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jasoco View Post
The only things I don't like coming from a 2007 model MacBook:

The F-keys are labeled with the icon first then the F# tiny second. It's hard to tell at a glance what key I want to hit. I have my F-keys set to open apps and control things without pressing Fn. So it's hard to hit them as fast when I can't see which one is which right away. F1 for iTunes, F5 for Chrome, F6 for Mail, F2, F3 and F4 control iTunes.

They moved the volume ones from the left to the right so I can no longer change the volume with one hand. WTF? They put the damn Exposé and Dashboard keys there now. I don't need those! I have two F-keys set for Exposé and three set to control iTunes without using Fn. This is just inconvenient.

Thankfully my second gripe is solved with BetterTouchTool and using the "tap bottom right" and "tap center right" while holding Command. I really wish they hadn't made the useless icons prominent. Guess I should do some rearranging. Maybe move my iTunes controls from F2, F3 and F4 to F7, F8 and F9 so they at least match the location of Apple's icons.
I am just guessing, but can't this be set in the system preferences?
I am not a big keyboard person so I truly don't know.

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 23, 2010, 09:21 PM

What they did was unify the keyboard layouts among desktop and laptop keyboards. The standard desktop keyboard is laid out just like what you describe, and has been for some time. On the other hand, my 4 year old MBP's keyboard has F keys that are completely different-which was a major pain when I'd work on my desktop on something and then head for school and try to continue my work on the MBP.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 24, 2010, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by solofx7 View Post
I am just guessing, but can't this be set in the system preferences?
I am not a big keyboard person so I truly don't know.
Set what? Move the volume keys back over to the left side and remove the useless Dashboard and excessive Exposé keys I don't need? No. Make the icons smaller so the F#'s are bigger? No.

Apple changed it for some reason and now it's more inconvenient to hit volume and harder to read the number on the F-key. Which is why I'm glad for BetterTouchTool.

Question. Wasn't there an option somewhere to set it so Caps Lock wouldn't come on unless you tap it three times? I thought this was a new feature, but I can't find it. Was I dreaming that?

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 24, 2010, 03:28 PM

There isn't a way to reassign the functions of the function keys in System Prefs. You can toggle between "be a function key" and "be a special feature key," but that's it.

Jasoco, you may be thinking about Universal Access; you can set the system to use "sticky keys" to reduce the amount of hand-work needed to use control/alt/command and shift keys. There's also an option called "slow keys" that requires a key to be pressed for an extended (selectable) time before it's accepted.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 08:54 PM

Set what? Move the volume keys back over to the left side and remove the useless Dashboard and excessive Exposé keys I don't need? No. Make the icons smaller so the F#'s are bigger? No.

Apple changed it for some reason and now it's more inconvenient to hit volume and harder to read the number on the F-key. Which is why I'm glad for BetterTouchTool.

Question. Wasn't there an option somewhere to set it so Caps Lock wouldn't come on unless you tap it three times? I thought this was a new feature, but I can't find it. Was I dreaming that?
Sorry, I meant i thought there was a way to reassign them.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2010, 04:37 PM

Nah. Not really. Plus if there was, I would never go for having the key do a different thing than the symbol on it. That would totally mess up my OCD if the Exposé key muted the sound. I'd go crazy. CRAZY! CrAZy!!1!11!!

solofx7
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2010, 02:29 PM

What do ya'll think about my setup?
( Last edited by solofx7; May 5, 2010 at 09:29 AM. )

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 2, 2010, 09:41 PM

Image won't load.

Though I can view it if I open in a new tab. I think you linked to the page, not the image.

Also, how can you see the iMac with the MacBook in the way.

solofx7
Mac Elite
May 5, 2010, 09:32 AM

Sorry about that, here are the updates of my setup. I guess you cannot use Mobile Me to link to pics here and have them show up on the page. It just does not seem to work on these mann forums. Let me know what you all think about my setup. I am looking to get a more updated setup as far as a desk is concerned.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 11:38 AM

Here's a pic of my new old unibody Macbook. I got it off eBay, but it now for $800. Around 6 months old, with 4 gigs of RAM and a new 500 gig hard drive. Already put Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Professional on it and it runs like a champ.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Here's a pic of my new old unibody Macbook. I got it off eBay, but it now for $800. Around 6 months old, with 4 gigs of RAM and a new 500 gig hard drive. Already put Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Professional on it and it runs like a champ.

You got a great deal on that. What speed is it? Enjoy!
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 12:21 PM

Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz. I thought this was the new Macbook still, but I'm not sure when Apple switched to the white one. The new Macbook Pro 13" looks like this one.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 12:23 PM

Core 2 Duo at 2 Ghz. I thought this was the new Macbook still, but I'm not sure when Apple switched to the white one. The new Macbook Pro 13" looks like this one.
They had one release cycle with an aluminum "MacBook" (non pro). Same thing as the new Pro, sans Firewire (I think.)
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 01:20 PM

I think that's what this one is. I love it! And having at least Windows 7 Professional is a must. They should just eliminate the other versions, imho.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 01:23 PM

Yeah. The MacBook had an identity crisis about two years ago when Apple thought about dumping the plastic MacBooks and replaced them with the aluminum MacBook's as the 13" and started the Pro's at 15". (I suspect it was to get a better case because of the crack flaw in the old ones) But then they figured out they could do the same "unibody" process with a chunk of plastic and rereleased the 13" Pro with the old MacBook unibody (Plus FireWire) and the new white plastic MacBook's as you see them now. They also had a crisis period where they weren't sure they were keeping FireWire on low ends or not. They seem to have figured it all out now though.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 02:33 PM

I think that's what this one is. I love it! And having at least Windows 7 Professional is a must. They should just eliminate the other versions, imho.
I like Win7. (Don't have much of a choice but to use it for my work PC, so I'm pretty happy I like it.)

The only things I miss from OSX are a decent photo program (aka iPhoto) and something decent like iMovie used to be. (Forget about iMovie 08) I'm getting by with Windows Live Photo (Picasa is horrid for using standard photo tags). But the Windows Live Movie maker is total and complete crap.

Everything else I'm pretty happy with.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 18, 2010, 03:44 PM

You might know this, but in Windows 7 Home Premium, which is on the desktop, how in THE world do you access the Local Security Console??? For the life of me, I can't figure it out and I know it has to be there somewhere.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 18, 2010, 09:32 PM

You might know this, but in Windows 7 Home Premium, which is on the desktop, how in THE world do you access the Local Security Console??? For the life of me, I can't figure it out and I know it has to be there somewhere.
Are you talking about the local group policy editor?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Chinasaur
Senior User
May 19, 2010, 05:29 AM

MacBook 2.4Ghz at guest computer station before the Unibody's became MacBook Pro's. Dead MacBook in lower left Yes, the Green tensor lamp is hideous Cheap speakers and Dell mouse

iMac - Late 2015 iMac, 32GB RAM
MacBook - 2010 MacBook, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 19, 2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by driven View Post
Are you talking about the local group policy editor?
Yeah, is it in 7 Home Premium?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2010, 08:56 AM

Yeah, is it in 7 Home Premium?
Yes (Getting off topic, but I've attached an image)
If you can't find it and you still have my e-mail address ping me and we'll find it. This image is from Win7 Professional. (I'm about to upgrade to Enterprise, so I'm glad you asked me before I did that.)

- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2010, 01:58 PM

Image won't load.

Though I can view it if I open in a new tab. I think you linked to the page, not the image.

Also, how can you see the iMac with the MacBook in the way.
Sorry about that. I think that I fixed it.
Actually I took that picture just to post on here. I use my iMac all of the time, the laptop has actually been sitting across the room in a bag it only came out for the picture and sometimes for school. My rig actually made it into MacFormat this month. I will post a pic soon
Yes I look goofy in the picture.

solofx7
Mac Elite
Jul 7, 2010, 02:17 PM

Here is the link finally

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2010, 07:33 PM

Never getting rid of this thing.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2010, 07:59 PM

It's not widescreen or Intel. How can you live?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post

What is it about the machine that you find so attractive?
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

IronPen
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 16, 2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Googer-Giger View Post

Of all the Macs I've owned, the 12" Powerbook has been my favorite. I wish they'd bring that form factor back.
MacBook C2D 2.0GHz/Combo/2GB RAM

Forum Links
Forum Rules