Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > can't boot from OS 9 CD since I installed X

can't boot from OS 9 CD since I installed X
shinstudio
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2003, 11:57 PM

As the subject describe I can't boot my computer from OS 9 CD.
I didn't install prior to OS X and now want to install OS 9.
And I searched apple's web site and found a solution saying "Perform clean install booting from OS 9 CD".

But the thing is I can't boot from the OS 9 CD...

What could cause that problem and be solution for that?

Thanks in advance!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 4, 2003, 05:52 PM

Well, you should be sure that you're attempting to boot in the correct manner. With the OS 9 CD in your drive, open up the Start up pane of System Preferences and select the CD. If you've done this, what happens when you reboot? Does it simply restart in OS X? Perhaps the CD isn't compatible with your system -- that's the most likely explanation. I've never heard of a system rejecting a valid CD. Please let us know what you've tried and what's happened, exactly, so that we may better understand the issue.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2003, 07:02 PM

Try zapping the PRAM.

If that doesn't work, boot into Open Firmware and reset it.

What happens if you boot while holding down the Option key? (Only applies to Macs with AGP.)

tooki

avoges
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2003, 11:47 PM

Originally posted by shinstudio:
As the subject describe I can't boot my computer from OS 9 CD.
I didn't install prior to OS X and now want to install OS 9.
And I searched apple's web site and found a solution saying "Perform clean install booting from OS 9 CD".

But the thing is I can't boot from the OS 9 CD...

What could cause that problem and be solution for that?

Thanks in advance!
give us some details on the type of computer you have.. I may have an idea what's up.

shinstudio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Well, you should be sure that you're attempting to boot in the correct manner. With the OS 9 CD in your drive, open up the Start up pane of System Preferences and select the CD. If you've done this, what happens when you reboot? Does it simply restart in OS X? Perhaps the CD isn't compatible with your system -- that's the most likely explanation. I've never heard of a system rejecting a valid CD. Please let us know what you've tried and what's happened, exactly, so that we may better understand the issue.
OS 9 CD is official 9.1 that I bought long ago. And Mac OS X.2 is official too.
And When I select the CD from the Start Up pane and reboot the computer, that ? mark in a folder comes up, hangs, and booting to OS X.
When I open the Start Up pane, in fact it recognize the CD as OS 9 Operating system. But I can't start from it...

shinstudio  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by tooki:
Try zapping the PRAM.

If that doesn't work, boot into Open Firmware and reset it.

What happens if you boot while holding down the Option key? (Only applies to Macs with AGP.)

tooki
I'll try that and let you know what happens!

Thanks.

sascho
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2003, 03:53 PM

Hi shinstudio, did you solve your problem and if yes, how did you do it? I have exactly the same problem (iBook 700MHz, 12.1").

Gregg
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2003, 01:55 PM

This could be outdated, but I read in several places that you should install the older system before installing OSX. I think in order to do that now, you'd have to reinitialize the drive, losing everything that's on it, and start over.
Ya gotta applaud those bunnies for sacrificing their hearing just so some guy in Yonkers can have better TV reception.

iKent
Jul 28, 2003, 11:00 PM

I'd really like to know if/how this was resolved, since I have the exact same problem. Tried zapping the PRAM, but that didn't seem to make a difference.

TiBook 400
( Last edited by iKent; Jul 29, 2003 at 08:39 AM. )

joncope
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 06:56 AM

I think I've just solved the problem you guys had and vowed that if I did I'd go through the hassle of registering for this site to help you out!

Basically, I bought a used G4 Quicksilver that came with OS X v.2 discs and an OS 9 v.1 disc.

The vendor told me that both OS's were installed, but when I booted up, only OS X was on there, and when I tried to start applications requiring Classic/OS 9, I got various error messages.

I tried to boot from the OS 9 disc supplied, but with no joy - I was stuck in a loop.

The solution was simple. I got hold of an OS 9 v.2 disc from a friend, used it to do a clean install of OS9, then installed OSX over the top.

Now all seems to be as it's described in the textbooks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules