Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > free PPPoE for OS 9?

free PPPoE for OS 9?
losta
Jul 28, 2004, 05:13 PM

Does anyone know where to get a free PPPoE client for OS 9? I checked version tracker and MacPoet is not free and I can't seem to find EnterNet either.

Thanks in advance
Thanks in advance.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 29, 2004, 05:44 PM

Both programs are not freely accessible and both have probably been long discontinued. But I do believe this page helped me find MacPoET way back when. The truth is both programs are pretty miserable. Enternet, which was installled by my phone company when DSL was installed, crashed my 8600 during sleep. And MacPoET didn't recognize when it was no longer connected to the Internet.

If you can stand a minimal expenditure, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap hardware router from a company like Netgear, Asante or SMC. Visit dealmac.com to find good deals on the products. You connect your DSL or cable modem and each computer to the router, use a web interface to configure a few details, and it transparently handles PPPoE. One really nice thing is that a router will automatically connect once it receives any Internet request from your computers. Once it's set up you really don't have to think about your connection again. Plus routers provide firewall and Network Address Translation protection, securing your computers and making them invisible to the outside Internet.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2004, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
Both programs are not freely accessible and both have probably been long discontinued. But I do believe this page helped me find MacPoET way back when. The truth is both programs are pretty miserable. Enternet, which was installled by my phone company when DSL was installed, crashed my 8600 during sleep. And MacPoET didn't recognize when it was no longer connected to the Internet.

If you can stand a minimal expenditure, do yourself a favor and buy a cheap hardware router from a company like Netgear, Asante or SMC. Visit dealmac.com to find good deals on the products. You connect your DSL or cable modem and each computer to the router, use a web interface to configure a few details, and it transparently handles PPPoE. One really nice thing is that a router will automatically connect once it receives any Internet request from your computers. Once it's set up you really don't have to think about your connection again. Plus routers provide firewall and Network Address Translation protection, securing your computers and making them invisible to the outside Internet.
Good advice! ADSL is hell in OS 9 and is rather lame in OS X using internet connect. A router makes life so much easier and is a must in OS 9 I'd say. Invest in the router. I've got an SMC Barricade and it is just fine.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by losta:
Does anyone know where to get a free PPPoE client for OS 9? I checked version tracker and MacPoet is not free and I can't seem to find EnterNet either.

Thanks in advance
I am using MacPoet with 9.2.2 Want me to email it to you?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2004, 09:20 PM

I've found these programs on ISP's web sites before. I'm sure they're not allowed to freely distribute them but they maybe didn't know or understand.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 10:10 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
I've found these programs on ISP's web sites before. I'm sure they're not allowed to freely distribute them but they maybe didn't know or understand.
Earthlink gives you a copy when you get their DSL service.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Aug 6, 2004, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by Don Pickett:
Earthlink gives you a copy when you get their DSL service.
Oops, awkward wording on my previous post. I meant to say they're paying to give the programs to the customers, not anybody on the Net who wants it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 7, 2004, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Oops, awkward wording on my previous post. I meant to say they're paying to give the programs to the customers, not anybody on the Net who wants it.
True enough. But at this point, I don't know if anyone cares in the least. MacPoET was sold and abandoned long ago, AFAIK. Anyone who needs PPPoE connections should buy a router - there's no reason not to.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2004, 10:12 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
True enough. But at this point, I don't know if anyone cares in the least. MacPoET was sold and abandoned long ago, AFAIK. Anyone who needs PPPoE connections should buy a router - there's no reason not to.
Sure there is. My copy of MacPoET is working fine, saving me the cost of a router!

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 01:52 PM

Sure there is. My copy of MacPoET is working fine, saving me the cost of a router!
Dito here!

rytc
Senior User
Aug 11, 2004, 11:03 PM

When I needed a PPPoE client for OS9 I just googled enternet.sit and along came this site here...

http://www.neobright.net/index.php?g...upport&subnav=

Download the archive used the password provided on the site and you have a perfectly good copy of EnterNet.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2004, 07:47 PM

The more recent versions of Enternet beat the crap out of MacPoet! I had to use it when on Sympatico's ADSL.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
The more recent versions of Enternet beat the crap out of MacPoet! I had to use it when on Sympatico's ADSL.
Could you be more specific on how it beats MacPoet?

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 13, 2004, 11:07 PM

Sure. The most important advance was that it became just another option in the TCP/IP configuration control panel, it was no longer a separate application that ran by itself. You connected with it as if it were just another modem type, so you could use the internet connection Control Strip module, etc. Basically it became a seamless addition to the OS, though it took them for bloody ever to even update it for OS 9.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2004, 12:46 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
Sure. The most important advance was that it became just another option in the TCP/IP configuration control panel, it was no longer a separate application that ran by itself. You connected with it as if it were just another modem type, so you could use the internet connection Control Strip module, etc. Basically it became a seamless addition to the OS, though it took them for bloody ever to even update it for OS 9.
MacPoet works fine for me. Is there any reason for me to switch?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2004, 08:27 AM

MacPoet works fine for me. Is there any reason for me to switch?
No, there isn't.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

rampel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2004, 09:04 AM

Thanks in advance
If you give me your email address I can email you one. It consists of a modem control panel, an extension, and a modem script. Once all three are in place you set your TCP control panel to use PPPoE, then from your Modem control panel (the new one) you "Dial" to your dsl ISP

It comes with instructions in French - but there are screen shots which are very explicit

You must have a PPPoE modem (some call it router)

JMHammer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 9, 2004, 03:51 PM

Thanks in advance
I really have to second the notion of a hardware router, especially since, at least according to your sig, you already have one - in fact, you appear to have several: Your Airport base stations. The Airport Extreme ought to have an ethernet port intended for LAN use and therefore even if your Mac OS 9-using Mac doesn't have Airport you can connect to the rest of your network with a cable, using the Airport for PPOE.

This probably doesn't help...

John H
G4 Cube (1ghz one-processor upgrade from PowerLogix, 120gb WD HD w/8mb cache, 1.5gb RAM, original-equipment CD-RW, original-equipment Radeon w/32mb, Airport card), 17" ADC Apple LCD, Mac OS X 10.3.5 and Mac OS 9.2.2, Epson Stylus Scan 2500, Zip 250 firewire from VST, 30gb firewire/USB1.1 portable drive from VST, Airport base station (snow), basic DSL bandwidth of 768down/128up, Apple Pro Keyboard, Logitech MouseMan Dual Optical... and a G4 1.25ghz/15.2" AlBook, 40gb iPod, and my beloved Palm handheld (currently a Tungsten-T).

Forum Links
Forum Rules