Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Is anyone 100% happy with their MacBook Pro?

Is anyone 100% happy with their MacBook Pro? (Page 2)
thayalan6868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by jasonsRX7
I was unhappy with mine. I RMA'd it and got a Thinkpad T60 instead, which I like much better. I even like my two year old 1ghz Powerbook more than the MacBook Pro. Here's my list of reasons I didn't like the MacBook.

1. Way too hot
2. Too wide
3. Screen has poor viewing angle
4. It made the whining noise
5. Trackpad is too wide (my palms hit it)

The T60 has the same Core Duo processor, yet remains cool. In fact, the bottom of the Thinkpad is far cooler than the palm rests on the MacBook. That's not to say there wasn't a lot to like about the MacBook, it's just that those things were a deal breaker for me.

Actually, I still have the MacBook for a few more days, if anyone wants some comparison shots between it, a Powerbook and a Thinkpad T60 I'll post some.
Post some comparison pics. I'd like to see them.

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
I am satisfied with my MBP. It does not make any whining noises, no dead pixels and it runs much cooler than the 12" pbook I had.
Which 12" PowerBook? The original one with VGA or a more recent model?

I'm still debating if I want to replace my TiBook with a MBP or wait for the iBook replacement. I have the money for a refurb MBP and might pull the trigger soon...

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by aristotles
How do you like the loud fans, smaller display and the 128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400?

If it was way too hot, you either had it on the wrong type of surface or there was something wrong with it. Also, if there was a noticeable whine, you could have sent it in for repair.
The loud(er) fans keep it cool, so I like them. I wish the fans on the MacBook would have kicked in more, I'll trade a little noise for the ability to use it on my lap any day. The smaller display (higher overall resolution though, 1400x1050) keeps the size down. The video card is a 64mb Mobility Radeon X1300 but it could be an integrated Intel for all I care.

I guess the wrong surface I was using the MacBook on would be my pants... The whine wasn't really a big deal, I could have lived with that. It was just the screen quality and the heat that got to me.

SEkker
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2006, 03:09 PM

The loud(er) fans keep it cool, so I like them. I wish the fans on the MacBook would have kicked in more, I'll trade a little noise for the ability to use it on my lap any day. The smaller display (higher overall resolution though, 1400x1050) keeps the size down. The video card is a 64mb Mobility Radeon X1300 but it could be an integrated Intel for all I care.

I guess the wrong surface I was using the MacBook on would be my pants... The whine wasn't really a big deal, I could have lived with that. It was just the screen quality and the heat that got to me.

Wow -- if the machine was too hot to sit on your lap, then I'd send it back to Apple for a replacement. Mine gets hot -- but only on top right above the keyboard. It's never prevented me from using it [and it's still cooler than the original edition PB12 models].

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SEkker
Wow -- if the machine was too hot to sit on your lap, then I'd send it back to Apple for a replacement. Mine gets hot -- but only on top right above the keyboard. It's never prevented me from using it [and it's still cooler than the original edition PB12 models].
Oh well, I'm not trying to turn the happy MacBook user thread to turn into a complaint thread. I mostly liked the MacBook, I just wasn't willing to accept it being so hot (plus a few other things), not when I've got a T60 with the exact same processors that runs completely cool. I only spoke out because I'm really disappointed that I wasn't happy with it, I was hoping I'd love it.

I'll get those comparison pictures taken tonight, VanillaEPS, and start a new thread with them.

jasonsRX7
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by VanillaEps
Post some comparison pics. I'd like to see them.
Here you go, pics as requested in this thread

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...36#post2954536

freakboy2
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2006, 08:50 PM

i didn't notice any heat with my wife's mbp. maybe there was something wrong with yours.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 09:05 PM

second day with my MBP. Yes it DOES get warm on the bottom, but not really on the top. iPhoto is amazingly quick compared to my G4 tower. Amazing. Bodes real good for when PS is native on Intel.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2006, 02:44 AM

Here's my take (MBP 2.0/2.0/100-7200/256) on the heat issue: Yes, it gets warm. Especially between the screen and the F keys. I'm not sure it really gets hotter than my PB G4 1.67GHz - I'd say they are similar. The heat definitely increases when you charge the battery and it decreases when you're running off battery vs. having it plugged into AC. OTOH it never gets so hot that I can't have it on my lap. Warm yes, really warm yes, but not hot and certainly nowhere near too hot to touch. Of course I never use it naked, so maybe having pants on helps.

If a MBP is really too hot to have on your lap, I'd suggest bringing it in.
•

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2006, 01:36 PM

To each their own. How hot it is can be subjective. I never used any of my laptops on my lap for extended periods of time.

You not only trade off the sound of fans but also in added weight and thickness/less features.

Some laptops get around this by having a hotswap bays and docking stations but I find such things to be user unfriendly.
( Last edited by aristotles; Apr 19, 2006 at 01:45 PM. )
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 19, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Voch
Which 12" PowerBook? The original one with VGA or a more recent model?

I'm still debating if I want to replace my TiBook with a MBP or wait for the iBook replacement. I have the money for a refurb MBP and might pull the trigger soon...
The 12" pbook was the first generation aluminum powerbook with VGA. It ran a lot hotter than my MBP.

My MBP has cool wrist rests and the only warm region is at the display hinge. One thing you would be careful about is opening and closing the lid on just one side. if you open and close alternating the middle, left and right side, you could avoid warping.

I had a gap on the left side develop because I was opening the lid by holding on the to the right side of the display.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

schalliol
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 04:17 PM

Perfectly happy. Love it...
iMac Late '15 5K 27" 4.0 Quad i7 24/512GB SSD OWC ThunderDock 2 Blu-Ray ±RW MBP '14 Retina 15" 2.6 16/1TB iPhone 7+ 128 Jet Black iPad Pro 128 + Cellular

FOR SALE: MP '06 Yosemite 8x3.0 24/240GB SSD RAID 0, 240GB SSD, 1.5TB HDD RAID 0, 1TB HDD, Blu-Ray±RW, Radeon HD 5770

aadfadsfa33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 12:11 AM

I'm in love with mine. I've hard it for a week now and it's amazing. My old laptop was a Dell Inspiron (2.8 GHz P4) so yeah, it was a beast, and this feels a lot faster than that (despite the 1 GHz slower clock speed) I'm not used to having a battery life at all (I was lucky to get an hour out of the Dell) and now I can take my MacBook all around campus with me on a single charge. It's great.

The whining isn't too bad, and I've gotten used to it. I also don't get it all the time. Otherwise, I have absolutely no complaints. I'd easily recommend any friend of mine to buy one if they were in the market for a new computer.

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 12:17 AM

No, i'm not 100% happy w/ my mbp.

1) Lid isn't gapless (especially on edges)
2) Plastic rim is a bit warped
3) Whine
4) Slightly hot

----------------

But these things didn't stop me from purchasing one As a matter of fact, i might RMA mine because the rims and gaps need to be fixed.

xe0
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 07:59 AM

Here's my take on the issues mentioned:

Heat: Mine gets really hot, but It doesn't bother me personally. I never use it on my lap.

Whine: Yes mine has it and its a recent model (it arrived 3 days ago) It doesn't worry me as Im always listening to music while working / surfing.

Personally I think some Mac users are spoiled by the quality of Apple products. The heat and whine 'issues' most people are complaining about are really minor issues that to do not prohibit the function of the unit. The unit performs extremely well and the build quality is fantastic imo.

Personally I'm 99% happy with my mbp. This little bugger is wicked. A great investment.

footar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by 24klogos
u should be 100% satisfied, u PAID for it.
You should send back your keyboard since the 'y' and 'o' keys seem to be sticking.

WOPR  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 20, 2006, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by footar
You should send back your keyboard since the 'y' and 'o' keys seem to be sticking.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

thayalan6868
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by kylemacr
I'm in love with mine. I've hard it for a week now and it's amazing. My old laptop was a Dell Inspiron (2.8 GHz P4) so yeah, it was a beast, and this feels a lot faster than that (despite the 1 GHz slower clock speed) I'm not used to having a battery life at all (I was lucky to get an hour out of the Dell) and now I can take my MacBook all around campus with me on a single charge. It's great.

The whining isn't too bad, and I've gotten used to it. I also don't get it all the time. Otherwise, I have absolutely no complaints. I'd easily recommend any friend of mine to buy one if they were in the market for a new computer.
Going from a Dell to a MBP. How was the transition for you? Are you able to be as efficient and effective going from XP to OS. I currently own and use a Dell Desktop and Dell notebook. My MBP should be arriving tomorrow morning. I'm really looking forward to learning and navigating the new OS.

02gtstang
Forum Regular
Apr 20, 2006, 09:31 AM

i just got mine yesterday. It does get really hot. but, I have a coolpad, thankfully. mine
has sligt gaps between the edges on both th eleft and right side, no worse than the
G4 powerbook I had. I can't hear the whine. It is noticeably faster than the machine
it replaced. I am quite thrilled with my purchase, even though I didn't really NEED it.

Yakov
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2006, 06:24 AM

sad to see this topic drop way down the 2nd page of headings...

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 02:57 PM

I'm interested in more GOOD stories about the MBP. I'm a Java developer trying to untether myself from my company's desktop Dell. I occasionally use my TiBook for testing but it's fairly slow for day-to-day Eclipse development work.

Caveat: I'm a lap user (I work from my recliner or sitting on my couch). I always wear full-length jeans while working but I'm seriously concerned about the heat.

Voch

pete
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 03:06 PM

I think the macbook pro is a really good computer. My summary would be:

Pros:

Performance,
Build quality, fit and finish
Much softer click button than previous powerboks
Isight is fun
Remote is fun
Display when viewed at optimum angle is very bright. Seems better in daylight than previous powerbooks

Cons:
Heat
Display viewing angles are quite limited and whites are noticeably darker the further up the display you look
Display bezel doesn't go back far enough

In my view, if the cons could be fixed, this would be without ANY question the best laptops I've seen. Unfortunately, Apple has made some weird design choices and I doubt these issues will be fixed in this generation of macbook.

As for heat: I don't think anybody can say that they run cool. Mine gets very warm in places, but the keyboad and handrest areas are just warm. Not great but not that bad either.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 03:47 PM

I'm interested in more GOOD stories about the MBP. I'm a Java developer trying to untether myself from my company's desktop Dell. I occasionally use my TiBook for testing but it's fairly slow for day-to-day Eclipse development work.

Caveat: I'm a lap user (I work from my recliner or sitting on my couch). I always wear full-length jeans while working but I'm seriously concerned about the heat.

Voch
I use my MBP on my lap all the time. Generally, I can keep it there for about two hours if I'm just surfing the web. If I start to play a game however I need to set it on a podium pad since the use of graphics make it really, really hot. So hot that I can touch the strip of metal between the keyboard and the screen.

However, the gateway laptop I had just before was just as hot if not hotter. I had some minor outpatient surgery one day and my legs still were under the effect of local anesthetic. I was using my PC laptop and when I was finished and the anesthetic wore off--I discovered that I had some painful burns on my legs from it. The burns were equivalent to what you would experience from a really bad sunburn. moral of the story? Don't place a laptop on your legs after surgery!

Voch
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 07:22 PM

Just...wow.

I *do * use a Podium CoolPad Traveller for my TiBook when doing CPU-intensive stuff so I have that for my future MBP. And most of my Java stuff isn't *that* CPU intensive...it's mostly editing for work and web surfing to look up APIs and such.

Voch

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 09:06 AM

Just...wow.

I *do * use a Podium CoolPad Traveller for my TiBook when doing CPU-intensive stuff so I have that for my future MBP. And most of my Java stuff isn't *that* CPU intensive...it's mostly editing for work and web surfing to look up APIs and such.

Voch
I was wearing shorts at the time, and luckily only my legs were burned.

STIdrvr4life
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2006, 09:24 PM

i absolutly love my mbp, ive had absolutly no problems whatsoever. it is a little wierd coming from the PC world, but im getting used to it quite quickly and enjoying every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules