Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aapl

Aapl (Page 4)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 09:45 AM

I'm almost surprised that anyone takes Morgan Stanley advice seriously these days.

Now down to $115 and change. Anyways, even though I bought at $131 I was expecting a drop into the 120s, and wasn't ruling out the possibility of the teens (but was hoping it wouldn't happen). However, lower than than $100 would surprise me, unless another bank bites the dust.

EDIT:

It has broken the $110 barrier. Now at $109 and change.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 29, 2008 at 09:56 AM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 10:53 AM

Apple is getting spanked.

It's days like this I wish I had money cocked and ready to buy.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2008, 11:38 AM

Last time this happened I bought in at $130, and sold at $190 a few months later. Seems like it might be time to buy in again.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 11:40 AM

I forget, but after product announcements there's usually a brief sell-off right?

Because if Apple treads water until the rumored MacBook announcements in two weeks, theoretically, this could go even lower.

moep
Senior User
Sep 29, 2008, 11:42 AM

buy now, yes/no?

(I’m quite clueless when it comes to investment, does it even make sense to invest in AAPL as a european?)
"The road to success is dotted with the most tempting parking spaces."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by moep View Post
buy now, yes/no?

(I’m quite clueless when it comes to investment, does it even make sense to invest in AAPL as a european?)
Maybe. If you had listened to me, you would have bought at $125. It's now at $110.

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
I forget, but after product announcements there's usually a brief sell-off right?

Because if Apple treads water until the rumored MacBook announcements in two weeks, theoretically, this could go even lower.
Well, the big moves usually come after the financial conference call. If they beat their own guidance, that means nothing. If they beat analysts' expectations (for both sales and guidance for the next quarter), then they may go up. However, if they are lower than analysts' expectations (for either sales or guidance for the next quarter), then they may just drop like a rock.

freudling
Banned
Sep 29, 2008, 02:49 PM

Now that Congress rejected the bailout plan, the stocks will continue to plummet. I predict Aapl will end up in the high 80s, early 90s at its lowest point within the next week.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 02:55 PM

Darn. I should have bought more gold on Fr.

-t

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 03:15 PM

Damn, forgot to update days ago. I sold at $135.21, made a very small amount of profit. I think I will be buying again when/if it hits $90.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2008, 03:59 PM

Though I am only participating in the stock market with play money compared to some of your investments (started with around 3000 $), I am glad that I sold just recently when AAPL was at 173 $ (I bought for 145). A very small profit in a short time.

I still have some shares, and I will most probably buy again for around 3000 $ if AAPL hits the 100, but I don't think I had the balls for putting 25000 $ or so on the fence.

Guess it is all relative.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2008, 04:12 PM

I just transferred some more cash into my account for another AAPL play. We'll see where she is tomorrow when the money shows up in the account. $90ish seems like a good place to buy, but I might buy if it "just" goes back down to $100ish.

P.S. I'm just glad my retirement is dependent on a defined-benefit pension plan and not directly on the stock market.
( Last edited by Eug; Sep 29, 2008 at 04:20 PM. )

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 04:37 PM

Put a couple grand in at 104. In the spirit of the current credit crunch, I don't really have the money to do it, but I did it anyway.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2008, 07:10 PM

I just started a transfer for a couple grand and will probably be buying AAPL in the very near future. Even if it drops to $85 after I buy it, it's sure to come back up past the current price in the not-so-distant future. At least I think so. Speculation is part of the fun.

I wouldn't put any money in if I was trying to save for retirement though. Everything is just too risky right now.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2008, 07:20 PM

The important question is whether or not it will rise back to the higher levels or stay down there and how long it will take.

It could be a buying opportunity or it could be "bad".

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
The important question is whether or not it will rise back to the higher levels or stay down there and how long it will take.
Wow, I think you just explained the entire premise of the stock market to me in one simple stroke.

I can see clearly now…

greg

[Almost 107 in pre-market trading… no I'm not taking anything from it]

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2008, 09:49 AM

I'm in (again) at $108ish. I was going to get it pre-market at cheaper, but I can't make such buys online. It requires a phone call, and I got called away just before I was gonna buy.

BTW, my web broker was hammered in the first 10 minutes. I couldn't access the site for a little while. However, I put it the buy order before the bell so it was already on the system anyway. Mind you, I could have just waited. After the initial spike just after the bell, it almost always falls back a bit in the morning (like it is now).

Actually, I've never purchased stock pre-market/after hours. I'm assuming I would have been allowed to do so with a phone call, but I'm not completely sure with this particular account. How many of you purchase stock during non-"working" hours?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2008, 09:50 AM

Bought in at $108.68... it may go lower today, but we'll see what it is in a month.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2008, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton View Post
Wow, I think you just explained the entire premise of the stock market to me in one simple stroke.

[Almost 107 in pre-market trading… no I'm not taking anything from it]
I realize that, but YOU have to make the decision and you have to make it now or lose out (or not).

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2008, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Powerbook View Post
Apple Slides After Morgan Stanley Predicts 10% Drop (Update1)
Target price for their prediction yesterday was $115.

Heh. They reached that just one day later. It's around $114 at the moment.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 10:37 AM

Testing the lows again. Now at $101. Maybe if it goes below $90 I'll buy some more.

If the bill gets passed tomorrow though, I'd expect a price boost.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 03:49 PM

It's really flirting with going cub-century mark.

moep
Senior User
Oct 2, 2008, 03:51 PM

http://finance.google.com/finance?q=aapl is quite fun to watch at the moment.

it dips to below $100.20 repeatedly and goes back up to around $100.50, should be <$100 in a few minutes regardless.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 03:56 PM

Must have been a ton of buy orders at $100.00. The stock has hit exactly that number but so far hasn't fallen through.

And it closed at $100.10.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 05:56 PM

Sadly I think the market will keep going down for now so I am holding off buying for now. AAPL has lost so much value that there is no way it can gain it all back in a day. My plan is to hold off buying until it has already started its climb back up. I may end up waiting until after the 14th since AAPL usually drops after product announcements.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

moep
Senior User
Oct 3, 2008, 08:47 AM

delete me
( Last edited by moep; Oct 3, 2008 at 09:02 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 10:22 AM

Steve Jobs did NOT have a heart attack.

Nonetheless, that was what was reported in a blog post somewhere, and AAPL suddenly fell to $94 before going back to over $100.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 10:23 AM

iReport: "When you need stock cheap, fast."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 10:26 AM

I was thinking it was somebody who shorted it.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 11:00 AM

I've been playing with some really volatile stock recently, fun times.
short haul ftw
we don't have time to stop for gas

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I've been playing with some really volatile stock recently, fun times.
short haul ftw
a year ago it was $980, six months ago it was $573, a month ago it was $300, yesterday it was $160 and today it is $200. yep wild ride for sure. too bad the trend is down.

But maybe the bailout will help get it back up there for you.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 03:50 PM

bought at 170.
we don't have time to stop for gas

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Steve Jobs did NOT have a heart attack.

Nonetheless, that was what was reported in a blog post somewhere, and AAPL suddenly fell to $94 before going back to over $100.
Seems a little worrisome, if you ask me. It makes you wonder what will happen to Apple as a company after Jobs finally kicks the bucket. Every time some rumor starts about his failing health or this or that, Apple's stock plummets. It's like people have forgotten that it's not actually Jobs who's coming up with new hardware for Apple.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Seems a little worrisome, if you ask me. It makes you wonder what will happen to Apple as a company after Jobs finally kicks the bucket. Every time some rumor starts about his failing health or this or that, Apple's stock plummets. It's like people have forgotten that it's not actually Jobs who's coming up with new hardware for Apple.
However, Jobs has a big part of it. He's the guy who shapes the direction of the products.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 3, 2008, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
So you reckon it's sheer coincidence that Apple was hugely successful when Steve was there, almost died after he was forced out, but then was resurrected against all odds right at the same time he came back?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

paul w
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2008, 04:39 PM

Steve's the guy with taste whose job is to yell at nerdy engineers. Totally, absolutely vital to Apple's success.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 10:53 AM

Holy crap! I understand that everything is sinking today, but we just plunged right through $100 and we're hovering around $90 now.

This is the first time I remember ever being on the right side of one of these declines, since I sold at $153, before the economy hit the fan. Remember, kids, it's not a profit until you sell!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 11:00 AM

Buying now is like grabbing for a falling knife. It'll hurt.

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 11:07 AM

Impressive, both the TSX and Dow Jones are below 10000. I'm glad I sold most of my stock in the 13500 range.

Of course our AAPL is taking that severe, severe beating, but OTOH, I might be tempted to buy some more yet again. I bought at 131, 108, and maybe some more at 85?

Nah, it's time for me to stop putting so much in just one stock. It's not just AAPL that's cheap now. EVERYTHING is cheap now. Hard to know which stocks will continue to get "cheaper" though. Everything is just crazy. What to buy, what to buy...

Holy crap! I understand that everything is sinking today, but we just plunged right through $100 and we're hovering around $90 now.
It went below $100 on Friday, and closed at $97 and change. Today it plunged through $90 and now is in the $91-92 range.

Dork.
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2008, 11:11 AM

Shows you how much I've been paying attention!

michad
Oct 6, 2008, 01:05 PM

So hopefully I didnt screw up....I've been watching Apple Stock since the middle 80's...never had the nerve to buy in, I now own a whopping 15 shares.
cessante causa cessat et effectus
when the cause ceases, so does the effect

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by michad View Post
So hopefully I didnt screw up....I've been watching Apple Stock since the middle 80's...never had the nerve to buy in, I now own a whopping 15 shares.
If you're in for the long haul, you should be fine.

If you're in short term, you might be just fine, or you could be screwed.

Anyways, 15 shares is only around $1300ish. Even if you lost 20% of that, that's still less than the cost of a Mac mini.

Don't worry...

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2008, 01:58 PM

Man, now $105 looks like such a horrible deal!

Now I'm considering doubling my money at $89, hahahaha!

greg

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2008, 03:52 PM

Holy crap. AAPL hit the green. That was quite the rally at the end of the day, up to over $97.

It's $10 over today's low.

Very volatile.

EDIT:

It jumped over $98 and finally settled at $97.54, exactly $10.00 higher than the intraday low, and up 0.48%.

That's pretty good considering the Nasdaq is down 4.3% and the S&P500 is down 3.6%. Some big fund was definitely on an AAPL shopping spree.

EDIT again:

Hmm.... The close was actually $98.14. It seems there may have been a glitch somewhere that had it at $97.54.
( Last edited by Eug; Oct 6, 2008 at 09:37 PM. )

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2008, 05:30 PM

...and then today AAPL is down over 9% on the day.

Why, oh why, does it keep getting spanked like this ? It was another bad day all round, but AAPL took a beating more than most. What's really ironic is that Apple is actually posting it's best results ever at the moment, iPhone is eating the competition's lunch and Mac sales are at all time highs. Weird

My take is that because Apple is diversified now, any negative news in one of the markets it competes in negatively effects the whole company. And right now, people are paying more attention to negative news than positive news (the media aint helping matters). It's hysteria.

For example: RIM warned that its sales were slumping - the result, AAPL gets hit with a stick. What people didn't take a moment to step back and consider is that it's f*cking Apple that's taking the market share off of RIM in the first place
( Last edited by Gee4orce; Oct 8, 2008 at 04:43 AM. )

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 7, 2008, 08:00 PM

It's AAPL, not APPL.

I'm tempted to buy more, but I rather just keep my extra cash as cash for now.

BTW, AAPL now has a quarter of its market value in cash. Interesting.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2008, 04:42 AM

yeah, I know :[ I kept typing APPLE and then deleting the 'E'. I'll correct my post because it's annoying/embarassing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 9, 2008, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
It's AAPL, not APPL.

I'm tempted to buy more, but I rather just keep my extra cash as cash for now.

BTW, AAPL now has a quarter of its market value in cash. Interesting.
Call me when it's 2/3. Until then, the stock and the whole market has still room to fall...

-t

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 09:23 AM

AAPL was up to as high as $104+ pre-market, although it's currently $102+ at the moment.

I wonder how much of it is due to the general view of the market, and how much of it is due to tomorrow's announcement. I also wonder if it will drop after the announcement tomorrow.

Also, perhaps part of it is Bernstein's upgrade to outperform:

Sanford C. Bernstein upgrades Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) from Market Perform to Outperform but lowered its price target to $135, saying the stock appears overly discounted, short-term financials remain healthy and long-term growth story remains intact.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 13, 2008, 09:24 AM

When did the new cases leak?

I was thinking earlier it'd do a brief post announcement drop, but what do I know.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 13, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
When did the new cases leak?
They started leaking several years ago.

Oh wait...

Forum Links
Forum Rules