Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Stealing ideas from former Wrongfully Terminated Employees

View Poll Results: Can Apple be blamed for Stealing the ideas and talents of victims of Racial Discrimin
Poll Options:
No 15 votes (78.95%)
Yes 4 votes (21.05%)
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
Apple Stealing ideas from former Wrongfully Terminated Employees
Newfie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 02:43 AM

I just wanted to get your opinions on something Apple is currently doing.

Apple's latest Mac OS X sales pitch (for 'Panther') includes a couple of mentioned programs and features including "Fast User Switching" which uses a 3D metaphor to switch users.

Ironically these features in Mac OS X were developed by Racially Segregated employees who presented the ideas to Apple Managers just to have them shot down and later be Fired or Terminated for not having White skin color or talking with an accent. Some were even fired after being threatened by other (White) employees becase of Sept. 11.

Other projects were "Closed" after the projects were completed, just to be reopend again by Apple, in order to "legalize" their Ethnic Cleansing activities. Apple even uses an existing few minority employees who are given token (and temporary) promotions as "managers" to do this kind of dirty work.

The victims were stripped of their stock options, (literally) told to go back to their Home Countries and some were thrown out in the streets on the same day.

So my question for everyone is: Can Apple be blamed for Stealing the ideas and talents of these victims if it rejected their work while they were working just to use it after the were wrongfully terminated?

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 02:52 AM

Uh where is the proof this is happening?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 02:56 AM

Sounds like total nonsense to me.

StrongGlad
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by Newfie:

Apple's latest Mac OS X sales pitch (for 'Panther') includes a couple of mentioned programs and features including "Fast User Switching" which uses a 3D metaphor to switch users.

Ironically these features in Mac OS X were developed by Racially Segregated employees who presented the ideas to Apple Managers just to have them shot down and later be Fired or Terminated for not having White skin color or talking with an accent. Some were even fired after being threatened by other (White) employees becase of Sept. 11.

Other projects were "Closed" after the projects were completed, just to be reopend again by Apple, in order to "legalize" their Ethnic Cleansing activities. Apple even uses an existing few minority employees who are given token (and temporary) promotions as "managers" to do this kind of dirty work.

The victims were stripped of their stock options, (literally) told to go back to their Home Countries and some were thrown out in the streets on the same day.

So my question for everyone is: Can Apple be blamed for Stealing the ideas and talents of these victims if it rejected their work while they were working just to use it after the were wrongfully terminated?

Ahhhhh, Ahhhhhhh, Bullshit!!!!!!

Newfie  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2003, 02:59 AM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
Uh where is the proof this is happening?
Complaints have been filed with Apple's Human resources department, but they simply tried to cover it up. (And they have hired a large staff for doing so)

It will be a matter of public record in a few days probably so it doesn't matter what Apple tries to do about it.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 03:02 AM

Its not a very clever idea to post accusations like the above in a public forum without having 100% proof available to back you up.

I still call BS on your post.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 03:04 AM

Complaints have been filed with Apple's Human resources department, but they simply tried to cover it up. (And they have hired a large staff for doing so)

It will be a matter of public record in a few days probably so it doesn't matter what Apple tries to do about it.
Sounds like one person got pissed for being fired for incompetence and is now playing the race card to "get back"

These things usually cause no ripples, and are quickly ignored.

Ganesha
Senior User
Oct 20, 2003, 03:07 AM

Steve Jobs admitted the stole Fast User Switching from Microsoft.

Pre Sept 11, is early 10.1, 10.0 days... Come on, Apple had better things to do with OS X then make a rotating Fast User Transition. If I was a manager I would of shot it down too. Good idea, but lets work on optimizing OS X first.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 03:18 AM

Fired or Terminated for not having White skin color or talking with an accent

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 03:21 AM

That image looks awfully familiar. Without sounding pissed, didn't you snag that from me an account or two ago?

Anyway, I wouldn't put the aformentioned antics beyond Jobs' reign at Apple. If what the guy says is true, it'll be confirmed in a few days. And if not, then we all just band together and laugh at him.

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 03:23 AM

Originally posted by Misanthrope:
That image looks awfully familiar. Without sounding pissed, didn't you snag that from me an account or two ago?
Nope, googled for it.

http://www.mendelova.cz/pages/multi/foto/Steve.jpg

Misanthrope
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 03:24 AM

Nope, googled for it.
Huh... :shrug:

dtriska
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 03:37 AM

�"legalize" their Ethnic Cleansing activities�
Um....okay...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2003, 03:53 AM

You'd better have some evidence for that claim.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 20, 2003, 03:54 AM

Yeah there better be evidence. Or else Apple COULD sue you for libel.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 03:55 AM

The worst thing is that their account name is Newfie.

What a way to disgrace the fine Newfie name.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

willed
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 04:42 AM

Yeah, well I hope you don't take offence if I wait until then before I believe you.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 05:22 AM

Ah - flamebait.

This calls for an unnecessary picture of Trogdor the Burninator.

"Arrrgg! Burninating the Countryside - Burninating the peasants"

You know it makes sense. ☼ ☼ ☼ Growl.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2003, 06:24 AM

I can only assume this is satire. No names, no figures, no proof. Simply an accusation but without telling a story of any kind. It's gotta be satire.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 06:53 AM

Must be. Or, considering the language, a Nigerian scam gone desperately wrong somewhere.

'Hello and greetings. I am Newfie, the widow of the late and right honourable N'Gwada O'Brian, lead software engineer at Apple computers.

Before succumbing to a particularly virulent form of writer's block my late husband was paid 11 million dollars by Steve Jobs for developing a couple of mentioned programs and features including "Fast User Switching" which uses a 3D metaphor to switch users.

His sudden death from mouse attack left us, his spouse and children, pennyless in an a penthouse in Beverly Hills. We were stripped of our stock options, (literally) told to go back to our Home Countries and some were thrown out in the streets on the same day.

We now have searched the internet for man of integrity and honourable. We want to deposit the sum above in your bank account to escape from evilness of Mr: Jobs and cronies.

Please send PM if you are willing to help this poor widow and helpless stripped of stock options daughters.'

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 08:10 AM

Mastrap wins the prize for...something.

FWIW, I *do* seem to remember there having been allegations of black employees having been fired at Apple a year or two back, and trying to turn it into a discrimination issue. Was up for a day or two, and I never heard anything after that.

Edit: Found a link on the lawsuit(Oct./Nov. 2001):
http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,48154,00.html
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2001/11/05/lawsuit/
And an editorial:
http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2001/11/08.1.shtml

-s*
( Last edited by Spheric Harlot; Oct 20, 2003 at 08:19 AM. )

voyageur
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 08:19 AM

And I heard that Steve Jobs is really the father of Bill Gates' child.
DNA proof is coming...

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 08:19 AM

Actually, I heard of this. What happened was that these employees tried to fly planes into Apple Headquarters in Cupertino, but THEY were shot down, not their ideas. The employees are dead, but their notebooks show what they were working on.

Oh, and since nobody's here to do it...

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 08:27 AM

Ummm.....yepper....
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

iWrite
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 08:28 AM

Why post baseless accusations?

Are you that much in need of post counts?

Seriously, if someone makes an allegation like that -- which may or may not be true -- you should have the chutzpah to back up your claim(s).

I'm with Mastrap and Zimph...

I don't believe it until you provide pr@@f.

Lerkfish
Oct 20, 2003, 08:37 AM

For a totally different angle on this situation:
if an employee develops ANY idea or concept while on company time for a company project, that is the company's intellectual property, not the employee's, unless prior arrangements have been made.

Even though at times this sucks, legally it makes sense. The employer has contracted the employee to develop a product and has purchased the product by paying him/her a salary. Even if that employee is later fired or leaves, the work done on that idea still belongs to the employer.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 08:41 AM

Racial discriminstion is a very serious crime. You'd better have some evidence that Apple has, in fact, been doing this.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 08:42 AM

Originally posted by iWrite:
Why post baseless accusations?

Are you that much in need of post counts?

Seriously, if someone makes an allegation like that -- which may or may not be true -- you should have the chutzpah to back up your claim(s).

I'm with Mastrap and Zimph...

I don't believe it until you provide pr@@f.

Well, there *IS* evidence of lawsuit regarding the sacking of a Black employee. I was unable to find any info whatsoever on the outcome of that, though.

Maybe someone with a better background in searching out legal info could find out whatever happened to that one, first.

-s*

Lerkfish
Oct 20, 2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Well, there *IS* evidence of lawsuit regarding the sacking of a Black employee. I was unable to find any info whatsoever on the outcome of that, though.

Maybe someone with a better background in searching out legal info could find out whatever happened to that one, first.

-s*
but as I pointed out (above), I don't think it matters. The two are separate issues....one is intellectual property, and the other is a discrimination suit. Even IF apple were proven discriminitory, that would not prevent them from using anything produced by the employees in question, if they produced it on company time.

Therefore, the accusation of "stealing" in this thread is (apparently) the baseless one.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 08:56 AM

Is anyone taking this seriously? The guy has a post count of 2.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

memento
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
For a totally different angle on this situation:
if an employee develops ANY idea or concept while on company time for a company project, that is the company's intellectual property, not the employee's, unless prior arrangements have been made.

Even though at times this sucks, legally it makes sense. The employer has contracted the employee to develop a product and has purchased the product by paying him/her a salary. Even if that employee is later fired or leaves, the work done on that idea still belongs to the employer.
thank you. score 1 for Lerkfish!
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
but as I pointed out (above), I don't think it matters. The two are separate issues....one is intellectual property, and the other is a discrimination suit. Even IF apple were proven discriminitory, that would not prevent them from using anything produced by the employees in question, if they produced it on company time.

Therefore, the accusation of "stealing" in this thread is (apparently) the baseless one.
That is certainly true.

Nevertheless, I am interested in whatever became of that racial discrimination suit I linked to above?

-s*

Beewee
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 10:47 AM

This is old news I heard a the whole "racist" story soon after Sept. 11th didn't put much stock in it then and certainly don't now.

..."legalize" their Ethnic Cleansing activities.

So Apple is apparently just an extension of the Nazi party?

Did some one get fired from Apple and decide to post a topic on an internet forum? Thats what happens when you share Panther over the internet.
( Last edited by Beewee; Oct 20, 2003 at 01:18 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 10:53 AM

I don't blame Apple. When you work for a company, what you develope on company time belongs to them!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 05:03 PM

I think we've found a use for Apple Legal... can I smell a libel suit?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 06:05 PM

He mentioned September 11, so it must be true.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2003, 06:06 PM

remember when woz had to go to hp and tell them about the apple computer because it was developed during his employment there?

the race card...again

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2003, 06:34 PM

in order to "legalize" their Ethnic Cleansing activities.
What, Apple is committing genocide? Oh the horror!! I knew letting Pol Pot on the Board of Directors was a mistake. Well, hindsight is 20/20...
Nemo me impune lacesset

sideus
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2003, 06:55 PM

I think the dude had a hidden agenda with this thread. It was to see how much of a ruckus he could stir up.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 20, 2003, 06:55 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Sep 6, 2004 at 11:18 AM. )

Uday's Carcass
Senior User
Location: Frozen storage at Area 51, wrapped in pigskin. My damned soul is never getting out of the Great Satan.
Oct 20, 2003, 07:31 PM

someone lock this idiotic thread and ban that mongrel.

Linfidels harken! 'The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.'

fireside
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 08:56 PM

i love this country. fire a black person for a legit reason and suddenly its racial discrimination.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2003, 10:10 PM

Nevertheless, I am interested in whatever became of that racial discrimination suit I linked to above?
repeated for emphasis.

-s*

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2003, 11:23 PM

repeated for emphasis.

-s*
From what I could find, the case involved one employee, who claims that his cubicle was moved away from other employees, and he was fired for bringing a friend on the Apple campus without permission. He's suing for $40 million. The suit was filed in 2001, and I can't find any reference to a verdict or a settlement, so it must still be in the court systems. I don't think that particular racial discrimination suit fits the bill of 'ethnic cleansing'.
Nemo me impune lacesset

gadster
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 12:52 PM

<snip> Racially Segregated employees ... Fired or Terminated for not having White skin color or talking with an accent. <snip> etc
If that is true, it sucks. And, yes, if true Apple can be blamed. It would surprise me if it were true, though.I guess the courts will Sort This One Out.
e-gads

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
From what I could find, the case involved one employee, who claims that his cubicle was moved away from other employees, and he was fired for bringing a friend on the Apple campus without permission. He's suing for $40 million. The suit was filed in 2001, and I can't find any reference to a verdict or a settlement, so it must still be in the court systems. I don't think that particular racial discrimination suit fits the bill of 'ethnic cleansing'.
$40 million! $40 MILLION! Bloody hell. I always thought the idea of lawsuits like this was for someone who has been wrongfully dismissed to be able to be compensated for lost earnings, stress etc caused by the dismissal. So maybe $100k or something like that. But $40 MILLION!!! The amount of compensation should be enough to "cancel out" the wrong, so that looking back on it the ex-employee should feel that he was hard done by, but now with the compensation everything's pretty much even, as if nothing had happened. With $40 million you'd be damn delighted that Apple had discriminated against you, and that can't be right.

Obviously there's a large element of punitive damages built in here, but if the intention is really to punish the employer, why does the resulting cash have to go to the ex-employee? Why not give the employee a reasonable amount to compensate them (say $100k) and the rest goes to the state, or to charity or something. Yes, yes, I know that this is civil not criminal law and all that and it's not going to happen, but it's pretty f*cked up really.

talisker
Mac Elite
Oct 21, 2003, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by gadster:
If that is true, it sucks. And, yes, if true Apple can be blamed. It would surprise me if it were true, though.I guess the courts will Sort This One Out.
The question would have to be "What has changed at Apple that meant they were trying to get rid of these employees based on skin colour, when they happily employed them in the first place?" Let's face it, if you a racially biased employer, I would imagine it's a hell of a lot easier to find excuses not to employ non-white people, than it is to get rid of them later.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by talisker:
Why not give the employee a reasonable amount to compensate them (say $100k) and the rest goes to the state, or to charity or something.
But that's what already happens!

...you just have to substitute "lawyer" for "charity".

-s*

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 21, 2003, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
From what I could find [...] it must still be in the court systems. I don't think that particular racial discrimination suit fits the bill of 'ethnic cleansing'.
Thank you for looking it up!

-s*

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2003, 12:02 AM

We have people with disabilities at work. Basically you can't fire them.

This one lady actually QUOTES the ADA (american disabilities act) standards.

Something you will never hear:
We can't fire him, he's a white young to middle aged male.

Forum Links
Forum Rules